Chemists warming to Cold Fusion.

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Chemists warming to Cold Fusion.

Post by Diogenes »

At Annual Convention, Chemists Warm to Cold Fusion

Looking for new energy solutions, scientists are increasingly embracing the idea of cold fusion, once considered a junk science along the lines of alchemy. "Cold fusion" describes the nuclear fusion of atoms at close to room temperatures, as opposed to the epic temperatures at which nuclei fuse inside stars. If realized on a practical scale, it could provide the world with a virtually limitless source of energy.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/articl ... old-fusion

Note the Calorimeter measuring 50 Megawatts. :)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Note the Calorimeter measuring 50 Megawatts
Did some one make the mW vs MW mistake again?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Snippet from article:
He used the system to measure what happened when he charged an ammonium chloride solution, and found that it formed nitrogen trichloride and 50 megawatts of excess power.
The author didn't know her units, and neither did the editor. Not that I'd expect much from popsci, but sheesh.

Aero

Post by Aero »

JohnP wrote:Snippet from article:
He used the system to measure what happened when he charged an ammonium chloride solution, and found that it formed nitrogen trichloride and 50 megawatts of excess power.
The author didn't know her units, and neither did the editor. Not that I'd expect much from popsci, but sheesh.
How much solution did he charge up? A pint is one thing, 20 gallons is quite another. At 50 MW, how much solution would vaporize?
Aero

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

Science Daily covered the conference as well. Mega or Mili aside, it looks like there's some interesting research being done:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 182909.htm

The article lists presentations at the bottom, some of which might be searched up to find out more specific actual details.

Mike

rcain

Post by rcain »

Aero wrote:How much solution did he charge up? A pint is one thing, 20 gallons is quite another. At 50 MW, how much solution would vaporize?
.. all of it, along with most of the lab, i should imagine.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

rcain wrote:
Aero wrote:How much solution did he charge up? A pint is one thing, 20 gallons is quite another. At 50 MW, how much solution would vaporize?
You beat me to it.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

rcain

Post by rcain »

... though to be fair, no one said anything about the time period involved...

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

MSimon wrote:
rcain wrote:
You beat me to it.
Lets see... 50 MegaWatts.
That would power a 1000 W space heater for 50,000 seconds, or ~15 hrs.,
or a ~70,000 HP jet engine for ~ 1 second. Turn that on in a lab and things would get exciting.

http://www.ocean.washington.edu/courses ... umbers.pdf

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Uh. MW is a rate.

pfrit

Post by pfrit »

MSimon wrote:Uh. MW is a rate.
He could have used a swimming pool for his experiment... :)
What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

or a ~70,000 HP jet engine for ~ 1 second. Turn that on in a lab and things would get exciting.
This calculation confuses me. Those 50 MegaWatts up there are missing a time component in there, or am I missing something. 50MW for a picosecond is a lot less energy than 50MW for an hour... I dont think you can take the 50MW and turn them into Watts/hour just like that...

Aero

Post by Aero »

Skipjack wrote:
This calculation confuses me. Those 50 MegaWatts up there are missing a time component in there, or am I missing something. 50MW for a picosecond is a lot less energy than 50MW for an hour... I dont think you can take the 50MW and turn them into Watts/hour just like that...
50 megawatt = 180 000 000 000 joule/hour,
50 megawatt = 50 000 000 joule/second
by my online units converter.

From this I suspect that the experimental measurement was on the order of seconds to minutes and that those who posit a typo (mW vs MW) are correct.
Aero

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Aero wrote: 50 megawatt = 180 000 000 000 joule/hour,
50 megawatt = 50 000 000 joule/second
50 joule/usec
0.000 05 joule/psec

How long?

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Well I do my numbers with MWh, KWh, etc. Not MW and KW.
If you had said it had produced so and so many MWh and then gone on with your calculation, I would have understood.
A gallon of gas produces so and so many KWh not KW.