emc2's website

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

choff

emc2's website

Post by choff »

emc2 have updated their website, new details.
CHoff

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Cool beans!

http://www.emc2fusion.org/

WB-D would be a 100 MW demo device ... "In design phase." But what is the fork lift for?

Still after contributions? Interesting.
Last edited by Tom Ligon on Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

choff

Post by choff »

Relative scale. Photo of WB7 looks straight out of sci-fi, maybe we get to hear something from FOI request soon.
CHoff

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

The WB-8 drawing looks like a good 3D CAD rendering, maybe SolidWorks or a comparable package. I don't think that is for show, I think it from actual engineering drawings. I suspect it is a pretty decent representation of what they are running.

Lots of ports! I like it! I was trying to do something like that with the chamber that WB-6 ran it, but I kept holding back. This baby shows no restraint. Ports not just on-axis, but on diagonals, so you can put beams thru the central convergence but not the cusps. Ports up and down the "funny cusps" too ... since they are open on the later models that makes good sense.

Aero

Post by Aero »

On the WB-8 image, the coil spacing looks awfully tight. I don't see any nubs. Does the increased magnetic field strength tighten it up that much? And does anyone have a guess at the scale?
Aero

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

My guess is that there are no nubs, but that they did what we've all thought of, supported the coils individually from the outside of the box.

I'm interested in the specific wording of the website: "Your Contributions Will Help Us Design The WB-D Polywell Device" (italics mine).

The WB-8 work is apparently still underway, and I would not expect WB-D design to be funded until the results are in on WB-8, reviewed, etc. They seem to be looking for contributions aimed at getting a head start on the big reactor.

No point in reading too much into that, what with you troublemakers a day away from something from the FOIA request. Just getting on the record here that this particular signatory of a NDA is not a party to the request. I am wondering if the updated website is aimed expressly at this forum: maybe they think when you see the results you're going to want to contribute.

I'm thinking about it. I need to convince the wife. She's Irish, so maybe she will be in a good mood tonight.

choff

Post by choff »

Under emc2 has proven it says, confinement behavior WB8, 2010. That's reading into the tea leaves a bit, but would seem to indicate they have a handle on how the confinement works on the device. I think it shows the modified funny cusp attachments as well.
CHoff

choff

Post by choff »

with detailed diagnostics!
CHoff

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Isn't this is like watching a flock of pigeons all swooping down on a single crumb?!

ltgbrown

Post by ltgbrown »

Notice the m in MW is capitalized! Very exciting.
Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Chris, this is not a crumb, it is a whole loaf of bread. At least it looks like a loaf of bread ....

(The pigeon inspects the strange wire framework above what appears to be a loaf of bread with some trepidation, but that loaf of bread sure looks tasty ...)

choff

Post by choff »

I didn't sign on to the FOI request, worry it might put things back, but then if we do get more info I'll take it.
CHoff

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Maybe this is to make up for the FOIA request coming back blank.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

or not.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Once again (the same was done with the old WB7 "test glow" picture) the picture posted is larger than apparent. Here it is 500p wide and full size if you click: