Polywell FOIA

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Polywell FOIA

Post by ladajo »

Sorry I have been quiet of late, this whole Haiti thing has kept me fairly busy. In light of the news derth (expected) I thought I might stir the pot here, as well as provide a glimmer of hope for loyalists of all kilts.
So, I submitted a FOIA as previously discussed on 7Jan10. I thought you all might want to know where it is at. As is always said..."follow the money".

This should give us the official navy position on data share at a minimum. I'll keep you posted on what happens next. Just don't think it will be tomorrow. I think this happens in sets of 30 day deadlines.
Keep your fingers crossed, and let the general debate on whether or not they will release anything substantial begin (again).

Core text of Response Letter starts here:

SUBJECT: FOIA Request 10-0078
This letter is in response to your January 07, 2010, request for a copy of test reports and information regarding NAVAIR Solicitation #N68936-09-R-0044 Polywell Research. Specifically current project status as well as previous contracts: research analysis, development, and testing to validate the basic physics of the AGEE concept under contracts: N0014-93-C-0224, N0014-96-C-0039, N68936-09-P-0029, N68936-09-P0095,
N68936-09-P-0133, N68936-03-C-0031. Test, research and reporting documents and presentations for WB-6, WB-7, and WB7.1 to include peer review submission packages and review results. Your request has been processed in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C § 552.
Commander, Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) is not the custodian of the above listed documents. We have confirmed that the proper custodian of the documents regarding contracts N0014-93-C-0224 and N0014-96-C-0039 is the Office of Naval Research (ONR). Their address is: Office of Naval Research, Freedom of Information Act Officer, One Liberty Center, Code OOCC, Room 524B, 875 N. Randolph Street, Arlington, VA 22203-1995. The proper custodian of the documents regarding contracts N68936-09-P-0029, N68936-09-P-0095, N68936-09-P-0133, N68936-03-C-0031 is the Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division (NAWCWD). Their address is Commander (Code KOOOOOD-FOIA), Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division (NAWCWD), 1 Administration Circle, Stop 1009, China Lake, CA 93555-6100. Accordingly, your request has been forwarded to the above listed commands for processing.

:End of core text to letter.

Diogenes

Re: Polywell FOIA

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:Sorry I have been quiet of late, this whole Haiti thing has kept me fairly busy. In light of the news derth (expected) I thought I might stir the pot here, as well as provide a glimmer of hope for loyalists of all kilts.
So, I submitted a FOIA as previously discussed on 7Jan10. I thought you all might want to know where it is at. As is always said..."follow the money".

This should give us the official navy position on data share at a minimum. I'll keep you posted on what happens next. Just don't think it will be tomorrow. I think this happens in sets of 30 day deadlines.
Keep your fingers crossed, and let the general debate on whether or not they will release anything substantial begin (again).

Core text of Response Letter starts here:

SUBJECT: FOIA Request 10-0078
This letter is in response to your January 07, 2010, request for a copy of test reports and information regarding NAVAIR Solicitation #N68936-09-R-0044 Polywell Research. Specifically current project status as well as previous contracts: research analysis, development, and testing to validate the basic physics of the AGEE concept under contracts: N0014-93-C-0224, N0014-96-C-0039, N68936-09-P-0029, N68936-09-P0095,
N68936-09-P-0133, N68936-03-C-0031. Test, research and reporting documents and presentations for WB-6, WB-7, and WB7.1 to include peer review submission packages and review results. Your request has been processed in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C § 552.
Commander, Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) is not the custodian of the above listed documents. We have confirmed that the proper custodian of the documents regarding contracts N0014-93-C-0224 and N0014-96-C-0039 is the Office of Naval Research (ONR). Their address is: Office of Naval Research, Freedom of Information Act Officer, One Liberty Center, Code OOCC, Room 524B, 875 N. Randolph Street, Arlington, VA 22203-1995. The proper custodian of the documents regarding contracts N68936-09-P-0029, N68936-09-P-0095, N68936-09-P-0133, N68936-03-C-0031 is the Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division (NAWCWD). Their address is Commander (Code KOOOOOD-FOIA), Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division (NAWCWD), 1 Administration Circle, Stop 1009, China Lake, CA 93555-6100. Accordingly, your request has been forwarded to the above listed commands for processing.

:End of core text to letter.
Awesome! Reminds me of This.

It's about time somebody did!

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

I was referred to this website;

http://www.navair.navy.mil/nawcwd/couns ... oia-fr.htm

which says what you've mostly just said. (I baulked at agreeing to paying up to $250 for what I expect I can already anticipate in any reply scenario. I'm glad you've agreed to, we can find out what's what.)

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

it would be great to be able to find out what the results were, in a more than vague way.... I`m sure the US has more than one way to ovveride the FOIA. National sacurity, etc..

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Chris,
You don't have to pay the fee. They will cover the first two hours of research, and the first 100 pages. After that they bill you on reproduction costs. In this case I requested electronic, which means little to no cost.
We shall see. Maybe I will start a donation fund if it gets silly. But based on previous reports, I do not think it will be. I got confirmation today that it was indeed referred to ONR and NAVAIR Weapons as the document custodians. Now I(we) wait for them to respond. I would expect a couple of weeks at most, due to the specificity of the request. It is a "no brainer" for them to locate the files requested given how I id'd them. The fuzzy part will be any release of WB-8 updates, as it is a work in progress.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

'Fraid my experiences of life dictate that where someone says "xyz may cost up to $250" then I just read that as "xyz will cost $250".

In UK, the recipient of the request has to say how much it will cost (if anything - like you, they can't charge for 'finding' the documents, only reproduction) before they go hunt the docs.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Here they do the work, then tell you if and how much you need to pay to get what you want.

ladajo

Progress

Post by ladajo »

NAVAIR Weapons Division works fast apparently.

Got a letter, saying they recevied my request 26Jan10. It has been assigned reference number NAWCWD20100021. (Apparently I am one the early bird list this year by the number!)

They say the records search will only encompass records in exsitance by 26Jan10. They also say my full fee waiver request was not robust enough. (No kidding boys, the explanation block on the form does not give you space for any degree of latitude...). Although they did give me some additional gudelines to help justify the total free part.

All that said, they have granted me the 2 hours, 100 pages bit. They say that my search criteria was broad and will run up the bill. So to that end they have asked for me to either agree to the money (Hat Tip to Chrismb) or tell them which parts are most meanful to me for the 2hours, 100 pages. I have TEN BUSINESS DAYS from 27Jan10 to respond or they will close the file.

So what should I focus the search to? WB7 Peer review package and peer review results? Answer fast boys.

I the mean time I will put together an appeal on the cost part for additional info.

At this time, I have not yet heard from ONR.

Cheers!

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

First page (2?, 3? pages) of every document produced by EMC2 after Sep 2006? Use it for a more focused FOIA where we have some idea what to look for. I will help with the cost if you so desire. PM me.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Peer review.

That would be of most use here.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

BTW I got a reply from Rick today about some shoot the sh*t stuff.

So he may be in a slack period.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Aero

Post by Aero »

I agree - peer review should have everything through the end of WB-7, and in a complete package.

That is what got us to WB-8. There won't be much in the way of results available yet for WB-8 as the project is not completed. Anyway, will they even release any useful information from an ongoing contract?
Aero

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

BTW I got a reply from Rick today about some shoot the sh*t stuff.
For those of us that are not able to speak amarican english to the point of understanding this sentence:
What exactly does that mean? Is there a problem with the experiments?
Is the thing not working? Are there other problems?

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Shoot the sh#t = everyday stuff, small talk, gossip. Nowadays you can google most idioms in major languages. There's a few websites specialized in vocabulary and etymology that are indexed by at least google.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Did anyone keep a breakdown of what each contract was? I tried looking last night but got no luck.
I have also been thinking Peer Review (which I am not sure if NAVAIR has, or ONR - still nothing from them), and/or maybe a specific targeted contract number for Executive Summary type package...thus the reason for which Contract was which.

Be nice to know what Rick thinks about this fishing expedition...but he probably needs to stay out of it under contractual terms.