ITER Video

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

ITER Video

Post by MSimon »

http://www.videogully.com/The-Starmaker ... vIUO4.html

It explains pretty well what a huge kluge ITER is. The narrator seems thrilled by the prospect. As an engineer all I can say is ugh. Ugly. Ugly. Ugly.

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Roger

Post by Roger »

The video makes it out to be this huge monstrosity, a bit like "The Forbidden Planet" Sci fi Movie of many decades ago. Somebody spent some good money on that all that 3D animation too. Good PR.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Where is Tobor when you need him?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

One word comes to mind watching this:

ENIAC.

Skytreker

Post by Skytreker »

Man, they've probably spent more bucks for this presentation as the entire Bussard project was getting for a year!
Normally I wouldn't mind if it was not the open hostilities in the orthodox scientific community against anything new and innovative like polywell. Hostility which often degrades to ugly scuffle for money. Muscleing out enything that stands on the path between ITER(TOKAMAK) projects and their continuous funding.

So thumbs down for ITER, and charms squeezed for polywell to send this monster to oblivion and mankind to the stars!

JD

Post by JD »

Well, at least it can be used for a jogging track if nothing else.

Zixinus

Post by Zixinus »

[insert ITER degrading comments here]

My favourite was: "Increasing the size does make a good way for fusion. Once you have hydrogen at the mass of a solar mass or so, you have a practical fusion reactor."

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

I don't get the hate.

It's about budgets, okay. But both sides of this are attempting to get to the same destination, controlled terrestrial fusion.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

scareduck wrote:I don't get the hate.

It's about budgets, okay. But both sides of this are attempting to get to the same destination, controlled terrestrial fusion.
It is not about hate. It is about stupidity. If Europe didn't have all its eggs in ITER's basket we might be farther along.

Second - if it is worth doing it is worth doing faster.

With IEC we can go faster for less. If nothing else we might be able to get a better handle on ITER's feasibility quicker.