A Question For Physicists

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

A Question For Physicists

Post by MSimon »

I'm slightly familiar with quantum entanglement.

If the Big Bang theory is true why aren't all particles in existence entangled?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

rcain

Re: A Question For Physicists

Post by rcain »

MSimon wrote:I'm slightly familiar with quantum entanglement.

who says they aren't?

have they observed them all? ;)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

rcain wrote:

who says they aren't?

have they observed them all? ;)
I think that can be falsified by noting that at least in our local area of the universe it takes special effort to produce entanglement.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Is this not to do with the issue of conserved quantum [angular] momentum?... at the 'moment of the big bang' (I've a different suggestion, but I'll presume it is the case for the purposes of this post) whatever it was that was created had some finite quantum momentum total for the universe. Thereafter you have a different question - when particles are created, so the quantum angular momentum must remain the same.

In other words - all particles that are curently in existence, and have been since the big bang, *are* entangled with each other, but those created since then have, themselves, been created at some instant and location in which there is specific entanglement with (an)other particle(s).

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

Personally I would think it's a matter of de-coherence. It's rather hard to keep entanglement more than a millisecond.

pfrit

Post by pfrit »

If you follow the copenhagen interpretation of QM, then all the entanglements broke on their own almost immediately. If you follow the many worlds interpretation, it just appears to us in our quantum state that the collapsed. The event cone continues in that case. Either way they do not appear connected to us now. And since there is no realistic way of differentionating the two states, it makes no difference. OTOH, the copenhagen interpretation is boring. :)
What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.