Any love for Polywell from Obama?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

2edfe9

Any love for Polywell from Obama?

Post by 2edfe9 »

Late last year it sounded like funding was in a holding pattern until the new administration had settled in...

I believe Obama released his budget a few weeks ago. I haven't looked too closely but I was wondering if there are any hints if programs like Polywell research will receive any funding?

If not, is there any chance that the navy might go in for joint funding from one of its allies? If so I could try to bring the program to the attention of some researchers and politicians up here in Canada.
Patrick A

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

It looks like the DoD has $2 million for Polywell.

viewtopic.php?p=18633#18633
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

StevePoling

sorry, i couldn't resist

Post by StevePoling »

MSimon wrote:It looks like the DoD has $2 million for Polywell.

This administration must relatively hate Polywell, because it has billions for everyone else.

MSimon

Re: sorry, i couldn't resist

Post by MSimon »

StevePoling wrote:
MSimon wrote:It looks like the DoD has $2 million for Polywell.

This administration must relatively hate Polywell, because it has billions for everyone else.
They are trying to avoid wasteful spending.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Helius

Re: sorry, i couldn't resist

Post by Helius »

MSimon wrote:
They are trying to avoid wasteful spending.
It's thin consolation that a smidgen of useful spending is slipping through the cracks. Today he's on about high speed rail. Sheesh.

Professor Science

Post by Professor Science »

Well when his opponents decry looking at fruitflies how is he going to get turning a wiffle ball into a nuclear reactor past them? hmmm?
The pursuit of knowledge is in the best of interest of all mankind.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Professor Science wrote:Well when his opponents decry looking at fruitflies how is he going to get turning a wiffle ball into a nuclear reactor past them? hmmm?
Of this particular bill Pollywell represents about 1/3,000th of 1% of the spending.

And you are telling me that with control of the House and effective control of the Senate Mr. Obama couldn't up that number by as much as a factor of 10X or more?

And do you truly think that making an issue of Pollywell research would help the Republicans? People hate flies and love cheap energy.

Professor Science

Yeah, but republicans are ill informed enough to know that fruit flies are one of the primary means of studying genetics you could easily convince them that WB fusors are equally "wasteful".

Yes, 20 million would be better than 2 million, but 2 million will go a pretty good way.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Professor Science wrote:Yeah, but republicans are ill informed enough to know that fruit flies are one of the primary means of studying genetics you could easily convince them that WB fusors are equally "wasteful".

Yes, 20 million would be better than 2 million, but 2 million will go a pretty good way.
I'm a Republican (libertarian flavor). I was unaware that I was so ill informed. Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep reminding myself that I'm ignorant of genetics.

Some one impersonating me posted this on my blog and I have been unable to remove it because of my Republican stupidity.

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... sease.html

And you know I believe ten impossible Republican things before breakfast. Like increasing government spending and taxes will lower economic output and hurt the poor the most. That taxing carbon will raise the cost of all goods and even a rebate for the increase in direct costs (like electricity) will not cover the cost of the increased price of energy. And of course the poor will be hurt the worst. That taxing carbon will drive energy intensive industries to China and India. And of course the poor will be hurt the worst. I believe that government controlling industry though regulation and taxes is a form of fascism. And that the poor (esp those without jobs) will be hurt the worst.

We will have another 3 years and some to find out if I'm right. Or maybe we will know by late November 2010.

====

It is my mission in life to see that Polywell is not starved of funds until we get a yes or no answer. So far (according to Rick Nebel) me and the other bloggers haven't done too bad. I intend to do better.

Professor Science

I hate debating with you, it's like we start off with different first principles, as if two physics were arguing over some inductive effect and used a different value for the charge of an electron, all the logic is fine on both sides but they can't come to anything resembling an agreement, and one of them is a tremendous dick about it.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Professor Science wrote:I hate debating with you, it's like we start off with different first principles, as if two physics were arguing over some inductive effect and used a different value for the charge of an electron, all the logic is fine on both sides but they can't come to anything resembling an agreement, and one of them is a tremendous dick about it.
OK. Jimmy Carter tried the Obama way. And Ford and Nixon before him. It didn't work.

In fact the most successful government policy for getting us out of economic difficulties is to reduce taxes on production. Historically. However, you might very well be correct. This time it will be different.

What we do know is that Carter's policies produced the misery index and stagflation. Typically it takes 12 to 18 months for a government spending bubble to have an economic effect. So the inflationary pressures will hit just in time for the 2010 elections. Certainly they will be in full force by Nov of 2012. Heh.

But look at it this way: taxes on producers lowers production. With a relatively constant money supply that has to produce inflation because you have a given quantity of dollars chasing a reduced quantity of goods. With the inflation of the money supply going on it will be worse.

Or look at another sector of the economy. Before the Government got seriously involved in the medical sector - prices in the medical sector were rising at an unconscionable 5% a year rate. Once government got involved in a big way it rose at a much more reasonable 10% a year rate.

But not to worry. This time it will be different.

Carter eliminated the economic stupidity of the nation for a generation. Obama will be educating another generation. Thank the Maker.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The only way out of this mess will be to reduce the cost of inputs. Which is why (for the time being) Polywell gives me hope.

And yes. One of us is seriously mistaken in his premises. But time will tell who has fell and who is left behind....

Professor Science

Just throw half the budget at the NSF and keep the grants coming and everything will more or less work out for the better, an excess of scientists is better for a society than an excess of bankers and investors.
Last edited by Professor Science on Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjyetman

Post by cjyetman »

Do you really believe Obama has personally decided against funding Polywell because of his Democratic Party ideals?

As far as I know, George Bush wasn't funding Polywell either.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

cjyetman wrote:Do you really believe Obama has personally decided against funding Polywell because of his Democratic Party ideals?

As far as I know, George Bush wasn't funding Polywell either.
Neither Obama nor Bush were into Polywell. Or both were.

After all funding was resumed in Aug of 007. And has continued through the change of administrations.

I was told by Dr. Bussard (in a general thank you letter) that the pressure from blogs helped. Dr. Nebel has said the same thing. So some one is keeping score.

We do know definitely that John McCain is aware of Polywell.

And I do know of Reps. who have been contacted by people energized by this board and other sources.