Strange polywell idea

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

pfrit

Strange polywell idea

Post by pfrit »

I had a weird idea. The main issue being tested is if the power scales as Dr B described. Everyone seems to be suggesting changing multiple parameters while increasing size. Why not try the reverse? Make an identically designed polywell that is 50% smaller THAN wb 7? It would be significantly cheaper than a larger one and would accurately test the scaling issues. You would be only changing one parameter that would test the main premise. Just an idea...
What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

tombo

Post by tombo »

I asked that one once.

The answer was that the more interesting and lesser known phenomena are at the larger sizes and higher fields.
Also, the equations' nonlinearities become more important as it gets larger and the fields stronger.
Also there were a number of early experiments at smaller sizes.
-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

But could it be worthwhile in any way, and affordable enough for an amateur ?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Betruger wrote:But could it be worthwhile in any way, and affordable enough for an amateur ?
http://prometheusfusionperfection.wordpress.com/
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Very cool, thanks.

pfrit

Post by pfrit »

tombo wrote: Also there were a number of early experiments at smaller sizes.
I see what you are saying, but the earlier experiments were with different configurations. If the design was identical even small changes would be significant. I guess the question really is how much would a smaller identical machine cost. If a reduction of 50% or 25% in size would cost 50% or 75% of the price or even 40% or 65%, it probably wouldn't be worth it.
What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

Roger

Re: Strange polywell idea

Post by Roger »

pfrit wrote:I had a weird idea.
Not so weird.

Power supply would be the same, but for a device 50% smaller, for example. SO WB-6 would generate 128x more fusion than a 1/2 size device should......

There is private money around, whether grants or arranging for a special college endowment.

I think this could be a low cost method to look at scaling, though I fear accuracy will lose out on the small scale.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.