What should our electrical basis be?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Helius

What should our electrical basis be?

Post by Helius »

kurt9 wrote:
Art Carlson wrote:My favorite proposal to use boron was as a replacement for gasoline. Boron is a solid that does not burn in air (safe!), but it will burn in pure oxygen. So you put a plant in your car that extracts oxygen from the air. Throw a few blocks of boron from the next service station into your trunk, and take off. The only product of the combustion is boron oxide, also an inert solid. You can either pack the blocks of boron oxide along to exchange at the next service station, or throw them out on the side of the road to be collected from time to time. Ideally, this is a zero emission car. I mean zero. No CO2, no H2O, not even warm air. Maybe someday, ....
How expensive is boron? Is refining it to make it pure enough for this application expensive? Aluminum is mined in oxide form and is very cheap. However, 5-nines Aluminum is really expensive because of the electricity, among other things, necessary to purify it. I assume that Boron is processed by electrolysis similar to that of Aluminum.
This would still require an electric energy basis, and through our inaction we're going to depend on Coal. It's the "my way or the Highway" tacit demand by the Environmental movement and the existing energy producers. The pollution will still be there, except it will be on the front end rather than the back end.

OK, I'm more than a little angry.

We should be Bearing down on MSRs (molten salt reactors) and also researching improvements in neutron economies through electric neutron generation, but since that is an ACTUAL road to a solution, it ain't gonna happen.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Bitter, aren't we. And I mean "we" in its most specific meaning. I'm a tad bitter about it too.

jmc

Post by jmc »

Got any money to start a company?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

jmc wrote:Got any money to start a company?
There are plenty of regulations designed to keep new competitors off the market.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

MSimon wrote:
There are plenty of regulations designed to keep new competitors off the market.
Which makes me wonder what would happen when someone builds their own polywell and takes themselves off the grid.

Roger

Post by Roger »

krenshala wrote:
Which makes me wonder what would happen when someone builds their own polywell and takes themselves off the grid.
LOL.

Here in NJ I would just one get one of those electric meters that spin backwards.

I guess they would want to know where I got the 1200MW from.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

krenshala wrote:
MSimon wrote:
Some guy up in this area was collecting radioactive materials to build his own reactor. His wife murdered him and is trying to claim she was defending the environment. Cops are trying to make it sound like a dirty bomber. Nuclear experts are saying he was building some sort of reactor.

Anybody who tries to go off grid with nuclear will be SWATted by the govt with the media portraying them as dirty bombers.

imaginatium

Post by imaginatium »

IntLibber wrote:
krenshala wrote:
MSimon wrote: There are plenty of regulations designed to keep new competitors off the market.
Some guy up in this area was collecting radioactive materials to build his own reactor. His wife murdered him and is trying to claim she was defending the environment. Cops are trying to make it sound like a dirty bomber. Nuclear experts are saying he was building some sort of reactor.

Anybody who tries to go off grid with nuclear will be SWATted by the govt with the media portraying them as dirty bombers.

That would be pretty hard to claim with p-B11.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

IntLibber wrote:Some guy up in this area was collecting radioactive materials to build his own reactor. His wife murdered him and is trying to claim she was defending the environment. Cops are trying to make it sound like a dirty bomber. Nuclear experts are saying he was building some sort of reactor.

Sounds like David Hahn.
Vae Victis