Solicitation Details Available

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Solicitation Details Available

Post by KitemanSA »

The details of the Jan 8 pre-solicitation are now available at:

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity ... e&_cview=1

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Blogged it:

http://iecfusiontech.blogspot.com/2009/ ... alive.html

gave you a H/T - I add a few details and link to the contract pdf.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote: gave you a H/T ...
OK, so what is a H/T?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
MSimon wrote: gave you a H/T ...
OK, so what is a H/T?
Hat Tip. It means I mentioned you as the source. In fact I link back to your post. Have a look.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote: Hat Tip. It means I mentioned you as the source. In fact I link back to your post. Have a look.
Saw it. Thanks! :D

kurt9

Re: Solicitation Details Available

Post by kurt9 »

KitemanSA wrote:The details of the Jan 8 pre-solicitation are now available at:

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity ... e&_cview=1
This is the appropriate next step to take in the development of polywell fusion. Even though the WB-7 experiments last summer were promising, polywell is still very much a speculative technology. We cannot expect the bureaucracy of the Federal government to fund it at a higher level than this.

Success with this follow on contract will build more "yes" momentum for further development.

choff

Post by choff »

If my understanding is correct, the keepalive contracts previous to these, were to modify WB7 by adding ion guns+instrumentation. The idea was to test if the neutron counts were misleading and caused by ion-background gas collisions as opposed to ion-ion collisions. By awarding these new keepalive contracts, one could infer the neutron counts are indeed from ion-ion collisions, since there would be no point in awarding the new contracts otherwise.

My worry is that the U.S. government will skip a major funding decision until at least 2010, if ever. The DOE guys may want to take it over, decide to spent many millions more running computer simulations based on the data collected rather than just building it, claim it probably won't work on the large scale, and bury it until ITER or some other pet tokamak project has run its course. It just doesn't fit into there models of what a fusion reactor should look like.
CHoff

clonan

Post by clonan »

Except that there is nothing preventing a private company or even China from doing the same research.

$200 million really isn't much money. I am Certain that if China starts looking at it (they probably already have started) and it becomes common knowledge, the US will leap into financing it...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Google - Polywell Fusion

My campaign is already getting results - this morning there were 14,400 matches. Now there are 16,400. My goal is 100,000.

Torulf2

Post by Torulf2 »

$200 million, Is that the cost of build a WB100?
I thought it is $2 million. $200 is for develop it for electrical production.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Torulf2 wrote:$200 million, Is that the cost of build a WB100?
I thought it is $2 million. $200 is for develop it for electrical production.
It is all a little hazy. I thought the $200 million was for a whole program. i.e. intermediate tests to work out the engineering and then WB-100.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

In his 2006 Valencia paper, Dr. Bussard wrote:It is thus NOT POSSIBLE to test at steady-state ALL of the physics working in concert, in a Polywell machine, in devices below about 1.5 m in size/radius. This fundamental fact, driven by the realities of mechanical and thermal engineering design and construction - to meet immutable constraints of the basic physics -, has made it impossible to reach the objective of a break-even fusion power machine at
the sizes and scales used in the U.S.Navy IEF program conducted by EMC2 since 1991. To achieve this objective, it has now been conclusively proven that machines in this larger size range must be used.

Since the cost of these scales roughly as the cube of their size, the costs for proof of net power is estimated to be in the range of $ 120-180M, as compared with the approximately $15-18 M that has been spent over the past 13 years in this program. This estimate turns out to be completely consistent with those made originally in the earliest studies (1987-91) ever done (by EMC2) for this concept and program, which estimated a cost to proof-of-breakeven (or net power) in the range of $ 50 - $ 60 M for DD fuel, and $ 120 +M for pB11, in 1992. Scaled to today‘s (2005) dollars, these numbers would be very much larger.
Later in the paper he mentions two more small scale machines (WB-7, a "squared" coil truncated cube, and WB-8, a dodecahedron, which he wrote he expected ~5 times better output due to less pseudo, more sphericity.

With this added work, we are up to ~$200M.