Why isn't Polywell being funded?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Post Reply
MSimon
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Contact:

Why isn't Polywell being funded?

Post by MSimon »

Yeah. Why not?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

esotERIC D
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 2:42 pm
Location: Vermont

not literally no one, just not enought

Post by esotERIC D »

no one knows about it...

perhaps its time for that to change...

KitemanSA
Posts: 6114
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: OlyPen WA

Post by KitemanSA »

Actually, IIRC, the type of VC funding that Focus Fusion and other such endeavors have received were rejected by Dr. Bussard. I think I heard that it was because he didn't want the technology under the control of the VCs.

If the current owners of the patents want bigger funding, maybe they should look at that source again.

Me, I'd rather they re-initiate the search for NGO Not-for-Profit funding. I have a few ideas along that line if they are interested.

MSimon
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Contact:

Post by MSimon »

Steve Chu knows about it. Lots of references to it on the www.

Google stats:

polywell fusion 24,400
IEC Fusion Bussard 6,780
Bussard Google 90,800
IEC Fusion 467,000

So maybe we do need more publicity:

When ever you post a comment on a blog use this tagline:

Why hasn't Polywell Fusion been funded?


If the blog allows embeded urls you can post this:

Why hasn't Polywell Fusion been funded?
http://iecfusiontech.blogspot.com/

or this:

Why hasn't Polywell Fusion been funded?

<a href="http://iecfusiontech.blogspot.com/">IEC Fusion Technology blog</a>

===

Of course if you have a url you like better feel free.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Contact:

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:Actually, IIRC, the type of VC funding that Focus Fusion and other such endeavors have received were rejected by Dr. Bussard. I think I heard that it was because he didn't want the technology under the control of the VCs.

If the current owners of the patents want bigger funding, maybe they should look at that source again.

Me, I'd rather they re-initiate the search for NGO Not-for-Profit funding. I have a few ideas along that line if they are interested.
Why not get the NGOs to come to EMC2? Then you don't have to wait.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

kurt9
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:14 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA

Post by kurt9 »

I thought that there was a small follow on contract to modify the WB-7 such that it can be run in continuous mode to see if the emitted neutrons really are of fusion origin. If not, when does the Navy embargo on the WB-7 data and detailed technical information get lifted?

IntLibber
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:28 pm

Post by IntLibber »

KitemanSA wrote:Actually, IIRC, the type of VC funding that Focus Fusion and other such endeavors have received were rejected by Dr. Bussard. I think I heard that it was because he didn't want the technology under the control of the VCs.

If the current owners of the patents want bigger funding, maybe they should look at that source again.

Me, I'd rather they re-initiate the search for NGO Not-for-Profit funding. I have a few ideas along that line if they are interested.
Frankly I find this attitude to be a bit polyannish. If we want this technology developed as fast as possible and developed for commercial power generation, they are going to have to accept that a for-profit model is mandatory.

Richard Feynman related in his biographical writings about when he was on the Manhattan Project that after Trinity he was interviewed and asked to write up all the possible applications for the technology so as to patent them. Apparently the govt got the patents done and licensed the technologies to GE and Westinghouse, possibly others.

Unless Obama's administration decides to channel major funding for polywell at the level of the MP, there really is no choice here. With the exception of the Gates Foundation, there are few to no charitable foundations with the assets to fund this sort of project. Getting funding in exchange for licensing is the best way to move forward. I would, however put caveats in any such licensing deal that obligates the licensee to develop commercial generation facilities to supply the general public within x many years or else lose the license.

KitemanSA
Posts: 6114
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: OlyPen WA

Post by KitemanSA »

IntLibber wrote:
KitemanSA wrote: ...
Me, I'd rather they re-initiate the search for NGO Not-for-Profit funding. I have a few ideas along that line if they are interested.
Frankly I find this attitude to be a bit polyannish. If we want this technology developed as fast as possible and developed for commercial power generation, they are going to have to accept that a for-profit model is mandatory.
I think it is more a matter of timing than intent. In order to get the BIG bucks to do the final development, investor funding will surely be needed. But at the 1-5M research level, VC $ seem to come with too big a set of strings. I don't blame them, it is risky business so they need high pay-back. But such risky R&D is what foundations are for.

KitemanSA
Posts: 6114
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: OlyPen WA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:
KitemanSA wrote: Me, I'd rather they re-initiate the search for NGO Not-for-Profit funding. I have a few ideas along that line if they are interested.
Why not get the NGOs to come to EMC2? Then you don't have to wait.
Why do the work to get them the $ if they are not interested?

choff
Posts: 2435
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:02 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Post by choff »

If the government and VC funding never comes through, maybe they will have to start out small and work up. IEC devices are used for medical isotopes, bomb and landmine detection, mining and other industrial uses. EMC2 could start out selling small WB7 size polywell fusors in one of these categories, use the profit to build bigger devices to compete in more of the categories, working up to burning nuclear waste. From about there they should be able to attract enough funding to try for the net gain device.
CHoff

Betruger
Posts: 2310
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 11:54 am

Post by Betruger »

I thought someone had said they had non-negligible potential funding sources waiting on the line? MSimon, or someone else?

MSimon
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Contact:

Post by MSimon »

Betruger wrote:I thought someone had said they had non-negligible potential funding sources waiting on the line? MSimon, or someone else?
Maybe at one time. Who knows about now?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA
Posts: 6114
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: OlyPen WA

Post by KitemanSA »

Betruger wrote:I thought someone had said they had non-negligible potential funding sources waiting on the line? MSimon, or someone else?
I recall a report that Dr. B. had gotten an offer from VCs but didn't like the terms. That is the only suggestion of non-government money on my radar. Don't know if it was a mirage.

classicpenny
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:50 pm
Location: Port Angeles WA USA
Contact:

Post by classicpenny »

MSimon wrote:When ever you post a comment on a blog use this tagline:

Why hasn't Polywell Fusion been funded?

If the blog allows embeded urls you can post this:

Why hasn't Polywell Fusion been funded?
http://iecfusiontech.blogspot.com/

or this:

Why hasn't Polywell Fusion been funded?

<a href="http://iecfusiontech.blogspot.com/">IEC Fusion Technology blog</a>
Those links just take take the viewer to your website, where the above instructions are repeated. I assume that you believe such actions will increase chances that the polywell will be funded, but I really don't understand what you are thinking here; and I guess I don't understand how this would work. Could you explain it in a little more detail for those of us who may not be as "internet-literate"?

Bill Flint

MSimon
Posts: 14331
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Contact:

Post by MSimon »

classicpenny wrote:
MSimon wrote:When ever you post a comment on a blog use this tagline:

Why hasn't Polywell Fusion been funded?

If the blog allows embeded urls you can post this:

Why hasn't Polywell Fusion been funded?
http://iecfusiontech.blogspot.com/

or this:

Why hasn't Polywell Fusion been funded?

<a href="http://iecfusiontech.blogspot.com/">IEC Fusion Technology blog</a>
Those links just take take the viewer to your website, where the above instructions are repeated. I assume that you believe such actions will increase chances that the polywell will be funded, but I really don't understand what you are thinking here; and I guess I don't understand how this would work. Could you explain it in a little more detail for those of us who may not be as "internet-literate"?

Bill Flint
Bill: replace them with what ever links you think will help. I was just being cute. Evidently too cute by half.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Post Reply