EMC2 news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

paperburn1

Re: EMC2 news

Post by paperburn1 »

Was watching the "Travelers" on net flicks .
They had the general fusion machine as a prop. season 1 episode 2 35 minute mark.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Looks like partnering up with China is becoming very problematic
https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... tes-trump/

My take on the situation
Nobody likes americans any more (obvious reasons) and mounting pressure from China to get americans and europeans out of asia so they can control the entire region is becoming a real thing. Already China is kicking out and not renewing many visas and business permits of foreigners at a alarming high rate..Overtures at the highest level in china suggest it you want to do business with us (and receive aid but not in Thailand's case so they resorted to bribery) you better not be working with the caucasian devils. One belt one road is a real thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y6MeAOGxt8

Also China is making it harder for foreigners with business not of asia to get work permits and visas as of febuary 2018. there has been a. slew of business getting out of china in the past two years for fear of what winnie the pooh might do next. Smaller business are just not having there permits renewed. Larger ones are selling out and leaving. White House officials had hoped that threatening to impose tariffs on China would force Beijing to offer concessions, but instead both countries moved forward with punitive measures that analysts think could harm two of the world’s largest economies.
Hang on folks this could very quickly turn into Mr. toads wild ride.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Yes, asymmetric tariffs and trade barriers against evil Americans, forced tech transfers are necessary to be liked. Reality sucks.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

And then we have Elon Musk swoop in and build a multi- billion- USD factory in China and all the top dogs there seem to be very happy about it.
Lots of handshakes and kind words about renewed partnership. It may just be politician talk, but maybe, just maybe, he might be a better diplomat than the dudes in Washington...

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

China gets free tech... now there is a man tough to negotiate with. I bet China would do the same deal for his rocket tech too... Maybe Helion could do that deal with their fusion tech?
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

mvanwink5 wrote:China gets free tech... now there is a man tough to negotiate with.
You do realize that Tesla gave away all of their patents for free years ago? Also, from what I understand, the Chinese are putting quite a bit of their own money behind this as well.
The physics behind Helion's technology were published in peer reviewed papers years ago. AFAIK, the Chinese already have done experiments with similar designs. The devil is in the details and the engineering of course and Helion has been more closed up about their work in recent years.
As for SpaceX, they are completely different company from Tesla with different goals. They rely heavily on trade secrets and then there is a thing called ITAR. That said, I am sure that the Chinese have been spying on SpaceX for years and their recent development roadmaps have shown designs that look very similar to Falcon 9, legs and all.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

sounds like the military needs a second look at a polywell

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26 ... -in-a-c-17

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

A fission reactor that can be transported by air, then set up behind local materials for radiation shielding, not a huge problem. Transporting that same reactor home after it's been operating, much harder. Fusion would be a huge improvement in longer lived induced radiation. But the polywells we've been looking at are an order of magnitude larger capacity that project is looking for.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I was under the opinion that with the latest info posted on this site :polywell could be made smaller is size and power output.
Or did I not correctly understand Parks latest filings (It happens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ fusion is hard.)

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

If it can really TOO be made compact enough to fit into carriers and large transport aircraft, i fully expect the military industrial complex to do their best to keep the developed polywell a secret so they may get another advantage over the other world forces.

Munchausen

Post by Munchausen »

rschaffer8

Post by rschaffer8 »

Quoting from the conclusions of the Park paper referenced above: "In the case of magnetic cusp fusion
devices, the discovery encourages the resumption of research into magnetic cusp devices as
potential thermonuclear fusion energy reactors. Magnetic cusp systems, in addition to their
proven plasma stability and engineering simplicity, are one of the few magnetic fusion devices
that allow direct injection of a charged particle beam into the central region [28,29]. The use of
an electron beam may allow control of the electric field at the boundary toward the further
improvement of plasma confinement in conjunction with flow collimation [30]. A numerical
capability to accurately calculate the electric field offers the tantalizing potential to improve the
performance of magnetic cusp devices toward net fusion energy generation."

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Piglet: we need more funding

Poo: F uck

BenTC

Post by BenTC »

> https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1901/1901.08041.pdf

Very interesting read.

Anyone estimate what is the cost per run...
"between 300 and 1200 CPUs and between 10,000 and 150,000 CPU hours to simulate" ?

Are movies M1 and M2 available?

P.S. small a typo at the bottom of page 12...?
ωpi is the ion plasma frequency and mi is the ion mass in NCU
ωpe is the electron plasma frequency and me is the ion mass in NCU
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.