EMC2 news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Re: EMC2 news

Post by ladajo »

You can see the chamber in the top left of the image below. The access port was on the back side, opposite the injection gun (big ass appendage with yellow cap on this side).

The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Mini-B, where the proof of whiffleball ocurred is in the lower center of the pick, near Jaeyoung. It is a much smaller chamber.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Park and Krall have written a new EMC2 patent application which has been published.
GENERATING NUCLEAR FUSION REACTIONS WITH THE USE OF ION BEAM INJECTION IN HIGH PRESSURE MAGNETIC CUSP DEVICES

Generation of nuclear fusion reactions with the use of ion beam injection in high pressure magnetic cusp devices is described. The open magnetic field structure of a magnetic cusp allows the use of ion beam injection to generate nuclear fusion reactions. Start-up processes utilizing pulsed high power plasma initiators are employed for rapid generation of high pressure plasma condition inside magnetic cusp devices resulting in increased ion beam confinement. This is followed by energetic ion beam injection from an outer region of the magnetic cusp device into the inner central region via one or more openings of the magnetic cusp. The injected ion beams are confined by the magnetic field in equilibrium with the high pressure plasma and generate fusion reactions when they undergo collisions with the high pressure plasma that acts as a target in the magnetic cusp.
The document is 101 pages long with roughly half of it being text. I have not read it yet, so I will not comment on the contents.
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2018208953A1.html

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Yummy! Fresh meat! I think I see a couple of new details. This should keep me busy for a couple of evenings.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Maybe now EMC2 can attract deep pocket investors to expedite their prospects. I may be reading General Fusion wrong, but it seems they are slow in attracting enough cash to build their next 'proof of economic fusion' device, their demo plant. Recent $49 million from the Canadian Gruberment is just a piece of what the cash hungry demo plant needs (and that is likely Canadian dollars.)
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

And now that cat is also out of the bag...
:)

Keep watching.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

ladajo wrote:And now that cat is also out of the bag...
:)

Keep watching.
So how many cats are there still left in the bag? :wink:

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

From a quick read it seems a really interesting cat.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Looks like my firefly spaceship is back on the drawing boards!!! :D

Wonder if the goon squad at Nasa is paying attention :wink:
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

When you are working in the realm of first principles, interesting new knowledge can hold deep meaning.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

ladajo wrote:Thanks Choff!
Anyone else have some thoughts here. I know we talked about something similar before. Come on Guys & Gals!
I know this eye meltingly rich dude who owns an equally overdone lab and sounds like the kind of person for this, directly or one of his acquaintances. I'll ask, even if I can't promise anything. If it's not too late?
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Ask away!

icarus

Post by icarus »

ladajo wrote:And now that cat is also out of the bag...
... which cat? all I see is more bag (in a long line of bags, 12 years and counting) ...

Northstar

Post by Northstar »

So, any consensus on the contents of the patent application document from those who are knowledgable enough to be able to speak about it in an informed manner? Your thoughts Tom Ligon? or ???
There are strange things done in the midnight sun....

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Northstar wrote:So, any consensus on the contents of the patent application document from those who are knowledgable enough to be able to speak about it in an informed manner? Your thoughts Tom Ligon? or ???
It's quite an interesting patent and opens a plethora of possible different road to a commercial product (be it a Fusion Machine or a Neutron Generator).
If your question is if they have a proof of principle in this patent, than unfortunately I would say "not yet", but what they propose (if it will work on a scaled up experiment) is a radically different approach to start and maintain Fusion Conditions that would bring them in front of everyone else.

But again, they need to get their hands on some hardware and build an experimental prototype based on the content of this patent.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.