NantEnergy announces zinc-air battery

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Carl White

NantEnergy announces zinc-air battery

Post by Carl White »

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... -Breathing

Two things caught my eye:
  • NantEnergy announces largest global deployment of a novel air breathing zinc rechargeable battery – 3,000 installations in nine countries – has broken the $100 per kilowatt hour barrier .. "By breaching the manufacturing barrier of $100 kWh, we can electrify the world anywhere everywhere."
  • The breakthrough is in the ability of our system not only for zinc to retain its ability to charge for prolonged periods of time, but also for the cycle of charging and discharging of zinc to be sustained over 1,000s of repeated cycles without deterioration.

Maui

Re: NantEnergy announces zinc-air battery

Post by Maui »

Also 1500 installations and 6 years of field testing? Could be legit?

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

What is the energy/power density of these? I mean, generally, they should be better than Lithium Ion but it could be different for these particular types of cells.
Also it seems like Zinc Air batteries usually are not very efficient (only 50% efficiency vs 80+ for other types). Wonder if this applies to them as well.

Maui

Post by Maui »

General ranges via wikipedia:

Lithium ion:
Energy density: 250–693 W·h/L (0.90–2.43 MJ/L)
Specific energy: 100–265 W·h/kg (0.36–0.875 MJ/kg)

Zinc air:
Energy density: 1480-9780 Wh/L (5.328–35.21 MJ/L)
Specific energy: 470 (practical),1370 (theoretical) Wh/kg (1.692, 4.932 MJ/kg)

However, the fact that they have supposedly been testing these batteries in applications that don't require high energy density certainly makes me question that their batteries are. Add to that the fact that they are touting manufacturing price, but say nothing of density. Perhaps the breakthrough that prevents degradation requires that the batteries are significantly less dense than zinc-air batteries otherwise would be?

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Maui wrote: However, the fact that they have supposedly been testing these batteries in applications that don't require high energy density certainly makes me question that their batteries are. Add to that the fact that they are touting manufacturing price, but say nothing of density. Perhaps the breakthrough that prevents degradation requires that the batteries are significantly less dense than zinc-air batteries otherwise would be?
Yep, this is what I was thinking too!

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

This was fluidic energy and they are (was) a very reputable company
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

TDPerk

Post by TDPerk »

paperburn1 wrote:This was fluidic energy and they are (was) a very reputable company
Fluidic? The article doesn't say it has liquid electrodes like a vanadium battery. Do you have a link?
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria