Extraterrestrial colony companies

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

kunkmiester

Extraterrestrial colony companies

Postby kunkmiester » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:40 am

With Musk’s recent releases we are ending up in some interesting circumstances. The development of the infrastructure is coming to the point where it's not a matter if, it's a matter of when. That when is becoming more accurate too, with the 2040s dates looking likely short of nuclear war or some such.

With 20 to 30 years to go, we are at an interesting financial situation too. Most people with a larger paycheck capable of managing their money well could have the 500,000 dollars Musk is looking at as the price of immigration by the time the rockets make their first flights. A lot of others could have enough to make “steerage” tickets an attractive offering. Put simply, now is a good time to charter a colony company.

This round of colonization will have little in common with past efforts however. For one, the trip will almost definitely be one way, and unlike Virginian tobacco or West Indies sugar, there is basically nothing to ship back, which means the sole purpose of the colony is settlement. The only money the domestic branch can expect is that raised by colonists.

There are three basic purposes for a colony company at this point. First is the money. Half a million is a lot, and with judicious management can pull well above its weight. If you have at least 100 colonists, that's 50 million. While most will be held in escrow for later use, some will be used as a slush fund to invest in technologies that still need to be developed and thus advance the goal of setting up the colony.

The company maintains the charter. Some of the political divides in this country are as bad as or worse than the religious divides from the 1500s and 1600s that led to a lot of the initial colonization of the Americas. People of lime mind will flock together and the company will draw them together for unity. The companies would also serve as a point of contact and reassurance through legal questions of colonization that are just starting to crop up. Some of it is absurd, but lobbying and public relations are important.

Plenty to discuss, but let's start now. You don't even need money yet-- just start a free internet forum to get your crew together and start talking. When we have groups with money to drop, things will get sporty.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

williatw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Extraterrestrial colony companies

Postby williatw » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:29 am

hanelyp
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby hanelyp » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:44 pm

A question I've asked before, what use is an independent Bank of Mars if Earthside would be business partners are prohibited from doing business with it? Or killed by punitive tariffs?
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

williatw

Postby williatw » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:01 pm

williatw

Postby williatw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:22 am

Last edited by williatw on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:35 pm

I think BEZO,s main problem is he is stuck on the "Starship luxurious mindset. :D
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

williatw

Postby williatw » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:03 pm

williatw

Postby williatw » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:13 am

hanelyp

Postby hanelyp » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:03 am

If polar regions are premium real estate on the Moon, a transfer station at L1 or L2 seems a strategic location to catch a shuttle to the lunar surface. I'm assuming a transportation architecture where using 3 specialized spacecraft and 2 transfer stations, one in LEO and the other somewhere near the moon.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

williatw

Postby williatw » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:19 am

williatw

Postby williatw » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:55 pm

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Typical Brown bias. The article demonstrates some leaps of logic, and a lot of naivety regarding what is currently going on in space as well.
Meh.
I think two things are going to drive the future of humanity, and they are interrelated in a big way: The coming (I hope) Energy Age, and its enablement of real human space access, The Interplanetary Age. Down the road, we can hopefully look to the Interstellar Age, and then way off, maybe the Intergalactic Age. We don't know enough yet to realistically consider the Interuniverse Age. All that said, there remain many pitfalls both known and unknown to us humans that could delay or derail the journey.
I promise to not have any more big thoughts for the rest of the year. Quota reached.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:09 pm

I have to agree wholeheartedly. Our next big step needs to be the availability of cheap dependable energy for the long-term. We can go back to our historical record and find civilization after civilization basically collapsed because the lack of available energy to overcome flood, famine, climate change or invader. Somehow by luck or my personal opinion the introduction of caffeine along with the cheap easily accessible petroleum stocks we were able to enter into the Industrial Revolution and develop precision and repeatability.

Our next big hurdle is to have enough energy to maintain our society and crawl out of this gravity well that has been holding us back from becoming a truly interplanetary Society. I have a hypothesis that this is one of the reasons of the Fermi paradox. The developing civilization did not have enough energy to support the population and and leave the gravity well. It seems currently the most water worlds for life can exist are larger than our planet Earth. Most people don't realize that it only takes our planet being just a little bit larger and the ability to go into orbit increases by several factors reaching to the point where something 50% larger than Earth would be almost impossible to get the orbit using conventional means [ rocket fuel and oxygen ]

Under those assumptions it would be easy to see why have planet would not focus outward into space but inward into sustainability

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:19 pm

kunkmiester

Postby kunkmiester » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:12 am

Forgot about this thread. Some interesting articles, but still no comments about having future colonists invest in a colony and fund their move now, rather than later.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

Return to “General”