Lockheed Martin’s Compact Fusion Reactor

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

williatw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Lockheed Martin’s Compact Fusion Reactor

Postby williatw » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:28 pm

hanelyp
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Lockheed Martin’s Compact Fusion Reactor

Postby hanelyp » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:41 pm

The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

williatw

Postby williatw » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:52 pm

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:36 pm

It concerns me that they don't seem to understand the difference between the words "can" and "could".

And to answer the D/T question, yes, it is a very hot chain with significant activation, embrittlement, and flux concerns.

I also have to wonder about patent overlap with Polywell. Afterall, it seems to me that there is significant prior art in the concept of pinched cusps, be they line or point.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:13 pm

Earlier LM presentations addressed the limited lifetime of compact military use. The plan was a drop in power unit that could be refurbished. Gas turbine engines also have cycle lifetimes and are high maintenance. Utility power units would be built differently.

But Polywell is a poorly funded (if that) red headed stepchild. No one mentions it anymore. Even LPP is better funded from what I can tell.
Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

JohnP

Postby JohnP » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:29 pm

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:13 am

Found the quote... How did I miss that?
It seems Lockheed has a real prototype??? Am I reading that right? No big announcement?
Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:01 am

Two CFR prototypes were introduced by Lockheed Martin on December 25, 2017. The first is the T4B, which is two meters long, one meter in diameter, and about 20 tons in weight. The T4B can produce one megawatt of energy. The second prototype, the TX, is 18 meters long, seven meters in diameter, and about 2,000 tons in weight. The TX can produce 200 megawatts of energy. However, Lockheed Martin believes the TX’s weight can be reduced to 200 tons.

https://besacenter.org/perspectives-pap ... n-reactor/

But nothing about p-B11 aneutronic fusion?
Last edited by paperburn1 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:04 am

I believe these are proposed prototypes, not built and tested prototypes. I think this is old news to keep the project interest up.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:09 am

the article posted was published 28 july 2018 Two CFR prototypes were introduced by Lockheed Martin on December 25, 2017. The first is the T4B, which is two meters long, one meter in diameter, and about 20 tons in weight. The T4B can produce one megawatt of energy. The second prototype, the TX, is 18 meters long, seven meters in diameter, and about 2,000 tons in weight. The TX can produce 200 megawatts of energy. However, Lockheed Martin believes the TX’s weight can be reduced to 200 tons.

they make is sound like they have the brass ring.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:15 am

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:25 am

Like I said, a rehash. No announcement... Like 'breakthrough Fusion' splashed in the news. Just a new publication of old stuff.

'Did' vs 'Could' vs 'Wished We Did'.

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:01 pm

The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

PolyGirl

Postby PolyGirl » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:01 am

What exactly is going on in regards with the LM fusion reactor stories? I do not think it is all plain sailing. This story "Lockheed Compact Reactor design is 100 times worse than initial claims", just appeared in

Regards
Polygirl
The more I know, the less I know.

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:15 am

It is all talking about old news with no real updates, no data, results. NBF is rehashing an old story. New date means nothing.

Return to “News”