EMC2 news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Re: EMC2 news

Post by ladajo »

While they've gotten some fusion from WB-4 onward, the only machine believed to have hit high beta is WB-mini
To rework WB-8 to do what was done with MiniB would essentially require a rebuild. It would be more better to go ground up.
While WB-8 did not do what was wanted, in doing so it provided a lot of knowledge. That knowledge was then applied to MiniB, which then did more than was expected. This is how science can work sometimes.

What is understood now, leveraging previous work, all the way up to MiniB, and with post MiniB sims, is really cool stuff. Like I said before, this is essentially down to getting the answer on one last question. And, if that answer supports, then, from a theory perspective, there would be no more known reasons why it couldn't work. The last step would be to put the two functions together in a composite machine, and demonstrate.
Confinement (proven) + Heating/Well (not proven) = Eureka
That said, confinement needs to be REALLY good... and it is within the range of plausible at this point...

Soo... Heating, here we come...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Tom Ligon wrote:
Diogenes wrote: What about handing the hardware over to other scientists to allow them to confirm the findings and/or explore the concept further with additional experiments that might not have been contemplated during their original testing of the concept?

I'm sure there are other people who would love a chance to experiment with this design.
The question is, would you want the confirming studies to be done using the equipment that did not work as hoped?

While they've gotten some fusion from WB-4 onward, the only machine believed to have hit high beta is WB-mini, which was small enough and economical enough to be built by other labs without an exceptional investment. Park does not believe the earlier machines, despite their ability to make spectacular plasma balls, actually got into the wiffle ball mode, so they are poor candidates for replication studies.

I would think potential utilizers of this equipment would have to weigh those considerations, but if there are any responsible scientists that want to give it a go, what's the harm? I suspect there might still be some useful work to be gotten out of the equipment.

Tom Ligon wrote:
'Tho I still contend that PXL-1, while not a good candidate for making fusion, did something fascinating to me one day, and I'd love to get a chance to replicate that test to see what in the world it was. I think it tried to make a wiffleball. It definitely stored a rather remarkable amount of energy. Might not be good for fusion, but I think it created a "flux capacitor."

It's been some years since I have read of your accounts of it, and I recall it fascinated me greatly at the time. Your description of what happened did indeed sound like it had managed to store up quite a charge before the magnetic field was cut. It made me think the basic theory of well formation is probably sound.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Diogenes wrote:
It's been some years since I have read of your accounts of it, and I recall it fascinated me greatly at the time. Your description of what happened did indeed sound like it had managed to store up quite a charge before the magnetic field was cut. It made me think the basic theory of well formation is probably sound.
All the more remarkable because it was a crappy configuration. I never got a WB-3 to do that trick.

It would be interesting to see if WB-mini could, but one has to be careful. The manifestation was quite destructive, including what I believe was a pretty substantial EMP.

A Tesla-coiler I knew who built his own electron storage ring reported a similar effect when he dropped field on his device while it still had an electron flux. A properly functioning Polywell ought to be, in essence, a 3D electron storage ring.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

the only polywell promotion I have seen as of late

http://freefall.purrsia.com/lastthree.htm
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Still working through a couple of initiatives. More to follow in a couple of weeks.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

paperburn1 wrote:the only polywell promotion I have seen as of late
http://freefall.purrsia.com/lastthree.htm
A more permanent link, http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff3200/fc03104.htm
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

EMC2 is part of this new Fusion Industry Alliance mentioned on the LPPFusion home page. The news article is rather scarce on details on this new alliance. Does anyone know something more about this?

https://lppfusion.com/new-fusion-indust ... ion-joins/

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Post by JoeStrout »

ladajo wrote:Still working through a couple of initiatives. More to follow in a couple of weeks.
Any news?
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Hi Joe, it is complicated. Jaeyoung is asking to keep things close hold while they are sorted out.

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

Best guess is that there are preliminary dodecahedron results but he can't say anything or he risks messing with publication or non-disclosure with a large 30 mil investor.

Dodecahedron testing was the next model before break even I believe, per some pre-fund raising interview.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

My guess is NASA is screwing this up somehow. :?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

No, none of those ideas.
The project has learned a lot, and needs a stable path forward.
A path is being worked out. That is what is complicated.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

OK, then everybody buy a lottery ticket, somebody's bound to win :D then we can light this candle!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

That would be helpful. It may not be necessary, however it would be helpful as it could provide some maneuver space.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

ladajo wrote:That would be helpful. It may not be necessary, however it would be helpful as it could provide some maneuver space.
If only you meant that the way I hoped you did ... manuever[ing in] space. :D