Skynet is coming.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

paperburn1

Re: Skynet is coming.

Post by paperburn1 »

If I recall correctly we had two squadrons on board, 542 and 231 listed herself as MAG 32 forward. Where only running a partial complement of 20 to 22 planes. And we managed to pull off 80 some sorty in one day. (That was a test to see what Max performance would be) Pretty good for a bunch of knuckle draggers. I think Capt. Johnson was in charge of the ship. He seemed to get really excited he saw what we could do. But of course carrier guys would probably look at that laugh and call us window lickers.

I think there's a lot of merit to that light carrier idea. I wonder if you can get the funding the pull it off with this new administration. I hear Lotta good talk but I don't see no real dollars yet
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The argument is being made, I expect some (more) clear indication on where things are headed within the next three months.

CVLs, especially if we FDNF them, say one to EUCOM, and one to PACOM, in addition to existing forces would be a boon.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

What do you think about admiral Harriss idea of arming up the army with anti ship missiles?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Full support. And not his idea. The marines are leveraging the army's improved ATACMS with an anti-ship seeker. The army appears to be jumping on the bus as well. In addition, there have been thoughts about canisterizing other systems for mobile mounts. We shall see.
Some of these capabilities already exist, and only require a check. Why we have remained gapped for so long on land mobile launchers for this is beyond me. It is an easy win.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

choff

Post by choff »

I've heard descriptions of naval technology protecting the latest Russian tanks. Ukrainian soldiers described how anti-tank missiles seem to hit a force field that turned them away from the target.
CHoff

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

They have ARENA we have TROPHY
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arena_(countermeasure)

they are developing Counter measure but we are developing Counter counter measures so I assume They have counter counter counter measures to counter our countered counter measures for countermeasures. :D :D :D

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Report: NKorea Has 1K Chemical Weapon-Capable Drones

North Korea is reportedly believed to have about 1,000 drones that could possibly carry devastating chemical or biological weapons for airborne terror attacks.

The warning came Thursday from Chung Ku-youn, a research fellow at the Korea Institute for National Unification, the Yonhap News Agency reported.
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/drones ... id/781691/

Might be fake. North Korea is constantly claiming this or that.

Still, this stuff is coming.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Synthetic biologists from the Scripps Research Institute in California have, for the first time, created semi-synthetic E. coli bacteria with a 6-letter genetic code.

That might sound like something out of Jurassic Park, but even in Jurassic Park the cloned dinosaurs were coded using A, T, G and C.
These new semi-synthetic organisms are an entirely new variation on life.

The two synthetic bases that have been added are dNaM and dTPT3, but for short they’re called X and Y.

The team have been hunting for the right chemical candidates to add to DNA since the 1990s.
Any successful addition to the base pair family would need to match their ability to stick and unstick as the double strand of DNA zips and unzips, while fooling the cell’s own repair machinery into thinking it belongs there.
The team had come up with base pair candidates by 2008, but the next challenge was getting them out of the test tube and into a living organism.

In 2014, the geneticists managed to slip versions of X and Y into the circular plasmid ring of DNA in an E. coli bacterium.
While the E. coli managed to hold onto the new bases for a short period and even reproduce, it eventually rejected them.

Now the E. coli they’ve created aren’t just stable, they’re healthy and capable of growing.

Terminator now can grow skin.

williatw

Post by williatw »

The Dark Secret at the Heart of AI

No one really knows how the most advanced algorithms do what they do. That could be a problem.
by Will Knight

The artist Adam Ferriss created this image, and the one below, using Google Deep Dream, a program that adjusts an image to stimulate the pattern recognition capabilities of a deep neural network. The pictures were produced using a mid-level layer of the neural network

In 2015, a research group at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York was inspired to apply deep learning to the hospital’s vast database of patient records. This data set features hundreds of variables on patients, drawn from their test results, doctor visits, and so on. The resulting program, which the researchers named Deep Patient, was trained using data from about 700,000 individuals, and when tested on new records, it proved incredibly good at predicting disease. Without any expert instruction, Deep Patient had discovered patterns hidden in the hospital data that seemed to indicate when people were on the way to a wide range of ailments, including cancer of the liver. There are a lot of methods that are “pretty good” at predicting disease from a patient’s records, says Joel Dudley, who leads the Mount Sinai team. But, he adds, “this was just way better.”

At the same time, Deep Patient is a bit puzzling. It appears to anticipate the onset of psychiatric disorders like schizophrenia surprisingly well. But since schizophrenia is notoriously difficult for physicians to predict, Dudley wondered how this was possible. He still doesn’t know. The new tool offers no clue as to how it does this. If something like Deep Patient is actually going to help doctors, it will ideally give them the rationale for its prediction, to reassure them that it is accurate and to justify, say, a change in the drugs someone is being prescribed. “We can build these models,” Dudley says ruefully, “but we don’t know how they work.”

“It might be part of the nature of intelligence that only part of it is exposed to rational explanation. Some of it is just instinctual.”

How well can we get along with machines that are unpredictable and inscrutable?

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6040 ... set=604130

Sounds like the premise of the TV Show "Person of Interest" was prescient

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of ... TV_series)

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

If only we (those using these AIs) can remember the bit from teh end of the article.

“If it can’t do better than us at explaining what it’s doing,” [Daniel Dennett] says, “then don’t trust it.”

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

williatw wrote:The Dark Secret at the Heart of AI

At the same time, Deep Patient is a bit puzzling. It appears to anticipate the onset of psychiatric disorders like schizophrenia surprisingly well. But since schizophrenia is notoriously difficult for physicians to predict, Dudley wondered how this was possible. He still doesn’t know. The new tool offers no clue as to how it does this. If something like Deep Patient is actually going to help doctors, it will ideally give them the rationale for its prediction, to reassure them that it is accurate and to justify, say, a change in the drugs someone is being prescribed. “We can build these models,” Dudley says ruefully, “but we don’t know how they work.”

I think it is simply able to hold in memory and analyze more data faster and over a wider scope. I think it is something people could do if they could hold so many different things in conscious memory at the same time.

Me, i'm a simple person, and not good at juggling too much information, but machines can juggle millions of bits of data simultaneously. This in and of itself is a massive advantage in being able to analyze a complex problem.

Also machines have another advantage. People like answers in a yes/no form. To convert a function representing some block of data into a yes/no form requires quite a bit of mathematical manipulation for us to achieve it. It simply doesn't come easy for us.

Machines can summarize a complex function with little effort, and this is a huge advantage in evaluating a large series of complex functions.

For another interesting effort at using a neural network to do something of a similar nature, check out this man's attempts to get computers to create music.

http://hackaday.com/2017/03/17/neural-n ... l-be-bach/

After sufficient processing time, it is actually starting to resemble music.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

choff

Post by choff »

If they can determine when individual humans will develop specific mental disorders, that means they know us better than we know them. The machines will be able to determine what our decisions will be in advance and respond accordingly. Put the A.I. program in charge of the nuclear arsenal and if it figures out your going to pull the power plug, look out.
CHoff

Aero

Post by Aero »

AI Telemarketers - They figure out who will buy, call, sell, then change the spiel and repeat.
Aero

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Elon's still working on the Borg, https://www.wsj.com/articles/elon-musk- ... 1492738741
Billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk on Thursday confirmed plans for his newest company, called Neuralink Corp., revealing he will be the chief executive of a startup that aims to merge computers with brains so humans could one day engage in “consensual telepathy.”

Speaking to writer Tim Urban on the explainer website Wait But Why, Mr. Musk confirmed a Wall Street Journal report last month that Neuralink aims to implant tiny brain electrodes that first would be used to fight brain conditions but later help humanity avoid subjugation at the hands of intelligent machines.
Avoid? If we're not careful this could easily become a tool =FOR= subjugation.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

hanelyp wrote: Avoid? If we're not careful this could easily become a tool =FOR= subjugation.

Or if we are.
— Lord Melbourne —