Crime and Punishment: Oklahoma (& Texas) style!

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Re: Crime and Punishment: Oklahoma (& Texas) style!

Post by Diogenes »

Only in America.

The gun I got for Christmas: Photographer captures everyday Americans showing off their new weapons at the firing range the day after Christmas - including a woman's custom-made pink anti-tank rifle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rifle.html
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I thought double jeopardy would apply in this case. They already served their time. now they have to go back.
http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/ ... ion?page=2
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

paperburn1 wrote:I thought double jeopardy would apply in this case. They already served their time. now they have to go back.
I would definitely thing double jeopardy applied in that case. A sentence was handed down (though I have doubts about the conviction in the first case), and served. No additional penalty for the offense should be possible.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Diogenes wrote:
paperburn1 wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... next-week/

President Obama will meet with Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch on Monday to finalize a set of executive actions on guns that he will unveil next week, according to several individuals briefed on the matter.

Screw him. We can wait out the clock on this jackass. I urge Americans to defy any of his gun control efforts in any manner that they are able.
Lexington and Concord?

palladin9479

Post by palladin9479 »

hanelyp wrote:
paperburn1 wrote:I thought double jeopardy would apply in this case. They already served their time. now they have to go back.
I would definitely thing double jeopardy applied in that case. A sentence was handed down (though I have doubts about the conviction in the first case), and served. No additional penalty for the offense should be possible.
It's not a double jeopardy situation because there isn't a second trial and they have already been found guilty. The law, as stated, requires they serve a minimum sentence. The judge in their trial discarded that and handed them a shortened sentence based on his interpretation of the 8th amendment's "cruel and unusual punishment" clause. A higher court judge deemed that the decision by the lower court judge to be in error and reinstated the minimum sentences while giving credit for time already served.

Having said all that, I'm personally in agreement with the first judge that this is a completely bullshit situation. It's the federal government using terrorist laws to persecute citizens that refuse to give up their land rights. There is a huge issue with the federal government bullying and frick with ranchers and herders out in the west. Federal agencies would rather those ranchers simply go away and stop being ranchers, those ranchers don't want to do this and thus we have this perpetual conflict between federal bureaucrats and private citizens.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

In Wyoming, over 1,500 acres of prime habitat was burned "accidentally" by a local farmer, burning his irrigation ditches. This fire was much more serious, cost the county, state and federal government millions, yet this farmer wasn't even prosecuted. What gives? The Yellowtail in Wyoming is also controlled by the BLM. Why haven't they prosecuted this farmer?
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

choff

Post by choff »

My reading of it was they were creating a fire break to keep their home and property getting burned to the ground. There were lightning strikes and other controlled burns going on at the same time, so it's even doubtful they caused the fire spreading off property. More a case of self defense than terrorism.
CHoff

williatw

Post by williatw »

Trump pledges to end gun-free zones while Obama makes the case for gun control

"I would get rid of gun-free zones on schools… and on military bases. My first day it gets signed, " Trump said, pledging to take immediate action should he succeed in his bid for the White House.

"You know what a gun free zone is to a sicko? That's bait!" Trump told just under 1,500 at his rally in Burlington, Vt.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump ... le/2579915

Yet more evidence that terrorists pick gun-free zones to attack

Could this statement be any clearer? From ClickonDetroit:

Abu-Rayyan posted. “It’s one of the biggest ones in Detroit. I had it planned out. I bought a bunch of bullets. I practiced reloading and unloading.” . . .

“It’s easy, and a lot of people go there. Plus people are not allowed to carry guns in church. Plus it would make the news. Everybody would’ve heard. Honestly I regret not doing it. If I can’t do jihad in the Middle East, I would do my jihad over here.”

He had also told the undercover agent that a church would be an easy target because people are not allowed to carry guns there and that it would make the news. . .

http://crimeresearch.org/2016/02/yet-mo ... to-attack/
Last edited by williatw on Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

williatw

Post by williatw »

Even Obama Understands the Second Amendment
by Charles C. W. Cooke

In Politico yesterday, Amherst’s Austin Sarat griped heartily about President Obama for what Sarat considers to be Obama’s insufficient hostility toward the prevailing understanding of the Second Amendment. “Despite explicit language of the Amendment,” Sarat contends, the Supreme Court has “found that it protects an individual’s right to possess a firearm unconnected with any service in an organized and sanctioned militia.” Unfortunately, he laments, Obama has “embraced” this interpretation, and, rather than using his pedestal to “educate the public about the other way to read” the right, he has elected to side “with the NRA.”
I put little stock in the idea that Barack Obama “believes” in the Second Amendment in any meaningful philosophical way.

Consider: In order to argue with a straight face that the right to keep and bear arms is inextricably linked with “service in an organized and sanctioned militia,” you would have to believe the following unbelievable things: 1) that the Founders’ intent in codifying the Second Amendment was to protect the right of individuals to join an organization over which the federal government has constitutionally granted plenary power; 2) that unlike every other provision in the Bill of Rights — and every other constitutional measure that is wrapped in the “right of the people” formulation — the Second Amendment denotes something other than an individual right that can be asserted against the state; and 3) that every major judicial figure of the era was mistaken as to its meaning — among them, Joseph Story, William Rawle, St. George Tucker, Timothy Farrar, and Tench Coxe, all of whom explained the Second Amendment perfectly clearly — whereas a few judges and politicians in the 20th century have been bang on in their comprehension.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... right-guns

palladin9479

Post by palladin9479 »

paperburn1 wrote:In Wyoming, over 1,500 acres of prime habitat was burned "accidentally" by a local farmer, burning his irrigation ditches. This fire was much more serious, cost the county, state and federal government millions, yet this farmer wasn't even prosecuted. What gives? The Yellowtail in Wyoming is also controlled by the BLM. Why haven't they prosecuted this farmer?
Because their prosecuting him was about forcing him to relinquish his claim to grazing rights. BLM has a really bad habit of treating federal land like it's their personal property and not letting people use it for it's intended purpose. He wouldn't relinquish his grazing rights so years after the fire event happened they dredged it up and used it against him. He had already admitted that he started the fires so they just needed to twist some words.

Which reminds me, NEVER speak to any authority figure without first consulting a lawyer. Had these gentle done so when the fire incident happened, there would of never been any primary evidence to use against them in the first place. He could of gotten immunity from prosecution in exchange for testimony about what happened and that immunity would of been grandfathered into any future attempts at prosecution.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

palladin9479 wrote:Because their prosecuting him was about forcing him to relinquish his claim to grazing rights.
If in doubt, follow the money.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Like maybe somebody with a Senator for a Daddy wanted to put up a Solar Farm???
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

williatw

Post by williatw »

Police: Man, 65, shoots attacking duo in Queen Village
What are you looking at?" one of the men reportedly said, to which the 65-year-old reportedly replied, "What are you looking at?"

Police will be on patrol.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/armed-65-yea ... n-village/

QUEEN VILLAGE (WPVI) --
Philadelphia police say a man who opened fire on a city street was trying to defend his own life.

He shot two men - one in the stomach, the other in the shoulder - and he told police it was those men who started the altercation that led up to the shooting.

The shooting happened Tuesday night after some kind of altercation on the 700 block of South Second Street in Philadelphia's Queen Village section.

The 65-year-old resident has a valid permit to carry a weapon, and he used his 45 caliber when he and his wife were attacked.

Police say at this point this does appear to be a clear case of self-defense.

On Wednesday, neighbors in Queen Village were talking about what unfolded. A well-known longtime resident they know as "Sal" defended himself and his wife by firing his gun at two men attacking the couple.

Anthony Tonte says, "A lot of commotion, a lot of commotion. From what we heard, Old Man Sal - we kind of know him from the neighborhood. Heard there was a little bit of a ruckus and he pulled out a gun and shot a couple of people."

Ariel McArdle tells us, "You're walking down the street. You shouldn't be attacked for no reason."

It was just after 8:30 p.m. when the couple was walking home from work. They told police two men passed them. One of those men said to the husband, "What are you looking at?" then punch him, threw him to the ground and continued assaulting him.

Then they turned their attention to the wife, who's in her fifties - punching and knocking her down as well

The couple's attorney said they tried to get away but the two men, ages 20 and 21, kept coming after them.

The couple's attorney, Kenneth Young, tells us, "He explained he has a firearm. They said they don't care. They punched him in the face. The whole side of his face is blown up. His wife's being hit. He asked them to leave. He begged them to stop. Then he discharged his firearm."

The 21-year-old suffered a gunshot wound to his shoulder. The 20-year-old sustained a gunshot wound to his stomach.

The couple was also treated for injuries. Police and the attorney said the husband suffered serious wounds to his eye and face.

"This was a matter of life or death. If he didn't do what he did, and he didn't have the training to do it. I think we would be at a funeral right now. It's that bad," Young said.

Young explains that his clients have lived in the neighborhood for 40 years. This may be the last straw forcing them to leave. He said they are absolutely traumatized by what happened.

The district attorney will now decide if anyone should be charged - that includes the two young men who are in the hospital in stable condition with gunshot wounds.

Look like someone "messed" with the wrong 65 year old man.

http://6abc.com/news/police-man-65-shoo ... e/1226676/

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Yup, and I applaud him for defending himself and his wife.
The sad part is the two dickheads are going to be back on the street and "messing" with someone again in short order.
The left wants to take away any rights they can and award them to the "government". Only the government can do this, only the government can do that...

The most recent example of silliness in this regard is that the State of Rhode Island passed a law on Tuesday that makes it a $500 fine if leaves from your trees and bushes leaves your property. Of course, the first critique was: So what if it is a town or state tree that puts leaves in my yard?

http://www.thenewportbuzz.com/ri-senate ... trees/7054
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

williatw

Post by williatw »

ladajo wrote:Yup, and I applaud him for defending himself and his wife.
The sad part is the two dickheads are going to be back on the street and "messing" with someone again in short order.
Well one of the "d*&Kheads" caught a round in the stomach; he probably won't be bothering anyone for awhile. In any case both being shot with a 45 caliber might cause them to reconsider some of their life choices. My question is just how much damage do you have to take from an assailant before you are justified in shooting them even it they are unarmed? He (& his wife) were punched, kicked knocked to the ground etc; at some point considering he is not a young man, he would have been unable to defend himself even with a firearm. Had he lost consciousness his poor missus would have been left to their tender mercy. How many blows does an attacker get before it becomes in the eyes of the law "reasonable fear" of "serious bodily injury"? And how is someone in the heat of the moment being attacked supposed to know how much damage you have to allow before it meets the laws' idea of a justifiable shoot?