Wendelstein 7-X

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Wendelstein 7-X

Postby Giorgio » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:57 pm

A society of dogmas is a dead society.

Solo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Solo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:26 pm

The interesting thing about what they are doing at Auburn is the disruption prevention. Driving the current in a tokamak is one challenge, but that may be partly met by leaning on the bootstrap current to reduce the current drive demand. The other issue is that current disruptions are hazardous and seem difficult to eliminate. The idea with Auburn's experiment is to see whether current disruptions can be either prevented or made less disastrous by incorporating a limited amount of helical shaping to provide some rotational transform to the plasma without current [the two reasons for tokamak currents are (a) ohmic heating, but this is only for startup (b) providing the rotational transform to keep the plasma stable]. That way, if the current starts to quench, the vacuum magnetic field 'catches' the plasma before it totally collapses. Maybe. So it's actually very cool research, and they are still publishing/doing experiments. They are hosting a in February, you should be able to find out more when they post the presentations online

Robthebob

Postby Robthebob » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:27 pm

You guys.... I knew most of that already.

I'm really confused what the confusion is. Giorgio, we should continue this conversation on another platform like phone or something. I literally explained everything as clearly as I could. I don't think you understand what I was talking about.

But seriously tho, despite all of the solutions to toroidal magnetic confinement, none of that matters, cus they ultimately can't make a low q net energy small and not complex toroidal magnetic confinement machine. The other paths, like polywell, is still better.

PS: Solo, how you know about stuff Auburn is doing? lol, not many ppl (even in the field) do.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

Giorgio

Postby Giorgio » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:17 pm

Robthebob

Postby Robthebob » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:17 am

we should move this to another platform, like phone or skype. PM if you would like to continue the conversation, although, there's not much more we can talk about that I havent already covered.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:02 pm

As for no money going into polywell , with a little luck that may change. It has been no secret that Park is beating the bushes for investors, more importantly investors that can see this though to the end.
And now we have this tidbit out of the climate talks:
Gates will announce the creation of a multibillion-dollar clean energy fund on Monday at the opening of a Paris summit meeting intended to forge a global accord to cut planet-warming emissions, according to people with knowledge of the plans.
The fund is meant to pay for research and development of new clean-energy technologies. It will include contributions from other billionaires and philanthropies, as well as a commitment by the United States and other participating nations to double their budget for clean energy research and development, according to the people with knowledge of the plans, who asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to discuss the fund.
So maybe? :wink:
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:43 pm

Unfortunately, to date, US money is only interested in the subsidies leveraged returns on solar and wind. They see the argument as a profit margin one. Much more profit to be had when the government is pouring tax money into it to support investment returns.
If fusion ever sees similar support, then I predict the willingness of US investors to fund it will improve accordingly.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Giorgio

Postby Giorgio » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:17 am

Last edited by Giorgio on Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Giorgio

Postby Giorgio » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:04 am

Robthebob

Postby Robthebob » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:22 am

that's unfortunate, your loss tho.

What I meant to say is, I covered the points, but you didn't get them. But that's not correct either, I think you just didn't attempt to learn the points I made.

Happens a lot on the internet, complete arguments are cheer picked apart, while the rest never goes through. Not sure what I should do when I repeated all my points twice, lol... what should I do?

Giorgio

Postby Giorgio » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:09 pm

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:33 pm

AcesHigh

Postby AcesHigh » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:27 pm

this article claims Wenderlstein 7X was the first in the world ever to produce hydrogen plasma? Other fusion prototypes only produced helium plasma. Is there any veracity to that?

http://www.iflscience.com/physics/germa ... orld-first

"Germany's Fusion Reactor Creates Hydrogen Plasma In World First"

"Last December, the team managed to suspend a helium plasma for the first time in history, and they’ve now achieved the same feat with hydrogen. Generating a hydrogen plasma is considerably more difficult than producing a helium one, so by producing and sustaining one in today’s experiment, even for just a few milliseconds, these researchers have achieved something truly remarkable."

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:39 pm

Was not WB6 and 7 tested with H2 gas? ie. Generated H2 plasma?
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:14 pm

Return to “News”