LENR Is Real

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

parallel

Re: LENR Is Real

Post by parallel »

The trolls maybe interested in this current live replication of Rossi's Hot Cat by MFMP, that they are so certain doesn't work.
http://www.e-catworld.com/2015/05/28/mf ... ve-thread/

And this independent experiment from China.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/267085905/New ... gen-loaded

Axil

Post by Axil »

Good news from china!
Songsheng Jaing, who works in the Ni-H Research Group in the state-owned China Institute of Atomic Energy, just published a presentation about his experiment with a Lugano-like reactor.
He got excess heat and was able to stimulate and measure heat after death (HAD) multiple times.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/267085905/New ... gen-loaded

Axil

Post by Axil »

The currently active MFMP cold fusion reactor test is running at an excess heat production level of 27%. This level is going up over time. This excess heat production level is reckoned against a dummy reaction driven by the same input power feed as the fueled reactor. This test will continue to run over this weekend.

see this speadsheet for running reaction data...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1291075296

The peak difference is up to 31%.

The peak difference is up to 33.4%.

The peak difference is up to 34.4%.

The peak difference is up to 35.6%.

The peak difference is up to 37.1% at end of experiment.

Heat production after power off for 3.75 hours.

https://youtu.be/UTvaX3vRtRA

Axil

Post by Axil »

The plot here shows input power as a function of temperature for each day for the last MFMP experiment, and then subtracts the experimental run (Fri - Sat) from the calibration run (3-Jun) for excess power.

It shows about 200 to 250 watts of anomalous heat above 650 deg C heater temp. COP of 1.3 to 1.7.

Asterix

Post by Asterix »

One thing that puzzles me is whatever happened to the COP of 30 reported by Levi and Rossi some, oh, 4 years ago?

parallel

Post by parallel »

Asterix
One thing that puzzles me is whatever happened to the COP of 30 reported by Levi and Rossi some, oh, 4 years ago?

Why?
You expect a novice to do as well as Rossi who has been working on development for at least five years?

Mats Lewan, and another, report the COP for the 1 MW plant to be >20. It looks like one gets a higher COP the closer it is to the reactor running out of control, so it is a control/safety problem.

Asterix

Post by Asterix »

Parallel, what has me puzzled is why anyone would promote a device with a COP (well, thermodynamic efficiency) of 3 (as Rossi has reported in the Lugano test), when 20-30 was realized years ago--and particularly when applied to heat his working quarters.

It's like an investment fund advising clients that, due to revisions in their policies, that they consider a ROI of 300% to be "safer" than a consistent ROI of 2000%.

Look, if thermal runaway is an issue, better to deal with that with safety devices rather than settle for 1/10 the efficiency, no? And a real, accessible, commercial device exhibiting this level of performance would surely shut down any skepticism.

One should also note that the claimed COP of 20 was done in the early days when Levi and Rossi were very new at this.

parallel

Post by parallel »

Asterix,
Most of your questions have been answered already.
It is not that simple. You get a higher COP as you get nearer the run away point. Safety devices will not alter that fact. The higher COPs you mention were never for extended periods. The Lugano test was run below the high COP level to increase the chances that it wouldn't fail.

Rossi only guaranteed a COP of 6 originally. It seems he can get more with a number of E-Cats connected together, where presumably one can supply some heat to another.

He has said recently that a single Hot Cat has a better inherent COP as it has a longer self sustain mode than the low temp E-Cat.

Axil

Post by Axil »

The Lagano test has been replicated at least three times already with more to come. A fair minded scientist should ask himself, "How does any system produce more power than is fed into it?".

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

I managed to replicate the Lasagna results. Results that are much more pleasing. Whole family loved it.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

JoeP wrote:I managed to replicate the Lasagna results. Results that are much more pleasing. Whole family loved it.
I humbly suggest you also try the Tiramisu experiment.
Connected with the lasagna experiment is a sure way to give you repeatable over-unity results!..... even if only on the weight scale.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

Axil wrote:The Lugano test has been replicated at least three times already with more to come. A fair minded scientist should ask himself, "How does any system produce more power than is fed into it?".
The Lugano test showed a calculated COP (at the two higher temperatures) of 1.07 and 1.07. The errors here, due to lack of control, are large, so this is +/- 50% or so.

Still the fact that the two different high temperature tests show identical COP (a result robust in presence of error) makes it pretty certain there is no temperature-dependent exothermic reaction here.

The fact that COP measures 1 to within the errors is another give-away.

To rephrase Axil: "How does a fair-minded scientist, faced with repeated replications of a system with COP=1, deduce nuclear reactions?"

Another give-away: The 62Ni isotopic results (0.55g of natural Ni converted to 99% 62Ni) imply an enthalpy excess 3X higher than claimed for this test, and 10X higher than the largest possible energy excess allowing +50% errors from the Lugano measurements.

And here, for those who want to wade through it, is the Lugano thermal recalculation, using the methods of the test itself, but correcting for the emissivity error - explained in detail in this document. The true calculation requires some numerical integration, and is not precise, but good enough. Especially because the two higehr temperature COPs being identical is a robust and (for me) rather unexpected result that remains true when you play around with the various possible fudge parameters. The code is included, so anyone interested can do that.

http://docdro.id/12odg

What annoys me is the fact that LENR advocates are ignoring the clear evidence of the most detailed ever independent test of Rossi's technology.

Best wishes, Tom

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

Giorgio wrote:Connected with the lasagna experiment is a sure way to give you repeatable over-unity results!..... even if only on the weight scale.
:lol:

parallel

Post by parallel »

TomClarke.
"The Lugano test showed a calculated COP (at the two higher temperatures) of 1.07 and 1.07."

I don't believe you. Show your workings or reference you used for that statement.
Just referencing your First Law is not an adequate answer.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

I've linked - in the post you reply to - a note I wrote containing all the workings, and the code to generate the numbers. It references all my sources and is self-contained. There are a few typos etc, and the (long) section on "other errors" is maybe a bit ropey. But the 1.07 COP bit is pretty simple.

It is not a matter of belief - but of examining the math and the numerical calculation. I'll be happy to correct it if you find mistakes.