I'm an old timer now:(

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ohiovr

Re: I'm an old timer now:(

Post by ohiovr »

Skipjack wrote:Not an editor, but a fantastic post processing software (I have been using it since version 2.something I cant remember its been so long ago) is Fusion (used to be "Digital Fusion") by Eyon. Now Blackmagic Design recently bought Eyon and they are giving a fully functioning (with some very small limitations) version away for free right now:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/
Fusion is a fantastic tool and was one of the first completely node based post production and special effects tools.
That's really cool skip. I'll try to learn it the next time I have to do 'After Effects'y type work.

ohiovr

Post by ohiovr »

Cool that we got so many media nerds here. You all now have tools of communication only dreamed about in the 1990s. Go blow'm away with the new ideas!
Last edited by ohiovr on Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ohiovr

Post by ohiovr »

double post

Aero

Post by Aero »

Tom Ligon wrote:Pinnacle Studio can make movies from a sequence of stills ... I've played with some time-lapse sequences. Its not one step, though ... it would probably take a noob a few days to figure out how that package works. It is not free, but the basic package is affordable.

I own a few "trail cameras" that can be set to do time lapse sequences. The brochure for the Covert MP6 claims that their website has free software that can turn a time lapse sequence into a video, but the cameras use .jpgs, not .png, and the free software may not handle the fancier format.

I don't know if you can download this without buying a camera, but here's what the Covert entitles you to:

http://www.scoutingassistant.com/covert/

There should be some affordable comparable product out there that does what you need.

If this is Polywell-related, maybe you could send me the files on a CD, or use some cloud transfer site, and I could make the movie for you. Sounds like way too much data to e-mail.
Unfortunately its not Polywell, its EM Drive. I'm using an FDTD software to look at the time domain solution of Maxwell's equations with boundary conditions and real world thin copper. (The Eagleworks truncated cone cavity) It's a challenge to learn the program but so far I've made some pretty pictures using perfect metal.
Aero

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Heh, heh, heh, well then! I'll do it for an EM drive project as well, just as long as you know I've got contacts in that area as well who might be competing with you. But then again, maybe you'd like to join them.

My guru thinks that Maxwell's equations allow it, with no violation or new physics, as long as you understand what they really say. And he thinks that truncated cone experiment is working very much sub-optimally.

Aero

Post by Aero »

Tom Ligon wrote:Heh, heh, heh, well then! I'll do it for an EM drive project as well, just as long as you know I've got contacts in that area as well who might be competing with you. But then again, maybe you'd like to join them.

My guru thinks that Maxwell's equations allow it, with no violation or new physics, as long as you understand what they really say. And he thinks that truncated cone experiment is working very much sub-optimally.
Here's a little bit of progress. Turns out the folder with only the .png files is not as large as I said. There are 332 .png files at about 360kB on average for only ~120 MB. Of course I need to shift my .gif files out of the folder and put the .png files all back in the same place, then I'll know what the total size is.

As far as compititon, the only thing I could hope for in this whole effort is a little recognition and I could only get that by writing a paper for publication. But I haven't published a technical paper for 40 years and only 5 in my life so it's very unlikely I could publish as a lead author. (I note that makes me an old timer, too, so this is on topic.) I don't know if the Maxwell equations allow the force or not. I have a hunch that they might, once all of the assumptions are removed from the derivations, and that is what FDTD does. FDTD introduces numerical and computational uncertainties instead, but those can be overcame by increasing the resolution. That is, by adding computing power. The program I'm using, Meep (MIT Electromagnetic Equation Propagation ), has been used to calculate the classic Casimir force in agreement with the best values available so it is capable of calculating any force that the thruster might produce, again, the problem is computing power, (and user skills :| )

Perhaps we should take this to a different venue, it could quickly go far off topic on this thread.
Aero