Election results

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Wittgenstein

Election results

Post by Wittgenstein »

OK, the election is now over.

I'd like that to result in the release of some good polywell news.

Please. Pretty please. With sugar on top.

:-)

Helius

Obama's speech.

Post by Helius »

Did you watch Obama's speech?

He mentioned "new energy sources" in his litany of change stuff, at least by my recollection.

That and what he said earlier about bankrupting coal, Maybe he knows something we don't?

Saw the transcript the quote is " There is new energy to harness ......"
Last edited by Helius on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

Well, without actively working to make him aware of the situation, I don't know that Obama's election will mean anything. Even if aware, there's only so much a president can do (strange as that sounds).

But I guess we'll have to wait for some news on feasibility before pitching polywell. No? If it comes back positively, however, I think we can all start screaming to the new president to put in funding for it.

Mike

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Hadn't McCain said something similar re: coal ?

Wittgenstein

Re: Obama's speech.

Post by Wittgenstein »

Helius wrote:Did you watch Obama's speech?

He mentioned "new energy sources" in his litany of change stuff, at least by my recollection.

That and what he said earlier about bankrupting coal, Maybe he knows something we don't?
Well, my comment was more directed at the common thought that announcements would be held until after the election. But now the election's over so spill the beans guys! :wink:

Obama's gonna be very supportive of any energy sources that can be safely and economically exploited. If the evidence shows that polywell holds real promise, I'd be shocked if he were not enthusiastically supportive. (FWIW, I don't doubt that McCain would also have been equally supportive.)

I think what Obama has in mind now are things like cost effective solar (which we may be reaching soon), wind and geothermal, and biofuels that are not merely expensive ways of burning food. Things that might not be quite ready for prime time, but are far enough along to be attracting research attention and venture capital. (We might start hearing more about methane hydrates in the next few years too.)

Dr. Nebel's results being so promising that Obama's been briefed already and is making plans for a fusion-powered future is wishful speculation. Might be true, but probably not. But it would be way cool if it were.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

I'd love if the polywell turns out good enough to bankrupt coal. I'd love any clean and sustainable energy that can match or beat coal for cost. But the evidence I've seen says Obama intends to bankrupt coal with taxes.

Jeff Peachman

Post by Jeff Peachman »

obama doesn't plan to bankrupt coal, he only wants to bankrupt those who don't slowly adapt.

And its not with taxes, its with regulations which require polluting parties to purchase the rights to pollute.
- Jeff Peachman

Chuck Connors

Post by Chuck Connors »

Hasn't anyone seen the giant elephant in the room yet? I think it very likely that the Obama Administration will severely curtail defense spending. This happened under Clinton after the end of the 1st Gulf War, and now Obama is in a similar position.

Yes- He is a proponent of alternative energy, but these will be pushed by social and environmental policy, not defense related research. As the Armed Services see their funding dry up...the first to go will be discretionary money for research (i.e. Polywell). In fact they may already see the handwriting on the wall.

I don't agree with it one bit, but if the Navy cannot step up hopefully VC will get a chance at proper funding (WB-100).

clonan

Post by clonan »

Chuck Connors wrote:Hasn't anyone seen the giant elephant in the room yet? I think it very likely that the Obama Administration will severely curtail defense spending. This happened under Clinton after the end of the 1st Gulf War, and now Obama is in a similar position.
If you look at his proposals, almost all of the decrease in military spending comes from ending the Iraq war. If anything there will be MORE money for research projects since the Pentagon won't have to raid other programs to make up the difference in Iraq.

Aero

Post by Aero »

No - I've seen it to many times. WW-II, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf war. Its always the same. Military appropriations are cut to the bone, the military scratches for every cent to keep their mission critical capabilities funded. Everything not mission critical gets cut until special interests scream to congress for money which is then looked upon as pork.
Aero

Chuck Connors

Post by Chuck Connors »

Aero-

Yep. And he's got the Congress to back these kind of cuts.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Hasn't anyone seen the giant elephant in the room yet? I think it very likely that the Obama Administration will severely curtail defense spending. This happened under Clinton after the end of the 1st Gulf War, and now Obama is in a similar position.
Barney Frank has already suggested 25% defense cuts. Ouch.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Obama's gonna be very supportive of any energy sources that can be safely and economically exploited
No, he isn't. He's already against any new nuclear plants. There are decades of entrenched enviro opposition there.

That said, it's not impossible he could support Polywell.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I have heard the opposite. He said that he sees nuclear power as a critical and important part in energy independence.

Anyway once this war is over, there will be tons more money for anything else, including Nuclear Fusion, I am sure.

Oh and dont even get me started on the Iraq war. This war is a failure from the very beginning to the very end.

classicpenny

Post by classicpenny »

Skipjack wrote:once this war is over, there will be tons more money for anything else, including Nuclear Fusion, I am sure.

Oh and dont even get me started on the Iraq war. This war is a failure from the very beginning to the very end.
No matter one's position on the this war - justified or not,
Not matter one's feelings about "cut and run" - pro or con,
At this point it is painfully obvious that we cannot afford to wage war in this manner:
We cannot afford to initiate an invasion without an exit plan,
We cannot afford to "liberate" a populace that clearly has no wish to be liberated
We cannot afford to pay civilians princely sums to do the jobs of soldiers,
We cannot afford to circumvent the bidding process and award multi-billion dollar contracts to contractors such as Halliburton and "Blackwater,"
And we cannot -ever again- afford to have a President and Vice President who will permit such things to occur.