EM Drive

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

tokamac
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: EM Drive

Postby tokamac » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:41 am

Betruger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Betruger » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:27 am

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:22 pm

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Tom Ligon

Postby Tom Ligon » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:09 pm

Aero

Postby Aero » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:41 am

Well is it possible to drive more than one EM Thruster having different resonate frequencies with the same magnetron? And still get reasonable drive power to each thruster.
Aero

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:53 pm

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Stennis Space Center, Exit 2, I-10, MS

Lots of bugs and gators. Spent some time there.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:57 pm

Good for Stennis that they were willing to give it a try. I'm surprised anyone would say no to them. What was the supposed reason they said no?

birchoff

Postby birchoff » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:33 am

Here is a talk Dr. White gave at the Mars Society Convention on August 8. He covers what I assume is the latest news on the Warp field tests, along with the information from the tests on the Cannae and EmDrive replica reported in the AIAA paper from July 30 2014.

Betruger

Postby Betruger » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:06 am

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:38 pm

I'm missing something. It wasn't White who turned down Stennis, was it? Usually the centers don't collaborate until one of them needs validation. I thought it was Cannae who refused SSC. Wish I had time to go back and read this thread better but I'm rushed today. Maybe later.

Betruger

Postby Betruger » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:48 pm

My bad. I thought Eagleworks was the only contact Cannae had with NASA. That is pretty weird. Them turning down Stennis.

Aero

Postby Aero » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:08 pm

I'll bet there was a money issue in there somewhere.
Aero

AcesHigh

Postby AcesHigh » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:52 pm

paulmarch

Postby paulmarch » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:56 pm

[quote="AcesHigh"]interesting post at NASA SpaceFlight Forums...

Would love Paul March to answer this... and does anyone know IF this issue raised by this post, if valid, can also happen with Woodward Effect?

[quote="Rodal"]
I have concluded that thermal transient effects are a likely explanation for the measured deflections and forces in NASA's torsion pendulum experiments of the Q drives. Explicitly, that they are the result of a shift in material location of the center of mass due to differential thermal expansion resulting from heating of the dielectric resonator which is positioned unsymmetrically. If this explanation is correct, Dr. White still should also be able to measure (slightly lower) forces when he places the Q drive in a torsion pendulum in a vacuum. However, if the Q drive were free in space (instead of supported from a pendulum), this transient, unsymmetric, thermal expansion would result only in a change in attitude (orientation).

AcesHigh:

You can inform Dr. Rodal that most of the observed forces in the Eagleworks Lab frustum devices were prompt with the same rise and fall times as our electrostatically derived calibration forces and therefore are not thermal in origins. That's not to say we didn't see thermal effects, especially with input RF power levels greater than ~35W, but the thermal effects with these large copper plus dielectric test articles, (2.5 to 5.0kg), always take tens of seconds to develop and are easily distinguished from the prompt E&M or more interesting force inputs since they always exhibit exponential rise and fall times.

BTW, the copper frustum's temperature never rose more than 1.0 degree F. when using the above average power levels and test articles.

Best,
Paul March
Friendswood, TX

Return to “News”