Taiwanese student under investigation for operating a fusor

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Ivy Matt

Taiwanese student under investigation for operating a fusor

Post by Ivy Matt »

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subc ... 1&cid=1104
Chen Kuo-yi, a college student at Taiwan's National Taitung University, is reported to have created a homemade fusion reactor costing under NT$13,000 (US$435). The country's Atomic Energy Council has investigated the reactor and the student could face jail and a heavy fine if it is found to have caused radioactive contamination, reports our sister paper China Times.
So, how long before we see teenagers going around wearing "fusion is not a crime" T-shirts? :wink:

In all seriousness, I expect the Atomic Energy Council to find no harm done, but you never know.

Here's a video he posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77sw5zQQFR8

星星 means "star".
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

derg

Re: Taiwanese student under investigation for operating a fu

Post by derg »

For $435? Is that even possible?

tauntaun_rider

Post by tauntaun_rider »

After watching the video, I'd say it is possible that his rig cost him US$400, but it's highly unlikely he is getting fusion reactions in measurable quantities. The video looks like his grids are hopelessly dirty too.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I think the "star in a jar" project on fusor.net was probably that cheap.

The "Dog and Pony 1" fusor I slapped together that set off the movement would have qualified except that I threw $700 at a really nice vacuum pump. Richard Hull is a world-class scrounger and was capable of finding good vacuum pumps for prices like $15 ... just needed an oil change or maybe a seal replaced. My power supply was based on a neon sign transformer obtained by dumpster-diving outside an electrician's shop that did sign work. However, DP1 was incapable of measurable fusion.

I predict the kid should be fine. If he made enough neutrons to make measurable radioactive waste, he should get a scholarship, not jail.