The Widening Divisions

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

The Widening Divisions

Postby MSimon » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:39 pm

This comment is interesting (emph added):

...and basically say that most liberals prefer living in big cities and conservatives prefer the opposite, and conservatives want to be in communities where most share their religious beliefs. They’re describing the South, the Bible Belt, where you can get a big house for not much money but you’re often going to have to drive a ways to get to civilization.

Other polls tell us the rest. We know from all the available data that the biggest part of the conservative base are old white men heavily concentrated in the South, where I live. Time is going to change things considerably as much of the GOP base dies off. Hopefully the angry old white man thing dies off with them and we get past all this divisiveness that is so harmful to this nation. I don’t see us getting super liberal like you, but even in the south younger people are much more socially liberal than old folks. I’m not just talking about people under 30. People under 60 down here tend to be way more “liberal” on social issues than those a few years older than them. Even our younger religious people are way more open-minded than older Southerners. Cable TV, the internet, syndicated radio broadcasts, all of these things have made it a much smaller world and those of us who grew up in the Seventies and beyond are not that different than people our age in the rest of the country. Republicans had better figure that out if they want to stay in power down here.

My response:

They are different ecological niches. And the rules for those niches are different. The thermodynamics of those places is different.

A live and let live attitude would be the best.

==================

The difficulty is that none are looking at the big picture. Neither can see the other. At least for now.

TDPerk

Re: The Widening Divisions

Postby TDPerk » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:31 am

Look you idiot, you don't want the GOP to die off--the liberals don't do math.

For more then a hunter-gatherer lifestyle, you have to do math.
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:12 am

paperburn1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby paperburn1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:24 am

It has been my experience , when something dies out something far worse grow in place of it.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Betruger
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Betruger » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:57 am

For example?

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:22 am

williatw

Postby williatw » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:28 am

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:48 am

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:26 pm

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:24 pm

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:52 pm

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:17 pm

hanelyp

Postby hanelyp » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:03 pm

The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

williatw

Postby williatw » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:31 pm

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:00 am

Ok, lets make this simpler, when thing evolve and adapt to the changes of the forces around it there is the possibility of improvement, BUT when something is ripped from the system the force that fills its gap usually is not for the better.
Medical SCIENCE is not a social force.
I am implying more of a Rene Descartes view of social events.
"So it seems reasonable to conclude that physics, astronomy, medicine, and all other sciences dealing with things that have complex structures are doubtful; while arithmetic, geometry and other studies of the simplest and most general things – whether they really exist in nature or not – contain something certain and indubitable. For whether I am awake or asleep, two plus three makes five, and a square has only four sides. It seems impossible to suspect that such obvious truths might be false."
So if you rip or let the republican "die" from the system then what takes its place will not be a benefit to the social organism in the long run. If something is nurtured to replace that republican ideal then there can be a progress forward.

Return to “General”