EV Batteries and UltraCaps

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Rick Brice

EV Batteries and UltraCaps

Post by Rick Brice »

Mike Holmes mentioned EEStor as SCIFI in a posting on NISSAN Electric Vehicles. I thought this link might push EEStor toward reality.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/news/pres ... ement.html

With the EEStor UltraCaps one might even conceive of storing lightning bolts.

I'm waiting for someone to loudly yell. INCONCEIVABLE!
RH Rule? But I'm Left-handed!

Aero

Post by Aero »

I don't know if "Incredible" is close enough, but check out the second post on this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=679
Or just read the whole thread. 8)
Aero

Rick Brice

Post by Rick Brice »

OK, I read it, but .... I happen to work for Lockheed Martin and you should see the size of the magnifying glass used to look at vendors and especially new technology.

I've personally looked at using a bank of ultracaps to level the load on a Li-ion batttery pack for a non-hybrid, plug-in EV I plan to build.

This guy has been driving one around for quite a while.

http://www.metricmind.com/ac_honda/main2.htm

Rick Brice

Post by Rick Brice »

Incidentally, there is also a good article in Nuts & Volts August Issue on how to make the Prius pluggable.

Now, if I could only make my Civic Hybrid pluggable....

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

To correct, I didn't say that it IS sci-fi... my opinion, personally (FWIW), is skeptical, but willing to be convinced. My point in the thread in question was that even "If" Eestor is sci-fi, that there's still hope for the field. I'm rather positive on the possibilities here, not negative. It's simply that Eestor hasn't done a lot to try to prove that they have something real. Which doesn't prove anything, one way or another...

Mike

Rick Brice

Post by Rick Brice »

I missed that other thread at first. It seems to be in the wrong place. Its obvious that EEStor has been keeping things under wraps, but they would not have gotten an agreement with LM without a serious show-and-tell with some serious PhD Principle Engineers.

I'm a serious skeptic myself about a lot of things, but not this Polywell. Doctor Bussard was a vacuum tube era physicist and these youngsters just don't get it because they haven't had that experience. I think it is facinating. A big vacuum tube with a magnetic bottle/grid and a fusion plasma. How cool is that?

I think most people do not know how desperately the world needs this to succeed, now!

Roger

Post by Roger »

Rick Brice wrote:Incidentally, there is also a good article in Nuts & Volts August Issue on how to make the Prius pluggable.

Now, if I could only make my Civic Hybrid pluggable....
Try calcar.org
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

Torulf2

Post by Torulf2 »

How about superconducting coils for energy storage in electric vehicles?

Munchausen

Post by Munchausen »

Superconducting coils are electromagnetic storage. Unless you have your car made from all non magnetic materials it will be wrapped around the coils.

Besides; the specific energy density is bad (something like a 100 Wh/kg if I remember it right)