Cheap Clean Abundant Power: Secondary Implications

If polywell fusion is developed, in what ways will the world change for better or worse? Discuss.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

N3NCY

Cheap Clean Abundant Power: Secondary Implications

Postby N3NCY » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:38 pm

On my commute to work over the last two weeks the "time change" out of daylight savings time occurred as scheduled every fall and spring.
I could not help making some observations along the way.

On my way to work in the dark morning hours before the time changed:
1.) School kids stood at bus stops in the dark
2.) Well lit areas along my route included:
- Mostly wealthy neighborhoods (street lights and parking lots)
- Gas stations (yes they have money for bright signs and lights)

On my way home in the evenings after the time changed:
1.) Houses and driveways of the more "well to do" neighborhoods were brightly lit (in some cases lights were on all night or at least late into the night)
2.) Communities with a higher economic standing:
- Have more lighted areas
- Have brighter lighted areas
- Have lighting systems that stay on more hours of the night and in many cases all night

Although I do not have statistical data (other than my own observations), it is clear that lighting favors the wealthy.

I wonder how much this affects crime (and other safety factors like children waiting for a school bus)?

If electricity became much less costly, so much so that the "monthly electric bill" was not a key factor, would more areas have night lighting?
I suspect that the answer would be: YES

I wonder what other day to day implications of having more "night lighting" may result from "Cheap Clean Abundant Power"?

Would people spend more disposable income during the "social evening hours"?
(Money they currently spend on electricity and fuel)

I can think of one down side to increased lighting:
Increased "Light Pollution" that my hamper my telescope and view of the stars!
Of course if I save money on power, I could afford a better telescope and a relaxing trip with the family to enjoy using it...

I think the "Secondary Implications" of "Cheap Clean Abundant Power" may be more valuable than one could easily assign to a dollar figure.
Something as simple as better night lighting may have a profound effect on society.
Thank you,

Ernest G. Wilson II
http://www.N3NCY.com

Nanos
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Nanos » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:57 pm

DKelley
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby DKelley » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:46 pm

So lighting may have an undesirable affect regardless of the location.

On the subject of crime, I've heard that fences tend to have a negative affect from one's intention since a thief, once inside a fence, no longer has to worry about prying eyes from the neighborhood. (And any half-witted thief knows enough to stake out a house and wait for the occupants to leave the premises before entering the fence.)

[sarcasm]
So, if a fence to block out an unwanted element is instead replaced with an electric, see-through fence (presumably when electricity is cheap) then would that have a positive impact on crime, regardless social/wealth status of the neighborhood?
[/sarcasm]
"Just because you can," doesn't mean "you should."

BenTC

Postby BenTC » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:05 am

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

Nik

IIRC...

Postby Nik » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:22 pm

choff

Postby choff » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:21 am

CHoff

krenshala

Postby krenshala » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:51 am

Stoney3K

Postby Stoney3K » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:33 pm

Because we can.

jsbiff

Postby jsbiff » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:22 pm

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:25 pm

jsbiff

Postby jsbiff » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:36 pm

cgray45

Postby cgray45 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:39 pm

jsbiff

Postby jsbiff » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:50 pm

MirariNefas

Postby MirariNefas » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:55 pm

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Return to “Implications”