Free energy not all good?

If polywell fusion is developed, in what ways will the world change for better or worse? Discuss.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ohiovr

Free energy not all good?

Post by ohiovr »

Hello,

I haven't posted on this forum I'm pretty sure so i thought I'd give it ago. Is free energy really a good thing for the future of man? What will mankind do with this incredible gift? I read somewhere that it would take 5 earths to bring the rest of the world up to the USA's level of living standard. How many earth's would it take with free energy? At some point it is all ridiculous. Bee are going extinct, and we have neither the political will nor the technology to prevent it from happening. There is simply no substitute for bees. There will never will be. Because by the time man figures out how to make robotic bees, the ecology that supported the plants we harvest will have been destroyed forever. There is no turning back. In Ohio every last acre of land not on a hill or mountain is used as either office, factory, house, or farm. If energy is cheap the whole world will be like this. I read that 47% of all vertebrates in the world have died since 1970. Habitats are simply disappearing. Free energy just means that there is no energetic limit to how we can mold the earth into our shape, squeezing out millions of years of biological development in just a few decades. We depend on the earth's ecology. I don't believe in global warming. But the oceans are becoming more acidic and it is causing shelled animals to weaken and become less viable. Maybe free energy would help in this area, lots less co2 being made.

kunkmiester

Re: Free energy not all good?

Post by kunkmiester »

Cheap energy also means cheap expansion into space. You want five earths? Let's start building.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

ohiovr

Post by ohiovr »

Well there is mars and the moon, but what else? That's not even 1 and a half earths. Giant space stations?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ohiovr wrote:Well there is mars and the moon, but what else? That's not even 1 and a half earths. Giant space stations?
O'Neill Islands.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Abundant cheap energy, along with the needed know how, allows material wealth with less raw material input, using materials that are otherwise unusable. With enough cheap energy the garbage you throw away becomes potential industrial input.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

kunkmiester

Post by kunkmiester »

ohiovr wrote:Well there is mars and the moon, but what else? That's not even 1 and a half earths. Giant space stations?
Duh. Plus what Hanleyp said. Need to expand your reading list beyond Malthus and company. Start reading some 50s and 60s hard Sci fi. Cheap energy means the sky is not a limit, nor are or grades.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

Teahive

Post by Teahive »

Release too much cheap energy as heat into the lower atmosphere, and global warming will indeed become a problem. I remember reading a study on that once, though it saw the point where this might become an issue a few centuries in the future.

ohiovr

Post by ohiovr »

kunkmiester wrote:
Duh. Plus what Hanleyp said. Need to expand your reading list beyond Malthus and company. Start reading some 50s and 60s hard Sci fi. Cheap energy means the sky is not a limit, nor are or grades.
I've never read malthus. Why do people have to bring every god damned prejudice into a conversation?

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

ltgbrown

Post by ltgbrown »

I brought up this discussion almost four years ago!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2577

At the time though, I thought we were just a couple years away from "knowing" we had cheap clean energy.
Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"