Off topic posts

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Aero

Off topic posts

Post by Aero »

Off topic posts make interesting technical threads very hard to read and follow. Readers often (At least, I do) give up after an off topic page or two, and there-after mark the forum as "Read."

People who make off topic posts probably don't realize that they are degrading their own credibility as technically knowledgeable, certainly their credibility to work successfully within a professional group, the credibility of the whole BB, and by extension, the Polywell concept. Is there any way to determine who makes the most off topic posts in a way that the affected parties would recognize without taking offense?

Maybe a poll, starting today, so that the thread herders could vote? I won't make such a poll, for three reasons.

1 - I don't know how to add names to a poll, without offense,
2 - I don't know how to make it fair. Ten votes because of a single off topic post is not the same as 10 votes because of 5 different posts.
3 - Any motion needs a second, in order that it be brought up for debate.

Any "Seconds?"
Aero

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I believe M. Simon goes off topic more than any one and he is a bulldog about it. You just can't make him give up.

I'd have a talk with him but I just don't think it would do much good.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

MSimon wrote:I believe M. Simon goes off topic more than any one and he is a bulldog about it. You just can't make him give up.

I'd have a talk with him but I just don't think it would do much good.

Yes you have to admire his tenacity!

Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

I used to own a bulldog once. Chewed up all my wife's shoes.
Joe

Roger

Post by Roger »

LOL, ! ! ! !
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

These off topic posts are exactly why I would like to have this forum ported to a sub-threaded system. If one subthread goes off topic, the real thread can still be followed.
I would support (monetarily) such a porting. Would you?

Roger

Post by Roger »

Aero makes a good point. I think sometimes the thread drift is over the top. And it maybe I kinda like Kitemans idea. It would be easier to read each thread separately.

Now lets grab that Simon guy and yank his arm up in back of'im until he says uncle. :-)

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

I don't mind thread drift much myself. Sometimes they wander interesting places, and skimming over what doesn't interest me isn't too onerous.

If you really want to avoid it, you need a Slashdot-like system of hierarchical comments. That way subtopics can march along their merry way and you're free to ignore them.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

TallDave wrote:If you really want to avoid it, you need a Slashdot-like system of hierarchical comments. That way subtopics can march along their merry way and you're free to ignore them.
I think that is what I meant by "sub-threading".

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Roger wrote:Aero makes a good point. I think sometimes the thread drift is over the top. And it maybe I kinda like Kitemans idea. It would be easier to read each thread separately.

Now lets grab that Simon guy and yank his arm up in back of'im until he says uncle. :-)
The Simon guy once told me that he is relatively immune to that kind of negative reinforcement. He said he had four wisdom teeth extracted without benefit of anesthetics.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

MSimon wrote:
Roger wrote:Aero makes a good point. I think sometimes the thread drift is over the top. And it maybe I kinda like Kitemans idea. It would be easier to read each thread separately.

The Simon guy once told me that he is relatively immune to that kind of negative reinforcement. He said he had four wisdom teeth extracted without benefit of anesthetics.

I don't know which is scarier, that or the fact that you keep talking about yourself in the third-person?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Just trying to keep it light.

Roger

Post by Roger »

gblaze42 wrote:
I don't know which is scarier, that or the fact that you keep talking about yourself in the third-person?
Its a standard literary vehicle. Now it may be that Simon doesn't have a license to operate said vehicle, if so he should be arrested.

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

Roger wrote:
gblaze42 wrote:
Its a standard literary vehicle. Now it may be that Simon doesn't have a license to operate said vehicle, if so he should be arrested.
Well it was Christmas and he might have been drinking, maybe he should be let go with a warning, this time.

Helius

off topic.

Post by Helius »

Did ya notice?

This thread *itself* went off topic! :)