Curious observation

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Nanos

Post by Nanos »

I'm sorry, but didn't us Christians have The Crusades where we went and slaughted plenty of folk in other countries...

Looks pretty equal to me..

Where I live, I'm surrounded by people of different faiths, they have evolved away from jhads and are more concerned with the latest mobile phone and which BMW model to get next year..

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Nanos wrote:I'm sorry, but didn't us Christians have The Crusades where we went and slaughted plenty of folk in other countries...

Looks pretty equal to me..

Where I live, I'm surrounded by people of different faiths, they have evolved away from jhads and are more concerned with the latest mobile phone and which BMW model to get next year..
You really need to look at your history. The Crusades were a push back against Islamic encroachment. They did not actually succeed until the Moslems were at the Gates of Vienna.

Not to worry. With the way Europe is going you will be under sharia in another 25 to 50 years. Either that or things will get very bloody.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

I'm sorry, but didn't us Christians have The Crusades where we went and slaughted plenty of folk in other countries...
That's the "liberal guilt" version of events that most of us learn. In truth, whatever its redeeming aspects, Islam was from its inception an unapologetically brutal warrior faith -- founded by a warrior, mercilessly spread by the sword, and called "submission" for a reason -- while the Crusades were a belated effort to re-militarize the West and repulse the invaders after losing much ground to them due to many centuries of becoming more and more pacifistic under Christianity.

To this day, most religious violence involves Islam on one side or the other (or both). You generally don't see Jews fighting Hindus or Christians rioting against Buddhists.
Where I live, I'm surrounded by people of different faiths,
It's a safe bet you don't live in Saudi Arabia, then. Most likely you live in a majority-Christian country where laws are based in Enlightenment ideals of tolerance and equality.

Aero

Post by Aero »

This thread started off as "Have you noticed that rnebel has vanished?," now it has devolved to this.

Dr. Nebel often posted in the Theory forum, and occasionally in the News forum but I don't recall him ever posting on religion, politics, or global warming. Maybe part of the reason he is not posting is that we aren't posting anything worthy of him reading, let alone his response. I expect that Dr. Nebel is strongly focused on further advancing the Polywell technology and I doubt he does more than glance at the titles in the other, non-theory forums.

We have probably lost his attention by now, but if not, those of us who have the ability need to get back onto the theory forum and make an effort to advance our understanding. If Dr. Nebel is still visiting T-P, maybe he will chime in. Of course that is easier said than done for most of us who don't know cr** about the inner workings of the polywell plasma; and the lack of solid experimental information makes our efforts not much more than guess work.

I'll reiterate my contention that the review is long completed. Such reviews are marked as a point on a time line in critical path analysis, they are not marked as an interval. The review is over, the information has been assimilated, lessons learned and new directions given in the form of keep-alive efforts. These efforts could easily be interpreted as, "finalize the design of WB-100 while we round up the money for it." They could just as easily be interpreted as, "go back and take a good hard look at this and this, because we don't think it will ever work the way things are."
Aero

ravingdave

Post by ravingdave »

Aero wrote:This thread started off as "Have you noticed that rnebel has vanished?," now it has devolved to this.

Dr. Nebel often posted in the Theory forum, and occasionally in the News forum but I don't recall him ever posting on religion, politics, or global warming. Maybe part of the reason he is not posting is that we aren't posting anything worthy of him reading, let alone his response. I expect that Dr. Nebel is strongly focused on further advancing the Polywell technology and I doubt he does more than glance at the titles in the other, non-theory forums.

We have probably lost his attention by now, but if not, those of us who have the ability need to get back onto the theory forum and make an effort to advance our understanding. If Dr. Nebel is still visiting T-P, maybe he will chime in. Of course that is easier said than done for most of us who don't know cr** about the inner workings of the polywell plasma; and the lack of solid experimental information makes our efforts not much more than guess work.

I'll reiterate my contention that the review is long completed. Such reviews are marked as a point on a time line in critical path analysis, they are not marked as an interval. The review is over, the information has been assimilated, lessons learned and new directions given in the form of keep-alive efforts. These efforts could easily be interpreted as, "finalize the design of WB-100 while we round up the money for it." They could just as easily be interpreted as, "go back and take a good hard look at this and this, because we don't think it will ever work the way things are."

It is my opinion, and I think it is likewise the consensus that no further discussion of theory is likely to be more than speculation in the abscence of real world test results. There are too many factors that need to be nailed down in order to give a theory discussion some useful direction.
As those test results are currently unavailable to us, rather than not posting anyting, some of us have decided to express opinions about various stuff.

I think we would all love to be able to discuss the advancement of the Polywell concept, but the lack of experimental data is a real hangup. Unless one of us can build one ourselves and make our own measurements, we're just gonna have to wait for something to happen.

In the meantime we can twiddle our thumbs posting about other stuff.

Don't get discouraged. Just enjoy it ! :)

David

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

I'll reiterate my contention that the review is long completed. Such reviews are marked as a point on a time line in critical path analysis, they are not marked as an interval. The review is over, the information has been assimilated, lessons learned and new directions given in the form of keep-alive efforts.
Nebel has suggested they are still in the process of making a decision, specifically that the contracts were to keep things going until a decision was made.

In my experience with project management, reviews can go on for months depending on the complexity, time constraints, prioritization, and scale involved.