Forbes Article.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Helius
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Forbes Article.

Postby Helius » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:10 pm

If he had mentioned Polywell at all I'd have put this in News, but it shows the popular view of fusion. They really like that "30 years away" slogan.

Forbes Article:

IEC is small, inexpensive, grossly under evaluated and *works*. He doesn't mention it.

Can anyone explain why the word isn't out?

classicpenny

Postby classicpenny » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:32 pm

My wife just gave me Sun in a Bottle by Charles Seife, just out last month, a book on the history of fusion, superbly researched and very well written - I wish I could write half as well as he can!
http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Bottle-Strang ... 800&sr=1-1
This quote from page 232: "...Bussard was deceiving himself if mainstream scientific thought is any guide. The equations of plasma physics strongly imply that fusor-like devices are very unlikely ever to produce more energy than they consume."

I believe this reflects "conventional wisdom" in the larger scientific community. When the news media such as Forbes hears about the BFR, they check with their local science "experts," the experts mumble about Ryder, and that's pretty much where it stops. Lacking definitive results from Santa Fe, I don't believe we can expect much else in the media. (Alan Boyle excepted, of course!)

Bill Flint

TallDave

Postby TallDave » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:16 am

Shrug. Sounds like he read Rider's thesis, like everyone else.

Roger

Re: Forbes Article.

Postby Roger » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:26 pm

I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

classicpenny

Re: Forbes Article.

Postby classicpenny » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:58 pm

Helius

Good one!

Postby Helius » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:45 pm

Hey Classic,

Thanks for the *excellent* writeup. I'll be looking for that book your wife bought.

Do you think, as I do, the NIF will have a "Q" well above unity by about mid 2010, or do you think it'll be yet another miss? Do "we" know enough now, or will the chaos through out yet another instability? If NIF does work, do you think it may be a perspective Game changer?

tombo

Postby tombo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Even if NIF gets well beyond energy-breakeven there is the monetary-breakeven hurdle to jump.
The hohlraum's for it that I worked on 2 years ago were $1200 a pop.
They have a long way to go for it to make money.
-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

classicpenny

Re: Good one!

Postby classicpenny » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:02 pm

jgarry

Postby jgarry » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:33 pm

djolds1

Postby djolds1 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:55 am

Vae Victis

Helius

NIF

Postby Helius » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:44 am

tombo

Postby tombo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:46 am

Yes they are thin ultra high purity gold, but the expensive part is the fabrication.
They are tiny (like about 1mm long by 1/2 mm dia if I remember) and have ports with plastic windows 1600 angstroms thick placed very precisely.
Also, they have a fill tube installed.
Then they have to be pressure tested and leak checked.
All of this is done by hand and has a very low yield per try.
If they blow it they have to take it apart clean it up and start all over.
And since they don't get any spares they can't afford to damage one.
So they have to be slow and super careful.
I described it to my friends as gluing soap bubbles to rice grains.
It's amazing that it can be done at all.
-Tom Boydston-

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

Return to “General”