Which party will support this effort?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Roger

Post by Roger »

ravingdave wrote:
The so called "facts" statement does not disprove Sarah Palin's Statement. She has protected taxpayers from wasteful spending
Like that aerial wolf hunting, or the state grant to her Diary Maid.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

Roger

Post by Roger »

TallDave wrote:Roger,

That was a specific instance in which oil companies wanted to wait until there was more natural gas infrastructure, because with natural gas as well as oil they could make more.
You read the article too, good for you. Roj pats TallDave on the back, good boy.

Its been 30 yrs. and there still is no nat gas pipline.

How about Sourdough ?

How about Slugger ?

How about any of the other leases with 100 billion barrels that are untouched?

Who was slamming DEMS on the use it or lose it deal ? Somebody we know -- right ?

Roger

Post by Roger »

It is now time to put this thread to bed.

I ask that everyone go here:

viewtopic.php?p=9695#9695

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Its been 30 yrs. and there still is no nat gas pipline.
Again, you seem to be missing the very basic point: there was no pipeline because it was unprofitable. It says so right in the article.

Companies don't do things that aren't profitable, or they go out of business. If you invest your money in a company, you expect them to do things that are profitable, and avoid things that are unprofitable. I know the whole "capitalism" thing is confusing and frightening to Democrats, but really, come on, this is pretty basic.
How about any of the other leases with 100 billion barrels that are untouched?
There aren't any. If there were profitable fields to be exploited, they would be exploited because oil companies want to make profits. This weird belief that they don't is a bizarre delusion of Democrats fostered by your leadership.
Last edited by TallDave on Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Roger wrote:
ravingdave wrote:
The so called "facts" statement does not disprove Sarah Palin's Statement. She has protected taxpayers from wasteful spending
Like that aerial wolf hunting, or the state grant to her Diary Maid.
She put the governor's private plane on Ebay and refused to build the Bridge to Nowhere.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The aerial wolf hunting is done by state biologists as a conservation measure.

Too many wolves and there is not enough food for Native Americans who depend on hunting to eat.

====

Guys I have a blog for politics.

So I'm calling a one week time out. Any one who has to keep it going can continue here:

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/2008/09/sermon.html

I accept Open ID and any of the other ID systems. You don't need a Google ID. I'm very liberal in my comment policy so speak your piece. Ad homs of a particular nasty sort however, will not be tolerated.

If I see anything up here not related to fusion or energy policy on Sunday it is getting deleted.

I will be passing this on to Joe to make sure he approves.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Roger

Post by Roger »

Right on Bro.

Folks are antsy waiting for news from Santa FE, its was about a yr 'tween WB-6 & WB-7, it might be a while before we see some action, and I dont mean beating up on each other.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Hey, politics is a fine distraction. And it's a contact sport.

Roger and the other lefties here know we righties still have the love, and vice versa, even if we vehemently disagree on some issues. What we have here in Polywell is (hopefully) bigger than any of that.

Heck, some of the discussions in Theory have been less civil than the political/economic threads.

Josh Cryer

Post by Josh Cryer »

Just FYI I don't think the board room decision that "We should keep these land leases for future exploration" is a 'conspiracy.' It's natural to keep holdings for future prospects. But that same language also means "other people aren't going to be able to do research and development so we don't have to worry about competition." I'm not saying that's the thought process (that they are overtly anti-competitive and don't want others to try), I'm saying that's the rough end result. I hope you could at least agree with me on that.

The Mineral Lease Act arguably doesn't let anyone continue holding what is not "sufficiently operated" under its own terms. Check out the "noncompetitive" sections of the act. It just arguably requires a tough Secretary of the Interior to drop the leases rather than letting them exist without enforcement. From what I understand it wouldn't even require new law.

ravingdave

Re: Which party will support this effort?

Post by ravingdave »

Roger wrote:
drmike wrote:At this point energy is too big an issue. Fusion will get great support over the next few years, but if no progress is made, fission plants will get built for sure. It's not a matter of party any more. .
Fission is already getting improved support, ALL YEAR, thru the campaign
djolds1 wrote: Anything with the word "nuclear" is poison with the American Left.

Duane
Daune I am a Liberal Dmeocrat. I would ask you to back that up.

Or fore ever hold your peace.

djolds1 wrote:
Dunno. I think the "alternative energy" pablum can be ridden a good long way.

Duane
Duane. Solar, wind, alternative liquid fuels aren't enough.

Fission will play a role
, Gore said it, Obama said it Clinton said it, McCain said it, Bush said it.

Dunno is right, you dont know. SO let me tell you, all of those people advocate a continuing role for nuclear power generation going forward 20 yrs.

Maybe if you put aside your infantile political bias for one second, you would be capable of actually assimilating some accurate information.

I am by far the most politically involved member here, I work in campaigns. Last year I ran a campaign for 3 School Board candidates and flipped all 3 seats. I was paid $1000 per week. A grand a week for a School Board race.......

I spent 3 days in NH on my own dime, the weekend before the primary. I watched the first half of the Steelers game with Tom Ridge, I had a beer with Chris Shays.

I organize fundraisers, my next event is expected to gross 15 to 20k for a congressional candidate.

Yesterday I just walked into NJ Senator Menedez's office unannounced, and got 5 minutes of face time with his Director of Constituent Services, in front of the other 8 people that were already waiting in the lobby.

I am a member of my towns Democratic Committee, district leader in fact, an elected office. I am a member of my county's Democratic Committee.

I exercise the restraint required to not inflict my political views on this board. Although this is the general discussion section, and the rules are looser here, slapping other talk-polywell members in the face with your political views is not playing nice in the sand box.

If I can sit down and have a beer with Tom Ridge and Chris Shays, and have a civil discussion with men I consider to be extreme ring wingers......

Then I can ask the same of you.

Tom Ridge and Chris Shays extreme right wingers? Ha ha ha... that's pretty good. I've met right wingers that even scare ME !

Well, let's see. I don't have your political experience, but I don't consider myself to be a slacker. When Bill Clinton was first nominated by the Democrats I volunteered to fight against him. I detested George Bush Senior, but I saw Clinton as so horribly evil that I had to take a stand.

I canvased, I donated money, I put out signs, I made phone calls, went to rallys, spoke with people, Painted Giant signs which I put on my property along a highway, made a big mobile sign on a truck featuring a cartoon of Bettle Bailey and Sarge and Popeye chasing a running Bill Clinton while calling him a draft dodger, and drove it all over town, and other things too numerous to mention.

During the course of this campaign, I was threatened, My family was threatened, Vandals defaced my signs, and the Fire Dept. had to be called out two nights in a row to put out the fires that someone had set on my grassland in the middle of the night.

They tried to burn down my house with me and my kids in it in the middle of the night. We were just lucky that the highway is so busy that people could see the fire and wake us up before it got too far along.

I perservered. We carried our county and indeed our entire section of the State. Bill Clinton was spiked in MY area. I have always believed if it wasn't for Ross Perot Siphoning of the Libertarian vote (which normally goes to the Republicans) that George Bush Senior would have ekeed out a victory. (God, I couldn't stand the man myself.)

Well I wasn't done. The Congressional elections were comming up and I decided that the best thing we could do to "Neuter" Bill Clinton was to get rid of his Democrat Supporters in Congress. I decided we had to take out U.S. Rep. Dave McCurdy.

We needed a Candidate, and we had the perfect one in Julius Ceaser Watts Jr. He was at that time a member of the Corporation Commision so I called his office. I didn't get to speak to J.C. at that time, but I told his secretary that I wanted J.C. to run for Dave McCurdy's seat. I infomed them that I would contribute to his campaign, volunteer to do whatever he needed done, and build support in the Southwestern District.

The Secretary said he was flattered, but he had no intention of running for the House. Conventional wisdom at the time was that McCurdy was unbeatable, and ordinarily carried his district with about a 70% Margin. J.C. was simply frightened of running against Dave McCurdy.

I organized a group called "Oklahoma's Freedom Network." It was mostly a collection of gun owners angry about the so called " Assault Weapons ban. " We started holding meetings because we believed Bill Clinton was going to try to take away our guns.

We went to McCurdy's office, en mass (50 or so at that time ) to make very certain that he understood. "We are your constituents. We want you to vote "NO!" on the "Assault Weapons ban."

At the end of the day, McCurdy's office released the information that they had 138 people visit his office that day in person, and over 500 phone calls.

McCurdy voted in Favor of the ban.

We prepared for Battle.

continued on next message.

ravingdave

Post by ravingdave »

Some of the people in our group were quite militant. I made sure they understood the nature of the fight. We cannot win this by being angry. We cannot win this by being loud. I proposed that we use Humor and gile.

McCurdy then gave us a present. He announced he was vacating his U.S. Rep. seat, and running for the Senate. Biggest mistake he ever made. I really didn't think we could take him down while he was running for the Southwest district, but running for the whole state ? With HIS liberal voting record ?

As an added bonus, J.C. Watts found his courage and announced he was going to run for the 4th district.

We found out McCurdy was going to make his Senatorial announcement at the local airport when he flew in in a couple of days.
We met him there with about 80 protestors. (Conservative Protestors is something I just ain't never seen before. :) ) We confronted him at the terminal and he was shell shocked. He just couldn't believe we didn't like him. He and Dr. Goss got into a verbal exchange that almost turned into a fist fight. It was definitely a shoving match.

We made the Local news. Then we made the news across the border in Texas. Then Oklahoma City, Tulsa, etc.

To make a long story shorter, we would find out where he was going to appear, and protest him. For several months.

I decided we needed more. I own a 30 foot trailer, and so I built an animatronic bill board 8'x24' featuring George Washington holding up the bill of rights while Kicking Dave McCurdy in the butt. In giant letters the sign proclaimed "KICK McCURDY OUT ! " Every time George Kicked McCurdy, McCurdy's head would Pop out about a foot. I added sound effects of McCurdy Screaming, and promising he wouldn't do it again, etc.

It was hillarious. We Dressed up as Continental soldiers with fife and drums and Muskets, and then we went to every McCurdy Rally, Speaking event.

The first time McCurdy saw us with this setup he was in the company of the speaker of the house of the state Legislature. They stopped the car and just stared. McCurdy was going to a flag rasing ceremony at the local Goodyear plant, and our operatives from inside said he was completely f*cked up. They said they could hear the screams from the sign all through the ceremony.

We made another trailer mounted sign which we borrowed from Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, and towed it all around the countryside. You know the sign i'm talking about. It's the Picture of Hitler doing a Nazi salute with the caption " All in favor of Gun Control raise your right hand. "

McCurdy changed his schedule to avoid Lawton, so we met him in Chicasha, Enid, Ardmore, Norman, and Oklahoma City. During OU football games, we would park on the side of Highway 9 going into the stadium and wave at the bumper to bumper traffic going to the OU game.
After the Game started, we would move the sign to the other side of the road and catch the traffic Exiting the game.

Most people cracked up. Some weren't so friendly and so we had to be careful. I remeber one paticular incident when we were walking around in front of the sign when a van pulled up, and someone inside was screaming something incoherent. Then the van door started opening and I thought to myself, 'uh oh, here comes trouble. " I turned the musket around so as to use it as a club and was prepared to get physical if necessary.

Some crazy guy was in the back of the van yelling at us but he wasn't attacking. That's when Larry (Dr. Goss) said, "Hey, it's Frank Keating !"
(Frank Keating was running for Governor. ) As I got closer I could here him saying, "You guys are GREAT ! You guys are FANTASTIC ! You have lent an excitement to this campaign that i've never seen before ! " I walked up and said "Let me shake the hand of the Next Governor of the State of Oklahoma! " And so it came to be.

As a result of J.C. Watts running for congress, the National Republican party pulled out all the stops in Oklahoma. At the time there was only one other Black Republican serving in congress, and the RNC was desperate to increase the numbers of Black Republicans elected to office.

We got visits from all the Major Republicans. During this time, I met Phil Grahmm, Haley Barbour, Bob Dole, Pat Buchanan, Governor Keating, Lt. Governor Mary Fallin, J.C. Watts, and John McCain. I had met George W. Bush 2 years previously while campainging for his #$%^%$$ father.

To be honest, I was absolutely NOT impressed with George W. He wore tasseled penny loafers which I have come to associate with the non-working yuppy rich class.

They all saw my sign, and loved it. Somewhere I have pictures of most of them in front of it.

continued on next message.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

ravingdave wrote:Tom Ridge and Chris Shays extreme right wingers? Ha ha ha... that's pretty good. I've met right wingers that even scare ME !
Oh for the sweet love of...

Can we PLEASE take the politics on hiatus for a few days?

Duane
Vae Victis

ravingdave

Post by ravingdave »

As Oklahoma's Freedom Network, we made contacts with people from all over the state. Indeed, we were getting calls from people all over the country wanting to know what they could do. One of things people liked about us is that we didn't ask them for any money. NEVER.

People would call us with tips and information, we'd give them advice as to how to start their own freedom network, but my efforts were mostly concentrated on getting Dave McCurdy.

We needed more. People wanted literature from us. I decided to create a document called "the ABC's of Dave McCurdy. " It was an alphabatized list of reasons why Dave McCurdy was bad for Oklahoma.

A was for Abortion, B was for Bounced Checks, and so on. We cited references for each and every accusation we made. Most of the references were from his congressional voting record.

The document was written with thought in mind. I didn't just want conservatives to hate Dave McCurdy. I wanted EVERYONE to hate Dave McCurdy. On the category H for Homosexuality, I pointed out that McCurdy voted for the entire Homosexual agenda, ( something extremely unpopular to most people in Oklahoma ) I also pointed out that McCurdy wasn't even Loyal to his own people. When it was found out that one of his aids was homosexual, (I believe it was some incident in a theater.) McCurdy FIRED him.

We Printed 20,000 copies and volunteers distributed them in McCurdy's home town of Norman Oklahoma.

We left my phone number on the "ABC's of Dave McCurdy." and I received a torrent of hate filled phone calls. Of course I didn't answer the phone, I just listened to the recorded messages. There was so much raw hatred from the answering machine that we took to taking the tapes to our weekly meetings and playing it for everybody so we could all laugh about it.

We made a parade Float. "Washington Crossing the Delaware."
(I was George Washington.) We went to all the parades we could find out about. Armed forces Day Parade here in Lawton\Ft. Sill , Carnegie, Duncan, Geronimo. We won the "Spirit of 76 Award" In the Oklahoma City Parade. (We had an awesome float. )

We showed up at the Debates between McCurdy and Inhoffe, wearing our Continental Soldiers outfits. McCurdy just melted.

We left my phone number on the "ABC's of Dave McCurdy." and I received a torrent of hate filled phone calls. Of course I didn't answer the phone, I just listened to the recorded messages. There was so much raw hatred from the answering machine that we took to taking the tapes to our weekly meetings and playing it for everybody so we could all laugh about it.

I changed the Answering machine message to " Hello, this is Oklahoma's Freedom Network. If you are a pissed off Liberal, please leave a message. We all get a big laugh when we play the tape back later! " That was a hoot !

I'm gonna skip over the rest, but to make a long story short, Dave McCurdy got Spiked. Bad. I believe his vote count in his home town of Norman was 32,000 to 18,000 in his opponents favor. He left Oklahoma and settled in Virginia where he became a lobbiest. (of course) He mentioned at the time in various interviews about the "Dangerous right wing nut jobs out there. " ( We of course considered these comments to be compliments. )

We later received a letter from the Federal Election commission notifying us that we have been accused of Federal Election campaign violations for campaigning for Inhoffe, or some such. We were all a little bit puzzeled, because were weren't campaigning for Inhoffe, we were campaigning against McCurdy!

There "Proof" that we had done something illegal was a copy of "The ABC's of Dave McCurdy." Specifically the section on B for Bounced Checks. We pointed out that Dave McCurdy bounced 32 checks in the House Banking Scandal, while his Opponent, Jim Inhoffe, bounced none.

Well, our attitude was that people have a right to freedom of speech and freedom of the press, and so therefore, the FEC could go F*ck themselves. Nothing we said was untrue, every fact was carefully checked to verify it's accuracy, and if it happened to make McCurdy look bad, it was still the truth.

As the letter was not certified, we decided to ignore it. On the advice of a lawyer, if it's not certified, they can't prove you received it. After a few months, we received a letter dismissing the charges. I forget why they said they dismissed the charges, but i'm pretty sure it had to do with the fact that the Republicans had taken over the congress and the FEC wasn't going to worry about the losers.

Bill Clinton was then Checkmated. He singlehandedly killed his party's control of congress. The Republicans forced him to balance the budget, and forced him to Welfare reform, and now he gets the credit for doing both of those things. (Media. Hmpf.)

Now of course, George W. has come along and done the same thing for the Republicans. This is not to say that many of them don't need to be kicked out. They do. Many of them are slime balls that started spending like drunken sailors under the pretext of Homeland Security. George W. Bush has opened up the spending floodgates and frittered away all the hard fought gains that were acomplished by the class of 94.

So what now ?

Continued on Next Message.

ravingdave

Post by ravingdave »

Bill Clinton was still in office. What could I do in the Tiny State of Oklahoma ? Rebuke him. He wants the Brady Bill, (proof that people with brain damage think it's a good idea.) the ban on semi-automatic firearms, and further gun control comming down the pike....

We need more guns in the hands of the people. We need to make people understand that the purpose of the Second Amendment is to insure that the people can fight against a tyranical government.

My Group and I set out to make it legal for private Citizens to carry firearms. We had letter writing meetings, we called the state reps, we showed up at the capitol building during legislative sessions in our Continetal soldier costumes, we worked with Senator Frank Shurden
(a Democrat) to propose a concealed carry bill, we looked over drafts of the bill, we made suggestions, we talked to the Governor, ( who at this time was a good friend to us. ) he told us he would sign it. We built support with humor and hard work, we debated, we attended meetings.

One of the things I told the group when we first started was "We are not Republicans or Democrats. " We are Americans that want what is best for our Nation. " We support people who support our beliefs, we oppose people that oppose our beliefs. We believe Guns in the hands of the honest populace is the unseen hand that dissuades those in power from thinking about subjugating us. "

Of course, In Oklahoma, Liberal Democrats are roughly akin to Moderate Republicans Nationally. Most of them are Democrats only because it's a family tradition. Most of My Family is still registered Democrat, but their ideology is actually conservative in most cases.

One funny incident, the League of Women voters asked Senator Sam Helton and Rep. Ron Kirby to give a speach at their meeting. The League was absolutely against Concealed Carry, and they expected the Legislators to speak against it. About 6 of us showed up in our Continental Soldiers costumes, and as it so happens, I knew both Ron Kirby and Sam Helton. We had a little talk before the meeting started, and Sam and Ron asked me for some Stats on Gun Laws in other states, and the effects on crime etc. Well, when they gave their speaches, you could see jaws dropping everywhere. The League of Women Voters were not amused.
The both gave rousing speaches in absolute support of the idea that Law abiding citizens, (as long as they've had proper training in the usage and the law regarding a weapon) could walk around with a gun strapped on their belt.

When we were reviewing some of the proposed drafts for the law, we were aware that there were places that people shouldn't be taking guns. Bars, Banks, schools, etc. But how to reconcile this with our beliefs that people have a right to defend themselves ?

We thought about it. We concluded that the right of a property owner to control his own property gives him the moral authority to tell people that they may not bring weapons onto their property.
Law abiding citizens must respect the wishes of the private property owner and leave their guns behind where they are expressly banned with a sign prohibiting them.

A good comprimise.

The Bill Passed, the Governor signed it, and somewhere I have pictures of several of my friends (Dr. Goss, Dr. Lipron, etc.) with the Governor at the Signing ceremony. I didn't go. It was just a ceremony, and I was just happy to be part of a group that made it happen.
I didn't care about the credit.

After that, People would talk to me at the meetings, ( I was the Chairman, by the way. I forgot to mention that. Oh, and I was ELECTED by the group at the very begining. ) and ask me what we were going to do next ? I said "Next?" Don't you think we've done enough ?

My opinion was we had pushed back against the forces of Gun control to the maximum extent that it was possible in the state of Oklahoma. I wanted to be cincinatus. We were done, as far as I was concerned.
Well, everyone else wanted to keep doing things, and I just didn't see the point in making nuisances out of ourselves. The meetings became once a month, and other than having target shooting and discussions, we didn't do much.

The last thing we did as a group was to Protest Sarah Brady when she came to the OU Campus for a speech. Some Left wing women's group invited her and were somehow using school funds to pay her $ 10,000.00 speaking fee. Well, i'm not saying how we did it, but Sarah ended up giving her speach to a room full of gun owners, and I dare say some of them were over the line. Me ? Me and Dr. Goss, and Several others were outside the building with our sign, this time saying "Kick BRADY OUT!" with a Sarah Figure taking the place of the old Dave McCurdy figure.

We gave boring speaches to a crowd of bored spectators. OU Wasn't going to let us do it at all, and told us we couldn't have any carry signs, and then they put us in a hard to find place behind some building, and most of the people who came from all over the state to see us couldn't find us, and ended up going to Sarah's speech, where they heckled her a bit.

Some local nut showed up with a confederate flag and the camerman from the local paper took a picture with him in the foreground and me in the background giving my boring speech about James Madison. The local nut was arested, and turned out to be one of the Janitors that worked for OU. The picture showed up in the next days edition of the Norman Newspaper and of course was a big embaressment to eveyone.

We had 12 different Revolutionary war flags on our Trailer, We're wearing Revolutionary war costumes, I'm speaking about James Madison, and the asshole cameraman gets behind the Nut with the Confederate flag and takes a picture. That's low down dirty dasterdly. He didn't get any pictures of our Revolutionary war flags. (pine tree flag, don't tread on me, etc. )

We wrote an angry letter to the Gutless owner\editor of the "Norman Transcript" , which of course she didn't print. We thought about trying to do something about it, but I was just not interested in doing any more of this stuff. I wanted to get back to real life.

I think a month later, Timothy McVeigh blew up the Federal Building in Oklahoma City. Dr. Goss and Dr. Lipron went up there to see if they could help. Me and others went to the Oklahoma Blood institute to dontate blood. After that, I urged everyone to just leave it alone. We've accomplished everything that we could reasonably accomplish, we had a lot of fun. Nobody got hurt, and now thanks to the forces of Darkness, Bill Clinton has been saved.

He was next. No doubt about it, but after Tim McVeigh, there was just no way to seperate in the public mind, people advocating Guns from the people advocating violence. No one wanted to be associated with the Michigan Militia, or any of the other "Survivalist" types that were out there. We didn't officially disband, I just stopped calling meetings. Some people wanted us to keep active, and I just told them to go ahead, but as for me, I'm done.

I firmly believe that Tim McVeigh saved Bill Clinton. He did something that caused the voters to recoil in fear. Tim McVeigh subdued the very people who would have been energetically working to get rid of Bill Clinton. He Deenergized the opposition, and he Energized Clinton's Defenders. He gave the Media an excuse to paint us all with a dark broad brush, and in politics it's not the truth that matters. It's what people think is the truth that matters.

People thought Clinton haters were horrible people that blow up buildings and kill innocent women and children.

Yeah, thanks Tim McVeigh. You really F*cked things up for everybody.

In any case, i've left out lots of pieces, but my point is still the same. I may not have political experience as great as Roger's, but I don't consider myself to be a slacker.

I hope you were all as entertained reading this as I have been writing it.

David

ravingdave

Post by ravingdave »

djolds1 wrote:
ravingdave wrote:Tom Ridge and Chris Shays extreme right wingers? Ha ha ha... that's pretty good. I've met right wingers that even scare ME !
Oh for the sweet love of...

Can we PLEASE take the politics on hiatus for a few days?

Duane

To quote the Movie "War Games."

"The only winning move is not to play."

David