The future of WB7

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

choff

The future of WB7

Post by choff »

Now that the contract has expired, what is to become of WB7? Are there any additional experiments it can be used/modified to accomplish, or does it end up sitting in an office in line with the other WB machines. Worst case, maybe sold to a modern art museum, looks very cool. Maybe some university physics department can take it over and use it to teach students.
CHoff

drmike

Post by drmike »

It may well be part of the next contract. No reason to waste a resource if it can answer some useful questions.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

It is not a particularly expensive magrid, nor especially sophisticated, and I gather it has done what it set out to do. With such a clever crew working on it, I would find it hard to believe they have not dreamed up an improved version of the magrid, the chamber, or the supporting equipment. I know I could not resist building something new and better.

The Wright Flyer made five flights in one day (flight number five was when it got away from them while they were trying to store it in the hangar). The result was rags and splinters. It flew, but it was a horrible airplane, and they needed a new one to make a commercial product.

I've seen what is left of WB6, and it ain't pretty. It is fine with me if WB7 winds up a pretty prototype in a museum. It is just a stepping stone, so don't get too hung up with keeping it running.

Aero

Post by Aero »

We can hope that the Smithsonian will want some of these early machines. Maybe it will want them all, or maybe only the break even, proof of concept BFR. Whatever they want, I hope we save it so they can have it. OH, and did I hear someone say, Nobel? physics?
Aero

choff

Post by choff »

Well, if it has no other practical use, I propose one final experiment. Input as much power as can be connected until it finally dies in a shower of sparks and melts into a puddle. Just to see how much max fusion power it can actually make when we don't need to save it. So much current Santa Fe has a brown out.
CHoff

JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith »

While fun, letting the magic smoke out is probably not great for the vacuum chamber. And I imagine that the vacuum chamber can be reused.

choff

magic smoke out

Post by choff »

If everything was timed just right, it could set a new fusion record for this type of device in the one or two seconds between massive destructive power being applied and device failure. I once met an engineer for the CSA, he told me they had to do similar destructive testing on MRI machines, and darn, after all the worrying about getting to this stage, why not have some fun.
CHoff

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

I mentioned that had been the fate of several earlier WB machines. In the Analog article I said I'd picked that principle up from G Harry Stine, who used to be one of their "Alternate View" columnists. He said the program ain't over until the prototype is destroyed.

But it tends to be rough on turbo pumps, and they run about $12k each, on sale.

Roger

Post by Roger »

Only one 1/3 scale sized plane remains of Northrop's 4 or 5 flying wing prototypes.

None of the full sized planes exist, including the jet versions used in the movie about invading Martians.

Here in NJ we have an Thomas Edison Museum.

Enough said.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Roger wrote:Only one 1/3 scale sized plane remains of Northrop's 4 or 5 flying wing prototypes.

None of the full sized planes exist, including the jet versions used in the movie about invading Martians.

Here in NJ we have an Thomas Edison Museum.

Enough said.
I visited the Edison Museum when I was a kid of 10. About 54 years ago.

It was really dusty.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Roger,

I assume you're talking about the little 1-seat "Yellow Peril" flying wing? IIRC, that was built using the remains of an original (mostly as a pattern), but most of it is new. I've seen it fly (which it does well!), and either it or one like it is in the the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy museum now.

The thing to understand about the original flying wing bombers (both piston and jet) is they had opponents that ordered them destroyed. It was unpardonable to do so, but it was very deliberate. I know of no such pressure regarding the Polywell lab machines.

David_Jay

Post by David_Jay »

Simon:

My parents asked me what I wanted for my 12th birthday, and I told them a trip to the Edison museum (living in northern NJ at the time). Only 39 years ago...

Tom:

There is a restored (NOT a replica), flying N9M at Planes of Fame in Chino, California. I have looked it over, but haven't seen it fly. There is another (I think an N1M) at U-H. These are flying proof-of-concept aircraft that preceded the bomber designs, not scaled down "models". U-H is on my museum list, along with Pensacola.

Great documentary - "The Wing Will Fly" on all of Northrup's flying wings.
not tall, not raving (yet...)