Ray Kurzweil, Cyberprophet or Crack-Pot?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Dave,
TallDave wrote:Think of it this way: are you the same person you were at four years of age? At birth? Or have you developed heuristics over that time that are very different from the ones you had then?
Yes; insufficient recollection to tell; and definitely not.. I have the same very basic intent and presence as I had from very early.. Without a doubt at least all the way back to about 5 years old. In fact I remember seeing a poster with 1987 written on it, and it bringing up to my attention that my memory sort of blurred beyond that date. But other than that, most of the change in all that time has been mostly peripheral.
In fact, this is off one of my travel notebooks from about 5 years back: "Beyond and above all the doubt remains this clear and distinct certainty: "I" ". The "I" has a page of its own, empty space all around it. At the time I'd tried to write something more eloquent, but somehow there was nothing to add to it, nor substract to or replace it with. The evolution in heuristics is always accessory to the one fixed intent.
When I run into the more serious girlfriends I've had.. They say the same thing - "time's gone by but you haven't changed at all" :lol:
I think we would all object to a reboot from an earlier time. It would be a progressively worse form of murder the more of our accumulated identity was taken from us.
I think I agree..
When you start thinking about this, you quickly realize there is no moment besides right now that you were entirely the you of now.
You can be a very similar copy, esp. if you're close in time, but never the same.
That's why I don't understand how overnight discontinuity is different from that between any other moment. I've never experienced such a jump. And a memory defect could do as much, without changing who you are, provided the memory is just out of reach, somehow.
Once you accept that, you're forced to accept that a "not-quite-you" in a different place is no different than the "not-quite-you" in another time. You just have less in common.
I'm not forced at all.. Unless I'm mistaken this discussion started on the premise of extending one's life. Not merely to perpetuate the pattern that's unique to us. I think I'm starting to see what you guys mean... And it doesn't interest me as a life extension method. I don't see the point at all, for that purpose. :)
People tend to find this disturbing and don't want to accept it because of how we're programmed. An organism that didn't have a strong compulsion to maintain its current physical form would not have survived long, evolutionarily speaking.
It's not disturbing to me. It's not about maintaining my physical form.. The form is maintained or even multiplied.. That's not the crux of it. The purpose for me is to continue living. Having some duplicate does nothing for that goal unless like I said earlier, I'm also experiencing what that duplicate lives.. Like e.g. Dr. Manhattan's multiples in The Watchmen.

Joe,
JoeStrout wrote:That's true, but I'm not sure where you got the idea that I would say that. You are almost exactly the same person you were this morning.
I'm sorry, it's just that I see too much that could escape us to make any clear cut conclusions outside of each of our personal experience. The same way that lead e.g. Descartes or Locke to regress to a point of sure footing before starting to build their discourse.

I don't see a crutch at all.
That's because you're not using one. You're using the memory theory of identity, which I consider a little coarse (there is more to who we are than just what we remember — there are aptitudes and personality traits and so on too), but is basically sound.

The crutch I've referred to is the idea that you survive if your brain is gradually replaced, while maintaining some sort of continuity, but not if it is replaced all at once, or with a procedure that interrupts continuity.
If I understand what you mean, I still don't agree; maybe because we aren't arguing about the same thing. I don't care about my particular pattern of matter or energy being continued if I'm not there to "remember" it. It seems like the only interest is narcissistic, with all due respect.. Or at least as far as I'm (or a duplicate of me is) concerned.
But your theory doesn't say anything at all about continuity; you are the person who remembers doing everything you did. So, if we had the technology, we could take you completely apart, and reassemble you entirely anew at another place or time, and you'd be the same person — you would survive this procedure — because you'd still remember everything you've done.
Nope. And I don't see a way to test this hypothesis either. It's like I illustrated in the simple graph and in the room full of me's analogy. The only moment all of those me's and I would be the same person would be at T=0. Any time after that instant, each of us is starting a new experience from different points in space. From that moment on each of us would be less and less like each other, even if we had a common stem on the tree of time. Those guys aren't me, and not one of all of us is another.

In the case of the relay-race pattern "life extension", it's a one way street.. I could possibly come to consider everything in my remembered past to be "me", but not the future. And with some thought, it'd be come undeniable to me that I'm only who I remember to be for the duration of time which I've actualy played, i.e. each blue segment in that graph.
Alright, now I'm repeating myself.
Good for you — you're ready to upload, and well ahead most people, who haven't yet thought about personal identity deeply enough and still get by pretty much identifying people by their physical bodies.
I'm definitely ready to upload.. I don't care about this or that physical body or interstellar probe, but I don't see a good reason to go the discontinuous way. And I have to admit that I see it as wrong.. For a copy of me to continue after the original me. It would be robbing that "me" of a genuine identity. It would also be misleading people that he is me, the same way grannies are (in my eyes) fooled when they're given a clone of their previous pet.
Betruger wrote:Twins don't consider themselves one another.
True, because (by my theory) they don't have the same mental structure, or (by your and Locke's theory) they don't have the same memories.
I'm sorry.. I disagree again. To mention another reason this time: there's no way to be at two different places at the same time and still be the same person, unless you are somehow of one same mind for two bodies / one mind seeing thru two bodies at the same time. I'd said this earlier and you disagreed; I still see it that way.

Betruger wrote:There needs to be more precise terminology. I see that the "T1 and T3" persons are indeed different, but their identity is the same.
Whoops — the terminology is precise, when it's used precisely. :) In the context of personal identity, to say "the same person" means that their identity is the same; to say "different people" means people with different identities.
Betruger wrote:[Re. transporter copies...]
Hmm, I was all with you above, but now you're not making much sense — or at least, not being consistent with what you said before. If we fill a room with exact duplicates of you, they all remember everything you did. Therefore, by your original reasoning, they are all you. I would agree with that, and I'm not sure why you're trying to back away from it now and say that only one of them is you.
I didn't express myself correctly. I meant that they are indeed perfect copies of me at T=0, but from then on it's all divergence, they aren't me anymore.
Betruger wrote:I think this debate is not going to be resolved because what consciousness is, is as good as supernatural, as far as empiricaly poking and prodding is concerned. There's no debating that sort of thing.
You give up too easily. This doesn't really have much to do with consciousness, and philosophical debates can be resolved, when people apply themselves with rigor. Mathematics is supernatural too, yet mathematicians routinely resolve debates there. Philosophy is the same, just a little less rigorous.
No, I do think this case is more philosophical than pragmatic.. Like the logical paradox of motion vs immobility / Parmenides vs Heraclitus. IIRC they were at a dead-end that Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle all drove right thru by adopting better premises.
Here we're arguing two points that I think are really distinct. I see that a duplicate would never be a true replacement if there was any overlap with the precursor. The only way to be genuine to the precursor, and thus truly continue its existence, is to take his place. That excludes the precursor surviving the arrival of the replacement. So the replacement would all but stand by the precursor's deathbed.
Second, I disagree that the replacement really is a continuation. Now that I type this, I remember that I'd spent a semester thinking about this, memory as the glue of identity. I need to try and remember what conclusions I'd come to. I'm pretty sure there's something useful there because it was at the same time as I'd read books by Barbour, where time is just an illusion (and continuity isn't required as you say here), and Deutsche's 'Fabric of reality', and somehow I still came out of understanding them with some perspective that leads me today to side with the continuity/memory model of identity.

So I've gone in circles. I'll come back with more succint replies if I have anything new to add.. Sorry for the redundant post.
What I am sure of though, is that I see no good enough reason not to play it safe and go for continuity. I don't see any loss in going that way.. But you've definitely made me see a lack of lucidity in my understanding of all this though, and I'm really thankful for that. I'm going to shed some light, there.

Respectfuly,
m.

Helius

Post by Helius »

TallDave wrote: Why did China stagnate for millennia while Western Civ arose from the Enlightenment to take over the world in mere centuries? In a word, empiricism.
Jared Diamond blames... parallel rivers. China was always culturally more monolithic than Europe. China had first shot at colonizing the rest of the world but destroyed it's entire fleet on the whim of it's Emperor.

If one part of Europe stagnates, another part moves forward and provides the enlightened path for the rest.

Empiricism was late in coming to Europe; Contemporaries of Galileo would have believed all knowledge was ancient, and there was nothing new that could be added. Wasn't Galileo the first empiricist that we know about?
"Ex Cathredra" forces in Europe had to be tiny due to the political devisions relative to Monolithic China where dictates could rule the whole culture.

rj40

Post by rj40 »

Yes, I think I would go for continuity also. Even if it is an illusion. I don’t think I’m such a great blessing to the universe that I must continue in some form or another. No, I just don’t want to die all that soon. So, I’ll pay the extra 50 bucks for the slow transference to a machine. Hey, it’s only 50 smackaroos. No big deal. Medicare Part D ought to cover it.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Helius,

Jared Diamond's theories work extremely well up to the point a society moves past tribalism into statehood. At that point, how the society behaves (culture) becomes paramount. There was nothing stopping China from colonizing North America.

The Caliphates were once the most advanced society on Earth, correctly regarding the West as little more than barbarians, and they could easily have had the Renaissance first, but around 1300 AD they gave up free inquiry (instead insisting all knowledge was now codified) and never fully embraced empiricism (much of their science was more like alchemy). By the battle of Lepanto, Western guns were superior.

The beginnings of empiricism are generally thought to go back to Aristotle. Some trace the beginnings of empiricism in Europe to the exodus of Greek scholars after the fall of Constantinople. Galileo might reasonably be called the first European scientist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... fic_method
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Dave,

You got the time right on the Caliphates (IIRC) but the reason wrong.

The faith people in Islam won out over the reason people.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ckrucks

Post by ckrucks »

TallDave
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ckrucks,

You can't really know if anything is real. On the other hand, if you apply empiricism it turns out reality behaves in very predictable ways, such that we can gain wondrous use from detailed descriptions of how it behaves based on our awareness, especially when we extend that awareness through other physical tools.
Agreed that you can?t really know if anything is real. Although isn?t it a little tough to talk about how reality behaves without knowing if in fact there is a reality or that the reality we use empiricism to gain knowing of actually exists?

Empiricism can get us communication satellites, help a civilization take control of the world or help us push out a nice BFR (bad joke I know...but the formula has always been flatulence = funny) but it seems to lack the umph to answer questions of consciousness, identity and other existential questions.

Empiricism relies on experience through the senses to gain and confirm knowledge. These tools work but I don?t think they work well enough to answer all questions and give us that truth with a capital T we are forever pushing for.

I agree that our senses are good but they are not infallible. Awareness is subjective, Memory is faulty, eyes play tricks on us, what hurts one person does not hurt another. Should we expect these faulty tools to answer the question...How do we know what we know?

On the other hand we could find out that our senses and observations can explain everything in time.

CKR
________
Ford vx54 platform specifications
Last edited by ckrucks on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Although isn’t it a little tough to talk about how reality behaves without knowing if in fact there is a reality or that the reality we use empiricism to gain knowing of actually exists?

Sorry, yes, that should have been
On the other hand, if you apply empiricism it turns out our perception of reality behaves in very predictable ways, such that we can gain wondrous use from detailed descriptions of how it behaves based on our awareness, especially when we extend that awareness through other physical tools.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

MSimon wrote:The faith people in Islam won out over the reason people.
Sure, that's more or less what I was trying to say. And received wisdom didn't just overrule reason; it also trumped experience.

The Christians had the same problem for a very long time (just ask Galileo, or Darwin).

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

TallDave wrote:
Sure, that's more or less what I was trying to say. And received wisdom didn't just overrule reason; it also trumped experience.

The Christians had the same problem for a very long time (just ask Galileo, or Darwin).
You do realize that in both cases it wasn't so much Christianity as more the world view of that time and the Aristotelian method of scientific study that governed?!

joedead

Post by joedead »

Jared Diamond's theories work extremely well up to the point a society moves past tribalism into statehood. At that point, how the society behaves (culture) becomes paramount. There was nothing stopping China from colonizing North America.
Except the emperor and his court.

I'm not going to try and argue empiricism wasn't tremendously important, but if you look at Jared Diamond's work, you'll see you've got it backwards. He more or less claims that the specific shape of statehood in that region constrained exploration. Not much to do with tribalism at all.
Anyways, it sounds a little shoddy to claim that empiricism is what caused Europeans to dominate North America. Sheer dumb luck in geographical, political, and biological advantages were probably just as important.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

gblaze42 wrote:
TallDave wrote:

You do realize that in both cases it wasn't so much Christianity as more the world view of that time and the Aristotelian method of scientific study that governed?!
Well no. I blogged it a few years back. There was a definite discussion about whether the world was an orderly place or if reality was totally determined at the will of Allah. The second view won out.

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... berty.html

http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... uslim.html
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

In the West the experimentalists predominated over the theoreticians.

Thank the Maker.

Jeeze I hit edit when I should have hit quote. My sincere apologies.

I did answer your question.

Simon

olivier

Post by olivier »

joedead wrote:Sheer dumb luck in geographical, political, and biological advantages were probably just as important.
You bet! That reminds me of the story of Christopher Colombus's project, reviewed by the three most famous scientists of his time : a Jesuit, a Jew and an Arab.
And the Arabic scholar, a most respected astronomer, said : "So you want to find a westward route to India and you calculated the distance from Canary Island to Japan as 2,000 miles. But, your calculation is so wrong. You will have to cross 12,000 miles, my poor fellow, and you are never going to make it."

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

gblaze42 wrote:In the West the experimentalists predominated over the theoreticians.

Thank the Maker.

Jeeze I hit edit when I should have hit quote. My sincere apologies.

I did answer your question.

Simon
I did not write this? How did you write from my account?

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

He must have clicked 'edit' instead of 'quote', by mistake.