boostrapping a mars colony

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Tom Ligon

Re: boostrapping a mars colony

Postby Tom Ligon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:44 pm

Tom Ligon

Postby Tom Ligon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:06 pm

paperburn1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby paperburn1 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:35 pm

:D :D We all sound like a bunch of old geezers , I had to code uphill both ways when i used to write code. :D :D
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

happyjack27
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby happyjack27 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:57 pm

krenshala

Postby krenshala » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:56 pm

You forgot the quick-patch kit from your list. Thats to let you get the injured into a sealed environment so you can have a chance to use all the rest of it. :)

happyjack27

Postby happyjack27 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:25 am

Hydration - even just a glass of water.

One of the first things that happen in the vacuum of space is, due to the phase change curve with temperature and pressure, and the extreme vacuum, the moisture on your tongue evaporates right away.

Quickly filling your mouth with water could help prevent - or at least minimize - permanent damage.

Eyes would probably a close second, if not a tie.

TDPerk

Postby TDPerk » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:22 am

molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

happyjack27

Postby happyjack27 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:51 pm

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:28 pm

Somehow I do not think I would be using my last 20 seconds of useable brain power to find a water fountain, maybe something more relevant like saving by backside. :lol:
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

JoeP

Postby JoeP » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:22 pm

Dave Bowman: Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.
Dave Bowman: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!
HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

happyjack27

Postby happyjack27 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:11 pm

These are both good points, but ones that we do not have to put in our proposal for a zero-G sauna.

Tom Ligon

Postby Tom Ligon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:16 pm

One of the perks of working for R. W. Bussard circa 1998 was that it was usually just the two of us, and some days he just wanted to talk about Mars with a science fiction author.

We had some long chats leading up to me writing a fictionalized account of us succeeding with fusion and going to Mars. The rules were, he had veto power over the story. One of the founding rules was that I could have nothing go wrong with the mission to Mars. His reasoning was, if I could anticipate a problem and he had not taken it into account, people would think he was an idiot. If he did not say that exactly, it was pretty close.

This rather seriously limited the potential for drama in the story. But it would have limited the potential for drama in the actual mission, which was his intent.

One of the potential sources of drama was not knowing exactly where to find water. His premise was, if he was going, he'd first know exactly how and where to find water on Mars.

OK, that source of drama is now dealt with: Huge Underground Ice Deposit on Mars Is Bigger Than New Mexico. As Dr. Bussard was a long-time New Mexico desert rat, I'm sure the headline would please him.

http://www.space.com/34811-mars-ice-mor ... erior.html

Return to “General”