Horrible.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Horrible.

Post by Diogenes »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... cense.html

That was a genuine tragedy.

Years ago when myself and my friends and associates were lobbying for concealed carry to be legalized in my state, I suggested that exactly this sort of thing might happen, and that all who intended to acquire a concealed carry license should take steps to insure that the cop gives them a chance to explain that they aren't a bad guy.

I urge everyone who contemplates carrying a concealed weapon to acquire one of these, and have it out first before an officer confronts you.

If you are wearing a gun in a manner that can become accidentally visible, make certain a badge is right next to it in the manner that the cops display with their guns.

It doesn't matter that it isn't a "real" badge, it will save your life because the first thing people will see is the shape and color of it long before they can read what it says.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

hanelyp

Re: Horrible.

Post by hanelyp »

My initial impression is the cop had an episode of STUPID panic when the gun was seen.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

williatw

Post by williatw »

Diogenes wrote:

I urge everyone who contemplates carrying a concealed weapon to acquire one of these, and have it out first before an officer confronts you.
I agree it was horrible and thanks for the tip. I just ordered a custom made badge from:

https://www.badgeandwallet.com/

I usually wear my CCW pistol in a behind the belt clip on holster "supertuck deluxe" from
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

I then wear my untucked shirt over it, pretty well concealed as far as I can tell but it will sometimes (the shirt) ride up potentially making it visible to the public.

choff

Post by choff »

What if a bad guy steals your concealed carry badge, or they start making fake ones?
CHoff

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

williatw wrote:
Diogenes wrote:

I agree it was horrible and thanks for the tip. I just ordered a custom made badge from:

https://www.badgeandwallet.com/

Good. Wouldn't want to lose you. You are one of the more sane and reasonable people on this website. :)

williatw wrote: I usually wear my CCW pistol in a behind the belt clip on holster "supertuck deluxe" from
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

I then wear my untucked shirt over it, pretty well concealed as far as I can tell but it will sometimes (the shirt) ride up potentially making it visible to the public.

Also never hurts to have a FOP sticker on the back of your car. Yes, it's not a good situation when you have to spoof being a member of the "tribe" just to get ordinary consideration, but i'd rather be safe then morally indignant.

I do not carry a gun, nor have I ever been much of a gun enthusiast, but I recognize that we must protect the right to do so, and minimize the risks associated with doing so.

Be safe.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

choff wrote:What if a bad guy steals your concealed carry badge, or they start making fake ones?

Most bad guys aren't that clever, else they wouldn't be bad guys. Most don't think ahead to consequences, therefore they don't think about strategies to avoid them.

If it starts to become a problem, that is when a different course of action might be warranted.
— Lord Melbourne —

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Related, some morons decided some random white cops needed to die in response to the recent highly publicized officer involved shootings.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-dallas ... d=40422456

Cluebat time: shoot at cops at random and you give them incentive to shoot first and ask questions later.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Second Amendment Foundation Calls for Independent Investigation of Philando Castile's Death

The Second Amendment Foundation, a prominent gun rights group, has called for an independent investigation into the death of Philando Castile, the man shot by police yesterday in Falcon Heights, Minnesota. "Wednesday night's shooting of Philando Castile is very troubling, especially to the firearms community, because he was a legally-armed private citizen who may have done nothing more than reach for his identification and carry permit," said Alan Gottlieb, the group's founder, in a press release. "We have received calls of alarm today from many of our members across the country. They are justifiably concerned that a law-abiding citizen may have been wrongfully killed."

https://reason.com/blog/2016/07/07/seco ... =hootsuite
— Lord Melbourne —

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

hanelyp wrote:Related, some morons decided some random white cops needed to die in response to the recent highly publicized officer involved shootings.

Cluebat time: shoot at cops at random and you give them incentive to shoot first and ask questions later.
Obviously I don't condone the attacks, but what did we really expect with the increased reporting of police shootings? I suspect that if the trend continues we shall see even more revenge style attacks such as this. The quickest fix to this issue is through the police departments, weeding out those that are unqualified to be officers, and proper training in situational deescalation.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Weeding out bad cops won't be nearly enough to end white cops shooting black men. In some of the most publicized cases the shooting was justified. Major media is complicit in these revenge shootings when they immediately blame the cop without waiting for the facts to be clear.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

Maybe the practical solution is to have a black/white partner required for all cops in all departments. Expensive yes, but that way there is always a mixed race duo for each and every call.

And if a black person is the person to be questioned, then the black officer is the point person to do so. And vice versa. This might be the corner we have painted ourselves into. There will never be a presumption of racial color blindness or objectivity in any situation. Therefore we will need to take race into consideration as to handle each and every interaction with law enforcement.

Dumb idea? :)

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ScottL wrote:
hanelyp wrote:Related, some morons decided some random white cops needed to die in response to the recent highly publicized officer involved shootings.

Obviously I don't condone the attacks, but what did we really expect with the increased reporting of police shootings? I suspect that if the trend continues we shall see even more revenge style attacks such as this. The quickest fix to this issue is through the police departments, weeding out those that are unqualified to be officers, and proper training in situational deescalation.
Mandatory body cameras on all active duty officers.

I utterly dislike new Federal programs, but I can think of many others on which they waste far more money for less beneficial results.
— Lord Melbourne —

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

JoeP wrote:Maybe the practical solution is to have a black/white partner required for all cops in all departments. Expensive yes, but that way there is always a mixed race duo for each and every call.
Dumb idea? :)
And when they deal with a Hispanic suspect?
The whole notion that Race A can't be trusted to deal honestly with Race B, but Race B can, is toxic. Having some ethnic diversity within a police department (of sufficient size, not to the point of quotas) is still a good idea so bad apples can be exposed by how they deal with fellow police.

Body cameras, providing an unbiased witness, are a much better idea.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Can't resist cross-linking this with the Skynet thread.

I read a sci-fi short story in the 1970s or 80s about a robot/AI traffic cop who pulls some guy over and charges him with a minor traffic violation, then, by "...the authority of the Overpopulation Act of 1990..." (or something like that), pronounces sentence on the perp and proceeds to vaporize him with a ray gun.

Anybody remember the title/author?

We still have cops capable of emotion. If the machines replace them, it will be far worse. Silicon/DNA will be a much greater hurdle than Black/White if this AI stuff gets out of hand. With humans on both sides of the issue there is still hope. Now, let's see if some AI company proposes "impartial" AI cops as a solution to the current turmoil.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

DeltaV wrote:Can't resist cross-linking this with the Skynet thread.

I read a sci-fi short story in the 1970s or 80s about a robot/AI traffic cop who pulls some guy over and charges him with a minor traffic violation, then, by "...the authority of the Overpopulation Act of 1990..." (or something like that), pronounces sentence on the perp and proceeds to vaporize him with a ray gun.

Anybody remember the title/author?

I'm an Avid Sci-Fi fan, but I must have missed that one.

DeltaV wrote: We still have cops capable of emotion. If the machines replace them, it will be far worse. Silicon/DNA will be a much greater hurdle than Black/White if this AI stuff gets out of hand. With humans on both sides of the issue there is still hope. Now, let's see if some AI company proposes "impartial" AI cops as a solution to the current turmoil.

I've been thinking along the lines of drone equipped Police cars that can luanch off the Cop car and flown over a suspect vehicle so that it can quickly show the officer everything inside the car that can be seen from outside the windows.

Could also instruct people to exit the car without risk to the officer.

Of course you could put a gun on it and pop a cap in anybody, but people would never do such a thing, would they?

"Suspect Vehicle!" "Stand by for Drone Scan!"
— Lord Melbourne —