Anonymous finally does something useful.

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Tom Ligon

Anonymous finally does something useful.

Post by Tom Ligon »

Anonymous, a bunch of hackers who usually enjoy bringing down websites just to feel empowered, has turned their attention to ISIS.

Well, for once I approve.

For the last few years I've wondered why people showing up at riots wearing Guy Fawkes masks are not shot on sight, but hey, this softens my opinion. Taking down the ISIS recruiting sites alone would be good. If they can disrupt their communications, even better.

choff

Re: Anonymous finally does something useful.

Post by choff »

There's a drawback to an organization where none of the members can identify each other. It could have ISIS members already on the inside using the others, implicating them, not to mention it was set up by the very establishment it opposes. The product of a mainstream media movie, the same mainstream media that engages in government propaganda. Last time I looked it was called front running your opposition, classic Hegelian ploy.

As for ISIS, the Russians and French are now allied. If the U.S. ever turns on them, then along with everybody else they've pi$$ed off, all we can do is play them a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-9AfdzMw5w
CHoff

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

So, Anonymous has declared war on ISIS. It's ironic that 72 virgins are now attacking the terrorists.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Choff,

That song is obviously not to be confused with "Mellow Yellow."

If we capture some, can we lock them up and make them listen to it? Or does the Geneva Convention prohibit that sort of torture? ;)

ISIL has managed to piss off 1 1/2 superpowers in the course of a couple of weeks. If the second superpower gets serious enough, and some of the regional countries with an influence in the arena pitch in, they could find themselves in a well-deserved world of hurt. Egypt ain't happy, and Lebanon ain't happy.

The Kurds and Yazidis are happy, but that's because they have a free hand to kill Daesh.

choff

Post by choff »

We could force them to listen to this song 24/7/365.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzo0iHrivVQ
CHoff

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

That could actually be WORSE than this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf9d7rSf_Ks

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

So, Anonymous has declared war on ISIS. It's ironic that 72 virgins are now attacking the terrorists.

I heard it differently.

"These are not the 72 virgins they were expecting. "
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

If intel agencies were using the channels that Anon is attacking for info the work of Anon may be counter productive.

That was always a problem in WW2 re: Enigma. If the enemy suspects you are reading their mail they change channels (codes). Even regular code changes caused problems.

And if you followed what the official folks said about Anon you will find some consternation at Anon's activity.

Stupid hackers.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Snowden did way more damage than ANYONE has, or probably will do.

There is a very strong argument that most of the blood of this year's attacks is on his hands more than anyone else's.
Although Obama's High Moral Horse Sanctimonious Lecturing is competing well with Snowden's traitorous niavety.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Long before Snowden hit the news I assumed that if you want to keep communications secret from the snoops you should use strong encryption. The revelation was the scope of indiscriminate snooping. Snowden could have handled the situation a lot better, been far more selective in what he leaked, and done a lot less collateral damage. But I still think Barrycade has a lot more blood on his hands.

I'm hearing stuff that suggests Anonymous may have not so great target selection. That some of their targets may not be guilty.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Yes it is true, they are not as smart as they are convinced they are. I think the term is Hubris.

In any event, Snowden has no control over what he took any more. It has been too long, and I am confident that interested parties have made copies and had sufficient time to crack whatever he had. These extremist assholes are not stupid, and have been rapidly changing practices since Snowden spilled the beans, thus confirming to some degree supposition and fear on their part just how good the powers that be are at finding and monitoring them.
I also don't think it has helped that the idiotic Obamabot administration keeps releasing factoids that clearly point to methods and capabilities post Snowden. Things like, "Oh we have comm intercepts that there was a bomb on that Russian flight from Egypt." a couple of days after it happened. Morons. They just made it harder for the next time.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I think encryption just attracts attention. Stenography is probably better. Best is code words or phrases that look like ordinary conversation.

There are also things you can do to figure out even encrypted messages without having to crack them. Traffic analysis for one.

Re: Snowden - the government got what it deserved. A dragnet vs targeted snooping. One of the problems with a dragnet is that it makes the haystack bigger. The collection agencies are not primarily about solving problems. They are in the main about empire building. For that a dragnet is better than targeted efforts.

The government got what it deserved.

The way to stop these terror boys is to cut off their funding. You know. Logistics. Who is selling their oil? Who insists that drugs get treated as a police problem rather than a medical problem? As to Ollie North. Kilos of what? North was CIA. Reagan and Iran Contra? The Humong in the 'Nam dust up. Hang Seng Bank? Which after paying a large fine for washing drug money is now legit? It is corruption top to bottom. Snowden didn't disclose the worst. Not even half.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

In addition the CIA drug business has outlived its usefulness. You can tell where they are operating by the American drug flows. Busy in Thailand? Thai sticks flood America. Busy in Afghanistan? We get heroin. Afghani Hashish would be easier on Americans but heroin is more $$ per kilo.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Diogenes wrote:
I heard it differently.
"These are not the 72 virgins they were expecting. "
You both AND ISIS mis-heard. Anonymous is based in Richmond VA, so these are the Virginians they were promised.