Mitt Romney Fails To Notice The Obvious

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Mitt Romney Fails To Notice The Obvious

Post by MSimon »

Mitt Romney slams Hillary Clinton's call for 'mass incarceration' to end

From the comments.
Mr. Talking Point, didn't check anything before he misspoke. From Wikipedia: "The United States has the HIGHEST documented incarceration rate in the world at 754 per 100,000 (as of 2009). A report released 28 February 2008, indicates that more than 1 in 100 adults in the United States are in prison. The United States has less than 5% of the world's population and 23% of the world's prison population. In addition to overall incarceration rates, the United States is also leading in rates of female incarceration."

Does anyone know how much the private prison industry has made in the last 10 years or so? And maybe the food people that provide the food for these private prisons made a little also.

The upswing has occurred starting about Reagan's term where private prisons suddenly became popular. And the increase in incarceration has still gone up, since 1993 when the murder rate was 9.5 per 100,000 people, and the violent crime rate was 746.8 per 100,000 people to 2013 where we have a murder rate of 4.5 murders per 100,000, and a violent crime rate of 367.9 per 100,000. So a steep rise of putting people behind bars WHILE THE CRIME RATE has been more than HALVED. Guess who gets to pay, and who makes money on these private prisons?

I suspect, but can't prove, that the increase in incarceration was used to deny many convicted and imprisoned blacks a right to vote, another way, other than gerrymandering, to eliminate anti Republican votes. Crime rates are from Disaster Center (an internet site), taken from the the FBI, internet site, Crime in the United States, data.

They are taking money away from US and giving it to them, while attacking the blacks and the poor. And they are using the criminals to make a buck, and shave off a lot of votes. Pretty good effort. And very religious.
Rand Paul has been talking about mass incarceration for quite some time. But Romney has no clue. Rand has also been discussing the racism of the drug war. Romney is even more clueless.

In 2012 I couldn’t stand Obama. And Romney was in some ways worse. I voted for the Libertarian. Not that it mattered. Except to me.

If the Republicans run another Prohibitionist in ’16 I’m voting Libertarian. Again.
http://classicalvalues.com/2015/05/clueless-republican/

"Look, we understood we couldn't make it illegal to be young or poor or black in the United States, but we could criminalize their common pleasure. We understood that drugs were not the health problem we were making them out to be, but it was such a perfect issue...that we couldn't resist it." - John Ehrlichman, White House counsel to President Nixon on the rationale of the War on Drugs.

"[Nixon] emphasized that you have to face the fact that the whole problem is really the blacks" Haldeman, his Chief of Staff wrote, "The key is to devise a system that recognizes this while not appearing to."
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.