"Birth tourists"?

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

"Birth tourists"?

Post by GIThruster »

"Babies born on American soil are automatically U.S. citizens. The so-called anchor baby is thus eligible for education, health and other benefits, and when 21 years old, can sponsor family members to legally immigrate to the U.S."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/us-agents-r ... 6?mod=e2fb
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Diogenes

Re: "Birth tourists"?

Post by Diogenes »

GIThruster wrote:"Babies born on American soil are automatically U.S. citizens. The so-called anchor baby is thus eligible for education, health and other benefits, and when 21 years old, can sponsor family members to legally immigrate to the U.S."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/us-agents-r ... 6?mod=e2fb

No kidding. Been pointing this out for the last 7 years to anyone who would listen.

People will never guess how we got such a stupid policy/interpretation of US Citizenship law. As near as I can tell, Patient Zero is a man named "William Rawle." There is more to this stupidity than meets the eye.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Yes well, I'm curious. On what basis can people doing this be stopped? I only scanned the piece but I don't see a cause for arrest. I don't like it, but in what sense would it be illegal?
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

GIThruster wrote:Yes well, I'm curious. On what basis can people doing this be stopped? I only scanned the piece but I don't see a cause for arrest. I don't like it, but in what sense would it be illegal?

Well that is exactly the problem. It isn't illegal. It should be. It was at one time.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

It must be some sort of illegal. They were raided by the feds and the piece says we're expecting this to be the biggest bust of this kind ever. So what charge was made against them? I know they mentioned tax evasion, but if that's all the law they broke, we can expect them to be right back at it very soon. And probably lots of other versions from other countries besides.

I confess I'm curious why China stands out here. What if there are operation like this from Yemen, and they pay their taxes. This is fifth column type stuff.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

GIThruster wrote:
I confess I'm curious why China stands out here. What if there are operation like this from Yemen, and they pay their taxes. This is fifth column type stuff.

The idea of letting someone be a citizen simply from being born here is nutso stupid. I believe it is the consequence of "good intentions" that have now come back to bite us in the @$$.

I don't blame other countries for taking advantage of our stupidity, I blame us for putting up with this nonsense.

But I don't see it ever getting fixed. The idea has become too ingrained in our various legal circles for it to ever be pried out again.
— Lord Melbourne —