And in every thread in this forum!

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

And in every thread in this forum!

Post by Diogenes »

It's like the Love that once dared not speak it's name is now the Love that will simply not shut up about it!
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Ivy Matt

Re: And in every thread in this forum!

Post by Ivy Matt »

Will not shut up about it in any thread in the General forum. There's that, at least.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

An attack of the loons there is no doubt.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Actually, I blame the Jews.

http://www.illuminating.us/
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

The attack was in a thread in the News forum. This thread is just commentary so far.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Ivy Matt wrote:The attack was in a thread in the News forum. This thread is just commentary so far.
Well it took me a while to get annoyed there. I expect Joe will come along and remove the marked comments. If Tom has notified him. I did take the liberty of marking at least one of my own.

But I think this commentary by AcesHigh says it all:
holy shit GIT... you can never stop going ad hominem uh??

you were just banned (again) from NASA SpaceFlight Forums for ad hominem attacks.

it´s a shame, because when you decide to post about the science, you are an invaluable member, here, at NSF, everywhere.

but when you decide to start attacking people, you are just like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory. A total lack of empathy, you offend people, say you are only stating the obvious, don´t see nothing wrong about it.

you DID bait MSimon into the drug issue, ONLY because he said he had some offers of $10 million for funding his projects. You started a crusade against him in this thread for something completely off-topic (legalization) BECAUSE YOU don´t believe what he said (in an educated way) about the offers.

Was it worth ruining this thread just because of that single MSimon post?
I never knew about GIT getting banned from NSF.

What is interesting is that GIT is SURE I have no capabilities in the realm under discussion because I favor ending Prohibition. I NEVER assume a man has no capabilities to do a given work just because my politics differ from his. That would be a self defeating way of dealing with the world.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

He is sure because he is a quixotic Believer.

That passion of his is as much of a blind spot as if he looked at nothing except via Perseus' mirror shield.. So pretty much everything is seen tinted. Ironically enough (or not really - that's what people do: perceive most readily in others their own rights and wrongs) the supposed virulence of MSimon's rhetoric is basically a mirror image of his own philosophical vehemence... Intolerance.

Even without the ad hominems, GIT was treading on thin ice because of the way he coerced discussion, in the latest Woodward/Mach Effect thread at NSF, into fundamental philosophical debate. With the ad hominems, passive aggression, etc, it was just begging for censorship by NSF's strict moderation. So you have someone who pretends to be ethically immaculate, yet repeatedly crashes out of discussion forums.

And it's not like he has no choice. People in these forums might be contentious and/or prejudiced, but in this text based medium they sure as hell are rational agents no matter how far out of left field their basis, how much cognitive bias. Ultimately everyone wants that: to be More Right, Less Wrong; even if they might not recognize correction as a means to that end. So he could (e.g.) apologize and move from there, to still get what he wants: less wrong, more rationality. By cropping his arguments down to bare rationality, without any of the condescension, it wouldn't matter at all how unexpected and/or eccentric would be his arguments and conclusions. But he doesn't.

Like repeatedly setting his hair on fire... At some point you'd think he'd know better. And it's a shame, a waste of time, because life is short and Mach Effect technology could "change the world".
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Betruger wrote:Even without the ad hominems, GIT was treading on thin ice because of the way he coerced discussion, in the latest Woodward/Mach Effect thread at NSF, into fundamental philosophical debate. With the ad hominems, passive aggression, etc, it was just begging for censorship by NSF's strict moderation. So you have someone who pretends to be ethically immaculate, yet repeatedly crashes out of discussion forums.

And it's not like he has no choice.
That is correct. I was very intentional about closing down that thread at NSF.

Just FYI to clear up some misinformation being spread here: the trouble over at NSF is not that it is strictly moderated. It is that it is moderated in ways such as to pander to very specific interests--those that generate income. It is and has always been an horrifically biased forum.

Second please note there was no discussion in the Woodward/Mach Effect thread at all. There has not been for several years. Betruger apparently has a very limited skills when it comes to reading for comprehension and has misreported the situation terribly. So take his observations with a grain of salt.

The discussion was in the EM Drive thread. I had two issues in my short time there. First was that there was this crazy nonsense "theory" which does not even qualify as a scientific theory where the author of the supposed theory has no credentials in physics apart from "geophysicist" and owns he has had no training in field theory. Yet he has this crackpot theory that both Einstein's Equivalence Principle and General Relativity are wrong and that the Principle of Conservation is wrong, and this guy has managed to unravel the mysteries of the universe and correct all this. I simply pointed out this guy is a crackpot and how we can know he is a crackpot. Chris warned me about this and I could not care less what Chris thinks. Chris does not care about the truth nor how to think through these issues clearly. He cares only about how to keep NSF generating real income.

Second was to cope with the question of Jack Sarfatti's comments on Amazon about Jim's book. That is why I closed the thread down. Sarfatti is toxic and it did not suit my purposes to allow the spread of his insults, so I merely used Chris to close the thread down. Dr. Rodal had already completed his analysis of the EM drive data's flaws and sent off his paper to JSC, and I forwarded it to the proper person at NASA, Dr. Dennis Bushnell; so there was no value added to have Jack's vitriol spread through yet another forum.

Easy as eattin' pie. What you're mistaking for a lack of common sense, is rather a complete lack of concern for image over outcome. I simply do not care if I seem harsh when I have a mission to accomplish. This is BTW, the attitude of any decent manager. Likewise with simon. None of you are doing this poor bastard any favors by pretending it doesn't matter how he has thrown his life away. The only person holding his feet to the fire is me. It's not that the rest of you are more self controlled. It's that the rest of you don't give a shit about simon and I do. Those of you who have been listening to simon's lies for years and said and done nothing about them, are enablers. I am merely laying down proper boundaries that when simon crosses them, he gets what he needs to grow up and out of his addictions. What he does with those boundaries are up to him. After all, he can just stop the bullshit and I won't be calling him a bullshitter anymore. Seems a simple fix to me. BTW, this is always and only the proper way to cope with drug addicts. Enabling them by pretending to believe the lies only makes matters worse and virtually everyone here is guilty of this. So glad you brought it up, Betruger. How about you grow a spine and stop making everything about your atheism? These issues have nothing to do with religion. They have to do with simple common sense.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: "Master, if you would just follow the code, you would be on the counsel."

Qui-Gon Jinn: "I will do what I must, Obi-Wan."
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Likewise with simon.
That is the nicest thing you have said about me in quite some time. And you are in fact correct.

Salut!

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

GIThruster wrote:Betruger apparently has a very limited skills when it comes to reading for comprehension a
Same political rhetoric as always.
None of you are doing this poor bastard any favors by pretending it doesn't matter how he has thrown his life away.
Two assumptions; one is wrong (first hand knowledge), the other probably is too (I doubt MSimon considers his life as thrown away). This is characteristic too: this pontificating, pretention to know better.
GIThruster wrote:please note there was no discussion in the Woodward/Mach Effect thread at all. There has not been for several years. Betruger apparently has a very limited skills when it comes to reading for comprehension and has misreported the situation terribly. So take his observations with a grain of salt.

The discussion was in the EM Drive thread.
The discussion of W/ME was in the EM thread, and there was so much of it that it got people asking for W/ME discussion to please be taken to the W/ME thread. Which you didn't. Because "you don't care".

Yes, people should take what I say with grain of salt. A truism. And in doing so they would see for themselves at NSF, this time and the previous time you got banned, that what happened is like I described.

You leave out in your conveniently self-serving description of Chris Bergin/NSF, that their website is expensive to run, and has a reputation to protect if nothing else for the sake of being so respected by e.g. SpaceX.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Betruger,

I consider one of my great accomplishments in life helping getting Polywell refunded. I expect that it can be made to work and I will be a small and unnoticed foot note in that development. None the less it tickles me.

And I'm not done yet.

As to my supposed bad habits precluding funding. Check out these VC folks.

Peter Thiel. He founded PayPal with Max Levchin and Elon Musk.
http://www.privateerholdings.com/press/

Those folks might actually be more inclined given my stance on a certain subject. There is a LOT of pre judice in the world. Sometimes it works in your favor. Sometimes it is against. "Never tell me the odds."

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Betruger wrote:This is characteristic too: this pontificating, pretention to know better.
I do know better. Someone who spends his days on the web, getting stoned and whining about something like prohibition, is not living up to his potential. If you cannot agree that people ought to work rather than live off the welfare state, especially when they are as bright and clever as simon, then there is no help for you in this discussion. What simon thinks about his life is irrelevant. Addicts always think wrongly about their lives. That's why they are addicts.

You want to chastise the guy who is saying the truth. What does that say about you? You want to pander to the poison thinking of an addict. What does that say about you? You need to stop with the whining, Betruger. You mischaracterized the conversations over at NSF, misstated the facts, and didn't even know where the conversation had happened or what the content was. So why are you posting on this issue at all? This is just more of your sick atheist bullshit. You need to knock that off. It isn't making you any points.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

MSimon- A vulgar way to contrast you and GIT would be that both can talk anything to death but only one does it with fingers in his ears.
GIT wrote:How about you grow a spine and stop making everything about your atheism? These issues have nothing to do with religion. They have to do with simple common sense.
1. My "atheism" is
1a A red herring - a debating habit of yours: you derailed conversation at NSF as you would here
1b Mistaken - I'm not atheist
2. Religion and philosophy as you entertain them are fundamental to your arguments and
2a due to your quasi obsession with keeping everything consistent, they spill into pretty much all arguments ("making everything about [whatever]") you perceive as straying from your philosophical margins of tolerance. Which is basically everything since it is all within the purview of "simple common sense".

You have no idea how much or little spine I have. FYI. What this is about is you having negative people skills and a bad case of quixotism, and refusing to admit it. It wouldn't matter except, as you admit so proudly yourself, you're "involved". Pretty much everyone else, when it matters, keeps it in their pants. Why can't you? You got banned from NSF twice. Joe Strout himself had to come down and clean things up here too. ... Is there a pattern? There is just no end to your bombast about how everyone is somehow tainted with atheism or whatever other "pathology". It must really suck to be you - and that's a neutral take on it.
your sick atheist bullshit.
?? LOL!
That black cloud over your head is bad; but really the issue is that you can't help but insist others sit under it too, and do it without umbrella.
GIThruster wrote:
Betruger wrote:This is characteristic too: this pontificating, pretention to know better.
I do know better. Someone who spends his days on the web, getting stoned and whining about something like prohibition, is not living up to his potential. If you cannot agree that people ought to work rather than live off the welfare state, especially when they are as bright and clever as simon, then there is no help for you in this discussion. What simon thinks about his life is irrelevant. Addicts always think wrongly about their lives. That's why they are addicts.

You want to chastise the guy who is saying the truth. What does that say about you? You want to pander to the poison thinking of an addict. What does that say about you? You need to stop with the whining, Betruger. You mischaracterized the conversations over at NSF, misstated the facts, and didn't even know where the conversation had happened or what the content was. So why are you posting on this issue at all? This is just more of your sick atheist bullshit. You need to knock that off. It isn't making you any points.
This is your delusion, your straw man. MSimon is harmless. No one was "perverted" by reading his rhetoric.

You want to chastise the guy who is saying the truth. What does that say about you? You want to pander to the poison thinking of an addict. What does that say about you? You need to stop with the whining, Betruger.
I'm not going to name names, but I have met and worked with a lot of people in different labs from up and down the hierarchy, and outside of labs a lot of people from many countries. Not just as tourist. Arguably going as far back as birth - as a foreigner at birth from parents from two continents culturally as far apart as the oceans between them. So, I've got a large statistical basis.

The subset of people I've known as more than acquaintances, that are "difficult", is a small fraction. Even in that fraction you are not even on the scale. But hey... It's not you, it's everyone else. They're all pathological.

--

It occurs to me. Maybe... Secretly, you envy people like MSimon's natural, and/or artificial, peaceful composure.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Betruger,

If I was going to make a diagnosis from afar - anger issues, former heavy drug use, inability to comprehend another's point of view, etc. I'd say it pointed to severe PTSD. I knew another person once who had severe PTSD and who used anger to keep "addiction" at bay.

We get taught some very crazy things in America - like "drugs cause addiction". I have never seen that. What I have seen is underlying severe pain and when you can't find a physical cause you almost invariably find PTSD at the root.

The reason people think that drugs incapacitate people is that they know nothing of the person's life and can only see what is exposed to them. PTSD incapacitates people. Drugs only relieve the pain of that. They do not clear up the incapacitation.

"People in chronic pain chronically take pain relievers" makes a lot more sense than drugs cause addiction. If drugs did cause addiction everyone who tries them would be addicted. And that is obviously not the case. The Navy injected me with morphine for an injury. And yet - despite how well it made me feel - I have no interest in opiates.

Dr. Lonny Shavelson found that 70% of female heroin addicts had been sexually abused in childhood. That is a clue. And yet not every sexually abused girl is a heroin addict. You need - not only the trauma - but also the genetics.

Ah. Well. It will all be lost on G. Anger clouds his brain. Which for him is a desired effect.

======================

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

==

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” - Yoda.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Well I'm sure you both feel very clever, but none of this changes a thing. Simon is an addict who routinely tells bullshit stories, such as "oh, I had 6 people offer me money, waved it in front of me, 3 of them tried to get me to take $10M each" and those stories treat everyone here with contempt. Worse still, simon probably convinces himself to believe those stories.

I have no reason to pretend to believe those stories, so when I see them in print, I will continue to say "bullshit" and remind simon that someone who cannot hold a job, does not belong giving anyone life advise.