The Magician's Twin:C.S.Lewis and the Case against Scientism

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

The Magician's Twin:C.S.Lewis and the Case against Scientism

Post by GIThruster »

Really good explanation of the concerns about "scientism" or one form of pathological science--how science can go wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPeyJvX ... redirect=1
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

choff

Re: The Magician's Twin:C.S.Lewis and the Case against Scien

Post by choff »

Read 'That Hideous Strength', they actually have a government branch called N.I.C.E. in England now, life imitating art.
CHoff

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Very nice.... I liked it a lot. It hits at the core of the divine rights of Progs to rule over the unwashed and unqualified. Explains the left's infatuation with CAGW and attack on the denialists and demand for science consensus rule.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

choff wrote:Read 'That Hideous Strength', they actually have a government branch called N.I.C.E. in England now, life imitating art.
Most don't realize much of what Lewis put into That Hideous Strength was fact rather than fiction. He was relating his experiences during his time as professor at Cambridge. I believe it was Cambridge. Either he was first at Cambridge and then at Oxford or the reverse, and he wrote THS while at the second about the first.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Teahive

Post by Teahive »

Ignoring the horrible musical interludes, I think the video makes some really good points (and some bad ones, when it brings up specific scientific theories). Science can only describe, it's not equipped to prescribe nor to proscribe.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

(and some bad ones, when it brings up specific scientific theories)
Progressives would like us to forget their past fondness for Eugenics, after all, their scientific heart was in the right place.

choff

Post by choff »

I think it was C.S. Lewis and George Orwell who both died same day as Kennedy.
CHoff

Teahive

Post by Teahive »

mvanwink5 wrote:
(and some bad ones, when it brings up specific scientific theories)
Progressives would like us to forget their past fondness for Eugenics, after all, their scientific heart was in the right place.
I just can't see any relation between what you wrote and what you quoted.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Really!? :D

Teahive

Post by Teahive »

mvanwink5 wrote:Really!? :D
Yes, really! :D

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Just my typical rant. I go off from time to time (in case you noticed :roll: ). Very few (except trolls) buy into the crazy Eugenics theory anymore, just one of those periods where even really smart people went off the beam.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

choff wrote:I think it was C.S. Lewis and George Orwell who both died same day as Kennedy.
It was Lewis, Kennedy and Aldous Huxley, the writer of Brave New World. The philosopher Peter Kreeft has an excellent little book that is a take off of Lewis' The Great Divorce, which relates the conversation between Kennedy, Lewis and Huxley as they wait together for their judgement, in Between Heaven and Hell. Great book.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

"West noted that Lewis mocked the gullibility of his Oxford colleagues in That Hideous Strength when one of the characters claimed it was difficult to fool the working class because they assume that what they read from elites is propaganda, "But the educated public, the people who read the highbrow weeklies, don't need reconditioning. They're all right already. They'll believe anything."

http://www.christianpost.com/news/c-s-l ... ce-128028/

"He also pointed to the authoritarian tendicies of some scientists. British scientist James Lovelock said, "it may be necessary to put democracy on hold for a while" to address global warming. Evolutionary zoologist Eric Pianka argued for reducing the world's human population by 90 percent by giving government the power to confiscate all the property of couples who have more than two children. And evolutionary biologist Daniel Lieberman advocated giving government the authority to control everyone's diet because "we have evolved to need coercion.""