How to defeat ISIL

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Re: How to defeat ISIL

Post by MSimon »

drug war militarization of police
https://www.google.com/#q=drug+war+mili ... +of+police

1.8 million results. I notice there is a book on it. Our newspaper quoted the book in an article on Ferguson.

Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces by Radley Balko

Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces

=======

And how about that Mel Sembler - quite a guy eh? I'm sure you are proud having him as a Republican leading light.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/sunda ... forces.ece

In his book The Rise of the Warrior Cop, journalist Radley Balko notes that since the 1960s, “law-enforcement agencies across the U.S., at every level of government, have been blurring the line between police officer and soldier. Driven by martial rhetoric and the availability of military-style equipment — from bayonets and M–16 rifles to armored personnel carriers — American police forces have often adopted a mind-set previously reserved for the battlefield.”

This process ramped up with the “war on drugs” in the 1980s and 1990s, as the federal government supplied local and state police forces with military-grade weaponry to clamp down on drug trafficking and other crime. And it accelerated again after the 9/11 attacks and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, when the federal government had — and sent — billions in surplus military equipment to state and local governments.
Don't you wish you were paying attention? Probably not.

WAR on Drugs. See how it started?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/police ... dley-balko

There's certainly a lot of overlap between the war on drugs and police militarization. But if we go back to the late 1960s and early 1970s, there were two trends developing simultaneously. The first was the development and spread of SWAT teams. Darryl Gates started the first SWAT team in L.A. in 1969. By 1975, there were 500 of them across the country. They were largely a reaction to riots, violent protest groups like the Black Panthers and Symbionese Liberation Army, and a couple mass shooting incidents, like the Texas clock tower massacre in 1966.

At the same time, Nixon was declaring an "all-out war on drugs." He was pushing policies like the no-knock raid, dehumanizing drug users and dealers, and sending federal agents to storm private homes on raids that were really more about headlines and photo-ops than diminishing the supply of illicit drugs.
Had enough? Well I have.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The before picture:

http://www.mdjonline.com/view/full_stor ... -warrants-

No knock warrant? Isn't that what police states do?

The after picture of the baby "Boo Boo" is too ugly to post. But put the below link in your browser. It will show up well enough.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... ZGgKJsDgNt

How's the war going buddy? You winning?

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

MSimon wrote: Obama has no honor. If he had any we would never have left Iraq.
And pay billions for the occupation for all eternity? If you have not noticed, the US was in a really bad financial crisis because of the cost of the wars. Besides the plan to leave Iraq in 2012 was already signed under Bush.
MSimon wrote: We should never have gone after Assad. And I blame Republicans for that one as much as Obama - didn't any one know that he was all that stood between Christians and genocide in the area?
We have the stupidest political class we have ever had.
I agree with you on that one. That was really dumb and another example in a long line of failed US foreign politics. The US has been traditionally really bad in choosing their friends and foes.
And for the record, the situation in Iraq is exactly in line with what I predicted years ago. We should never have gone there in the first place.

Either way, it seems like Obama is sending a lot of troops into the area now and the US military is actively helping protect some of the religious minorities that are currently getting hit hard by IS(IS).
I have been extremely disgusted by the decapitation of the US journalist. They wanted 135 million ransom. These people are nothing but barbaric, criminal thugs. Someone suggested a kickstarter to finance a bounty on the murderers. Maybe just for information about their identity (with proof). So that the government can capture them. Personally, I would have asked for their capture, dead or alive, but unfortunately that is not legal (or so I am told... how that's fair I don't know). Would have made quite a media splash though, that's for sure ;)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

And pay billions for the occupation for all eternity?
The alternative is what we have now. Paying billions for not occupation. And a worse situation on the ground.

America (with the connivance of the victors) packed up and went home post WW1. We made the same mistake in Iraq for the same reason. "Not our interest." "It costs too much."

Well the costs are not going to go down for a while.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Skipjack wrote:
MSimon wrote: Obama has no honor. If he had any we would never have left Iraq.
And pay billions for the occupation for all eternity?
Occupation is very cheap. Nations with a clue house the bulk of their troops overseas anyway because this is safer. They are after all trained to kill. The real expense is in transport and once its accomplished, war does not cost a lot more than peace.

You keep saying Bush signed the agreement for us to leave but I don't recall that at all. You have a source?
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

GIThruster wrote:Like I said, suffering those paranoid delusions again.

But this has nothing to do with Ferguson.

All evidence is this is one guy who was hyped up from a call, tried to get out of his car and the kids he opened his car door into slammed it back closed on him. He grabbed the closest kid and started roughing him up through the window and when the kid didn't comply, he shot him. Then the kid ran and he shot him again and again. Finally the kid stopped and put his hands in the air to surrender, and he shot him until he was dead--six shots.

This was an execution. It has nothing to do with the police in general, nor with drugs except unless the kid was tanked up and this was a mediate cause of the conflict. That possibility is very large since it does tend to make people act all crazy.
Your facts current do not fit any theory of the medical examiners report just released by a FOIA report. It is a representation of the story of one witness that can not be named. It also does not match other reports of witness on the site.(but they were police officers so we do not know if a blue wall exist with them but their version does match the medical report better than what is being reported.) My question is why is the DOJ not releasing videos and statements that support the officer??? why did the DOJ hold the video of the young man doing a strong arm robbery from the press?
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

GIThruster wrote: Occupation is very cheap.
Sure... We all saw how cheap it was and how it did not cost hundreds of billions... We all saw that.
GIThruster wrote: You keep saying Bush signed the agreement for us to leave but I don't recall that at all. You have a source?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S.%E2%80 ... _Agreement
The U.S.–Iraq Status of Forces Agreement (official name: Agreement Between the United States of America and the Republic of Iraq On the Withdrawal of United States Forces from Iraq and the Organization of Their Activities during Their Temporary Presence in Iraq) was a status of forces agreement (SOFA) between Iraq and the United States, signed by President George W. Bush in 2008. It established that U.S. combat forces would withdraw from Iraqi cities by June 30, 2009, and all U.S. forces will be completely out of Iraq by December 31, 2011.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

My question is why is the DOJ not releasing videos and statements that support the officer??? why did the DOJ hold the video of the young man doing a strong arm robbery from the press?
The only thing I saw in that video was him attacking a customer. There is NO evidence of a robbery. There is evidence of him reaching across the counter. So did he pay and then get upset?

The store owner did not call in a robbery.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

GIThruster wrote:Like I said, suffering those paranoid delusions again.

But this has nothing to do with Ferguson.

All evidence is this is one guy who was hyped up from a call, tried to get out of his car and the kids he opened his car door into slammed it back closed on him. He grabbed the closest kid and started roughing him up through the window and when the kid didn't comply, he shot him. Then the kid ran and he shot him again and again. Finally the kid stopped and put his hands in the air to surrender, and he shot him until he was dead--six shots.

This was an execution.
You and I agree. There has been a disruption in the force.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

MSimon wrote:
My question is why is the DOJ not releasing videos and statements that support the officer??? why did the DOJ hold the video of the young man doing a strong arm robbery from the press?
The only thing I saw in that video was him attacking a customer. There is NO evidence of a robbery. There is evidence of him reaching across the counter. So did he pay and then get upset?

The store owner did not call in a robbery.
There was an early report that the cigars were found on him, and I believe the store owner did call it in because the officer was already looking for the purp. Certainly someone called it in.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack wrote: And pay billions for the occupation for all eternity? If you have not noticed, the US was in a really bad financial crisis because of the cost of the wars. Besides the plan to leave Iraq in 2012 was already signed under Bush.

When I hear you talking about the 100 trillion dollar Social Security mess which is falling on us, I might start taking you seriously about your concerns for other money spent.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:The before picture:

Still waving the bloody shirtI see.

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —