The Widening Divisions

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

paperburn1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Widening Divisions

Postby paperburn1 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:13 am

A good example would be the old guard democrats of the early 1900s, they were racist bigots to the 9 degree.
when LBJ made steps to open the party to the African origin american then that's when the party started to take strides to equality for all men. He realized this step was necessary change to embrace if is political party was to survive the decade.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

williatw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby williatw » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:14 am

Last edited by williatw on Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

williatw

Postby williatw » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:24 am

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:04 am

Just FYI there are TWO deaths directly connected to Marijuana consumption .
Apr 18, 2014 - DENVER - This week, two Denver deaths were linked to marijuana use, and while some details of the deaths have yet to emerge...
Last edited by paperburn1 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:09 am

Alas , Never mind, I lack the prose and ability to properly express myself in the written word on this subject.
Social forces refers to the influence of the society as a whole has on the behavior of individuals.

williatw

Postby williatw » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:35 am

williatw

Postby williatw » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:57 am

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:38 am

The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Betruger

Postby Betruger » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:25 am

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:53 am

Lots of things get ripped from the system and death is evolution's assistant.

And in fact with 50%+1 votes - politics is nothing but a ripping.

It was Teddy Roosevelt with his "Walk softly and carry a big stick" that set us on the wrong path. We forgot the "walk softly" part and have come to the general conclusion that you can get what ever you want with a big enough stick.

Politics is nothing but tipping points. Less of it would allow more room for evolution. The general idea that "we must stop this or stop that" (aside from simple rules that are universal and understood by a two year old - "mine, mine, mine" and "don't hurt me") has gone insane. It holds back evolution.

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:14 am

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:14 am

The best example of social force would be the Holocaust.
The Holocaust was a social force in that people had to choose whether to take a stand and resist what the Nazis were doing or whether they chose to simply be a bystander and remain safe.
When the Nazis were spouting antisemitic rhetoric, individuals believed them. Some individuals chose to discriminate against Jews when they might not have had they not heard what the government said about the Jews. but just because of what they has heard second hand and not experienced.
Another good example would be our president, even 30 years ago this would have not happened or even been considered as a viable option for running someone of color for president.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:19 am

If we use Simon's definition of death caused by, then you would have to lower the DIRECT death to .1 per 100,000 rather than the 27 per 100,00 quoted in the articles.

Lies, darn lies, and Statistics "Mark Twain"

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:57 pm

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:09 pm

I will try and find it again, was from the CDC
Overall, the median death rate due to alcohol-related causes was about 28.5 per 100,000 people, after adjusting for the age of victims.
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... story.html

Better source
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/822014

Return to “General”