Back When It Was Over The Counter

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Back When It Was Over The Counter

Post by MSimon »

BTW the image has gone viral.

http://classicalvalues.com/2014/01/midd ... ock-value/

The comments are good too.

Back when the Federal Government had no control over the practice of medicine:

http://classicalvalues.com/2013/04/what ... ted-power/

Way to go my "limited government" Constitutionalist friends.

ObamaCare is a direct result of allowing Federal Drug Prohibition. Raich was cited 6 times in the decision allowing ObamaCare. That is what you get for supporting Progressive ideas. More Progressive intrusions. Ah. Well.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ohiovr

Re: Back When It Was Over The Counter

Post by ohiovr »

Was so cool when I could by chloroform over the counter.. ah the memories...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ohiovr wrote:Was so cool when I could by chloroform over the counter.. ah the memories...
Too bad you can still get knives over the counter, eh?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:
ohiovr wrote:Was so cool when I could by chloroform over the counter.. ah the memories...
And gasoline!

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

oh for the days when I could get medicene over the counter like
Norodin (a brand name for Meth)
Heroin, which was developed in 1874 as a substitute for Morphine, was used as a cough suppressant.
MDMA the glory days of legal Ecstasy use.
GHB, also known as the date-rape drug and “Roofies"
LSD or acid
Cocaine came about in the 1860s and enjoyed legality until 1914
Poppy seed, smoking Opium It was given to women to fight menstrual cramps and, goodness gracious, given to crying babies to… you know… shut them up.
Mescaline, also known as Peyote
Hallucinogenic mushrooms
Ahh yes those were the days
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

paperburn1 wrote:oh for the days when I could get medicene over the counter like
Heroin, which was developed in 1874 as a substitute for Morphine, was used as a cough suppressant.
LSD or acid
Poppy seed, smoking Opium It was given to women to fight menstrual cramps and, goodness gracious, given to crying babies to… you know… shut them up.
Hallucinogenic mushrooms
Well you can still get them quite readily under the counter (so to speak) so the supply chain still works.

Some people have a strange way of thinking. They get confused by words. They think "prohibited" means unavailable. Which it does not. It means "distributed by criminals". Now why they prefer "distributed by criminals" with all its problems (like dose, purity, sales to anyone etc.) is an oddity. But there you have it. Maybe they have criminals in the family that need the support. Or perhaps they are related to bankers who get quite a rake off on black market transactions (up to 30% - possibly more).

The black market may be all that is keeping our current banking system alive. See Catherine Austin Fitts - HUD Secty under Bush 1 - for more on the subject. Disclosure - she and I have corresponded.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

And the point you so easily glossed over, Just because it was legal did not make it right.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ohiovr

Post by ohiovr »

KitemanSA wrote:
MSimon wrote:
And gasoline!
I think that if the automobile had been invented in this day and age the government would move to ban it quickly because we can't have grown adults driving 2 ton steel death boxes. Think of the children! That and gasoline is flammable and causes cancer! Not only that but think of the desert tortoises crossing the road!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

And god forbid someone would think to use a car as a weapon.

BAN ALL CARS NOW!

Simon,
When will you learn it is not the thing, it is what the person does with it and what it does to them.
You can choose to drive a car into a bus stop of fourth graders, the car can not choose for itself.
The issue with these substances that YOU refuse to recognise is that THEY choose for YOU once you start taking them. They will eventually choose to drive you into the the proverbial bus stop.
Like I said before. I can turn anyone into a junky. All it takes is drugs and a little time. Getting them to stop being a junky is pretty hard, and has extrememly high failure rates. Another thing you ignore.

This is why drugs are analyzed to see if they are dangerous. If they are dangerous, they are controlled.

Grow up.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ohiovr

Post by ohiovr »

paperburn1 wrote:And the point you so easily glossed over, Just because it was legal did not make it right.
Cocaine in soft drinks was a lot of fun I'm sure... :D

ohiovr

Post by ohiovr »

ohiovr wrote:
paperburn1 wrote:And the point you so easily glossed over, Just because it was legal did not make it right.
Cocaine in soft drinks was a lot of fun I'm sure... :D
Or the dozens of cure all elixirs that had lots of cocaine and alcohol in them..

They didn't cure you but they made you feel top notch :D

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

So my Constitution loving friends. Where is the Drug Prohibition Amendment giving the Feds authority in this area?

Ah. So your adherence to the Constitution is partial? I thought so.

ohiovr

Post by ohiovr »

MSimon wrote:So my Constitution loving friends. Where is the Drug Prohibition Amendment giving the Feds authority in this area?

Ah. So your adherence to the Constitution is partial? I thought so.
I don't have a problem with making certain drugs legal. It would be nice if there was an agency we could trust with real studies concerning real health effects. If tobacco were illegal the're be people smoking it for medical reasons too :D

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:
paperburn1 wrote:oh for the days when I could get medicene over the counter like
LSD or acid
Hallucinogenic mushrooms
Well you can still get them quite readily under the counter (so to speak) so the supply chain still works.

Some people have a strange way of thinking. They get confused by words. They think "prohibited" means unavailable. Which it does not. It means "distributed by criminals". Now why they prefer "distributed by criminals" with all its problems (like dose, purity, sales to anyone etc.) is an oddity.

Not at all. Being distributed by criminals puts an upper limit on available supply. (That is, if the government is doing it's job.) Being distributed legally eliminates the limitations on supply, and creates a positive feedback loop for a saturation condition.

We have 2% of the population indulging themselves in drugs. We do NOT have 50% of the population indulging themselves in drugs. This is the consequence of Interdiction, a societal supporting timber which you are so intent on sawing through.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:So my Constitution loving friends. Where is the Drug Prohibition Amendment giving the Feds authority in this area?
Section 8: Clause 1.

"1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

MSimon wrote: Ah. So your adherence to the Constitution is partial? I thought so.

False premise. No, it is your understanding of the constitutional principles involved that is faulty. Drugs are an existential threat.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —