Article: 60% of oil price is speculation

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

MSimon wrote:The parties no longer represent the electorate.
The parties took economics off the plate of issues by 1978. They've both been whores to Wall Street ever since. Tho current events may end that status quo. That left only social matters for the population to pick and choose on.
MSimon wrote:I blame the base. The base has done a piss poor job of selling their ideals.
The base are the center right social conservatives. The GOP has been using and humoring them for 30 years, but the party machine does little more than throw bones to them. The odd strict constructionist judge. Which does not mean Christian conservative judge.

Which has been a disaster for the GOP since 2005, since the ground level organization for the GOP was all run by the base. PO them and the organization below the RNC ceases to exist. And has largely done so. Donation pleas by the RNC have gone unanswered to a spectacular degree.
MSimon wrote:However, I can tell you the root cause of that. They are confused. They thought that being strong on defense and economical government required a religious basis.
Different factions.

The religious conservatives wanted social stability. An end to the revolution of '68 and some rollback.

The Libertarians want SMALL government. And are all in favor of libertine social policy.

The Wall Streeters and Libertarians want ever lower taxes. The Wall Streeters want zilch financial regulation and feel good save the world social policy.

Neocons (ex Trotskyites) and various fragments of the other factions are national security conservatives.

The Reagan Coalition GOP was designed to win the Cold War. Its member factions were very poorly matched in most other ways. After 1990 the question was when would that coalition come apart, not if.
MSimon wrote:The Terry Schiavo debacle is where they first started going wrong.
End the revolution social conservatism is more than the Christian coalition. Blue Collar hereditary Dems, Blacks (one of the most militantly anti-homosexual groups in the country), some others.

A human dignity arument could've been made in the Schiavo case. Once you move from killing fetuses to killing living mature humans who were once fully functional, matters start becoming very iffy. Europe has already taken the next step (the Groningen Protocols) and is quickly moving toward the functional equivalent of the T4 Program. A dying continent killing even its dysfunctional children says something. And the Dem Social Left all want to be Euro Social Democrats.

There were questions about the husband's motivations, the parents were willing to absorb all costs, and the Federal Judiciary defied the plain intent of Congressional law, which is particularly scary. The Schiavo case was bad all around.
MSimon wrote:Yahoos like the preacher who ran in the Republican primaries may be popular with the base, but they will never sell in a nationwide election.
Huckabee? The man stuck his foot in his mouth recently, but is a killer orator with a first rate sense of humor. In different circumstances he could have been a very effective candidate.

Socially the country has been mildly center-left since the 1930s. The difference is that the Dems moved uber-Left after '68, making the Christian GOP social conservatives more attractive than the Hollywood avant garde social liberals. The country is not opposed to honest religiousness, just to 700 Club extremists. And besides his ordination, the rest of Huckabee's record is very centrist to liberal.
MSimon wrote:The '04 Illinois Senate election debacle should have wised up the base. Leave religion out of politics. Stick to common principles. In fact I voted for the communist over the religious nutter. I knew what I was doing.

Shrub's greatest enduring achievement will be moving the country effectively to the Left. Best since Hoover for doing that, and the GOP's current insistence on "market solutions" to the various market meltdowns is only doing it all the more.

The 40-40-20 country we had in 2000 (conservative - centrist - liberal) is now more like 35-30-35, with the centrist 30 leaning left.

Tho in 2000 the parties were 50-50 in identification. 40-10 conservative - centrist for the GOP, 20-30 liberal - centrist for the Dems. The centrists were not reliable bases for the parties. Meant the GOP only needed 11/40 of the center to win, whereas the Dems needed 31/40.

Shrub killed that. Well done. Idiot.
MSimon wrote:The way to solve the border problem is to make it easier for people to come and go from this country. Right now we have a one way valve. Is the base listening? Nope. Ultimately (if we survive for another 100 years) North America will be one big open border area. It is inevitable. The only viable choke point is the Isthmus. In the mean time instead of holding back integration we need to figure out how to best accomplish it. Instead of the haphazard way we are doing it now.
NOT what the people want, and the population is tired of being lied to. There have been too many bait and switch lies for the politicians to be believed on this anymore.

Regardless of the press hype, pro-immigration enforcement crosses the aisle. Blacks, Hereditary Dems & Blue Dogs are all on the same page with the national security and social conservative GOPhers on this one.

The medium term solution is fairly clear. Crack down on the employers and starve the social programs. No work + no support and the illegals auto- deport themselves. Long term you may be right about cultural homogenization in North America, but the trend for the next 40 years is not in that direction.
MSimon wrote:The base can't abide that. They can't be patient and work to move the electorate in their direction (if they only knew how). The base is out of air speed and out of ideas. Why? They no longer appeal to the basically libertarian (leave us alone) middle. When a certain RR was running for office they knew how to do that. When a newt presented his plan they knew what to do. Have you seen his current plan? Thinner than water soup.
"End the Revolution of '68 & respect traditional social institutions" social conservatism remains widely popular, but is divided between both parties, whose respective leaderships have zilch interest in acting on it. The one adaptation IMO will be an acceptance of monogamous gay marriage. GenY is going strongly for that, but is traditionalist in other ways.

The GOP will either rebuild in the next 10 years to a new model of factions, or the US again becomes a 1.5 party country on the 1930-1990 model.
MSimon wrote:The American public IMO is not tired. The parties are.
The inherent contradictions of the two parties are becoming clear to the people. Patience with the eternal fobbing off by the party leaderships is very close to an end. And the refusal of the parties to put economic policy on the political table is about to implode.

The GOP is further along the road of disintegration, but IMO the reign of Jimmah 2 (POTUS Obama) and the immanent move of Wall Street over to the Dems, where they're more socially comfortable, may well do that to the Dems as well. The ground is ready for a realignment.
MSimon wrote:Well, if the current trajectories continue we will have a nuke war with Iran. That should sober everyone up. My hope is that the Decider will take matters into his own hands and do the right thing. He will have 80 days. Better a war that Americans hate than a nuke conflagration. YMMV.
Depends. Do the Mullahs want power, or do they want to usher in the coming of the 12th Imam from Occultation? If power, the Ahmadinejad problem is solved with one 9mm slug to the base of the neck. So long as the Mullahs are marginally sane, Israel may be willing to live with a MAD balance of power. It semi-works on the Indian subcontinent, and advancing Missile Defense makes it increasingly viable as there is no direct land border between the two.

Duane
Vae Victis

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The Shiavo case screwed the Rs because they took it up not as a general issue. They took it up as an individual issue. From what I could tell she had no conscious brain function. Just a reflexive brain stem. And that was the ruling and the husband according to State law had senior standing.

Maybe the issue was decided wrongly in the State. None the less it was a State issue. Making a Federal case out of it was nuts. As to the social conservative candidate in the recent R primaries. He was quite a lefty. Which was in effect selling out conservative principles for "some one like me". As I have said. The base has lost its way.

Fortunately the Ds are no better off. The guy winning the nomination is the "some one like me" candidate. The lady is also the "some one like me" candidate. Just as the R base is unhappy the "some ones like me" in the D party are unhappy. No matter who wins. A certain VP candidate of days gone by has said she may vote for the other party.

Now as to rolling back '68. Not going to happen. That was 40 years ago and most Americans have grown used to it. Leave us alone and quit screwing with the economy is all the conservatives have left as a common denominator. And screwing with Wall Street is not going to be popular with the 50% of Americans who own stock in their 401K plans.

If I wanted to throw a winning bombshell into the election I would come out in favor of med-pot. It has 70% to 80% approval rating and might swing California. With the high cost of medicine an anti-tumor, anti-PSD, anti-depressant that you could grow in your back yard might have a lot of appeal. Plus it is traditional (in the US pharmacopoeia until outlawed in '37). Not to mention hemp sails. And hemp oil. And it still grows wild in the Midwest. And why was it outlawed? Racism pure and simple. Mexicans used it and in 1937 Mexican labor was seen as a problem (remind you of anything going on these days)? Well this is America. You can't make laws against Mexicans. What to do? Attack a part of their culture that whites didn't indulge in (then).

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/History/whiteb1.htm

And then there is this Hank Williams Jr song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4s0nzsU1Wg

With the lines - "We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too" about 1:13 in.

The culture war is over. Leave us alone has won. Out of our wallets. Out of our business. Out of our bedrooms.

The party that figures that out is going to win elections for decades. The R base used to know that. Instead the base wanted a "just like us" candidate. Idiots. And every one but them knows it.

Their (Rs) big mistake is in writing the Ron Paul sentiment (the candidate is scum) out of the party. If they pandered to "leave us alone" they could rebuild a winning coalition out of that.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
And you know there are thousands more quotes like that from the Founders. What a platform that would make.

Add in the Jacksonian virtue of winning wars (Lieberman Democrats) and you could steam roller every D who came down the pike.

The proof of that is in the culture change that has come over America re: gun rights. Thirty nine states have shall issue. Eight more have may issue. What states are out of step - Illinois and Wisconsin.

=========

darn - I wish we had some hot physics to discuss. We have about worked that to death until we get some reports from WB-7. At this point all we have is informed speculation.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

As long as we are talking politics may I suggest this post on John McCain and Polywell from August of 2007.

viewtopic.php?t=93&highlight=mccain1

So we have come back to fusion after all.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

drmike

Post by drmike »

djolds1 wrote:Shrub killed that. Well done. Idiot.
That sums up my view really well!
:D

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

drmike wrote:
Congress had more to do with killing the party than Bush did.

Can either of you gentlemen tell me what Congressional Republicans stand for? Beside "Bridges to No Where"? Bush's mistake of course was party loyalty. He gave the R Congress what it wanted.

In fact can any of you tell me what the Republicans running for Congress in this cycle stand for?

Sauve qui peut? Quite a platform they have. A real winner.

I'm a firm believer in "we get the government we deserve". What is the Republican vision? I don't see one. Pork? Fine with the Ds. They can buy R votes with our money.

drmike

Post by drmike »

My perspective is that they all marched lock step together for 7 years. Reminds me of a line in a play I saw when I was a kid about the American Revolution. "Gentlemen! We should all hang together in this or we shall certainly all hang separately!" When they were up, they hung together, now they are down, they seem to want to hang separately.

When Bush jr. got elected the first time I told my wife the only good thing to come from it would be the destruction of the republican party. Sometimes I get lucky and call it right.

I don't think blame is the right thought process. The point of democracy is that a society learns from its mistakes the hard way. And it either accepts the mistake, or it dies. The majority of the people put these guys in power. It remains to be seen if the US society has learned anything from the past few years or not.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

drmike wrote:

Is that coming from a Left or Right viewpoint, sir? :)

Duane
Vae Victis

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

MSimon wrote:The Shiavo case screwed the Rs because they took it up not as a general issue. They took it up as an individual issue. From what I could tell she had no conscious brain function. Just a reflexive brain stem. And that was the ruling and the husband according to State law had senior standing.
True. Incompetently handled & framed, and picked up as an issue very late in the game.
MSimon wrote:Maybe the issue was decided wrongly in the State. None the less it was a State issue. Making a Federal case out of it was nuts.

True, but also irrelevant. Ever since the Commerce Clause was "stretched" there have been few to no effective limits on the scope of Federal power. Nearly 80 years now. Four generations.

Congress gave instructions to the courts, which is within Congress' power, and the courts defied the clear intent of that directive. That should be deeply concerning.
MSimon wrote:As to the social conservative candidate in the recent R primaries. He was quite a lefty. Which was in effect selling out conservative principles for "some one like me". As I have said. The base has lost its way.

Just the opposite. The party has sold out the base so many times that the base has withdrawn its allegiance and is considering its options. Most likely is a realignment of factions, Wall Street and perhaps the Libertarians going over to the Dems. If smart the remnant GOP will then reorganize around a populist/Main Street economics platform with a moderated social conservative position. There will be a counter-exodus 18-36 months later as centrist & social conservative Dems will no longer be able to stomach a party of the plutocratic elite.
MSimon wrote:Fortunately the Ds are no better off. The guy winning the nomination is the "some one like me" candidate. The lady is also the "some one like me" candidate. Just as the R base is unhappy the "some ones like me" in the D party are unhappy. No matter who wins. A certain VP candidate of days gone by has said she may vote for the other party.

Obama is a Dream Given form, two million five hundred thousand tonnes of spinning metal...

He is the dream Lefty not seen since RFK. They hope he will carry forward the frustrated Social Democracy program that has been in stasis since 1975. I expect Jimmah 2 levels of ineffectiveness.
MSimon wrote:Now as to rolling back '68. Not going to happen. That was 40 years ago and most Americans have grown used to it. Leave us alone and quit screwing with the economy is all the conservatives have left as a common denominator.

Not necessarily roll back so much as stop the revolution. The current status quo frozen in place, no more "innovations."

And Roe could be quasi-overturned, abortion regulation sent back to state jurisdiction. Reasonable restrictions and limitations would be put in place, toleration with the 'no restrictions' Federal approach is not wide, but it would not be banned. There's a growing consensus that changing matters by instant Federal fiat was a serious mistake.
MSimon wrote:And screwing with Wall Street is not going to be popular with the 50% of Americans who own stock in their 401K plans.

Not so important when the value of your 401K is going into the tank. The actual conditions are coming to matter less and less. Market and public panic is starting to set in.

And it is a person that is smart. People are stupid. I doubt it will be thought out that exactly on a mass scale. Reregulation of the corrupt corporations is already looking very good.

Enron.
Worldcom.
Arthur Anderson.
Banks screwing people with securitized subprimes.
Bear Sterns.
Windfall oil profits.

All justifiable in an intellectual discussion of market practice in theory and reality. But these excesses don't really sell well in the court of public opinion.
MSimon wrote:If I wanted to throw a winning bombshell into the election I would come out in favor of med-pot. It has 70% to 80% approval rating and might swing California.

Decriminalization is something to add to the GOP 2.0 platform.

Ironically, the scolds of the Dem mommy party are likely to not want to stop trying to save the children. It justifies ever more expanse of their scope of power.
MSimon wrote:The culture war is over. Leave us alone has won. Out of our wallets. Out of our business. Out of our bedrooms.

That's just it. Its not over. The Left keeps salami slicing for ever more and more newly discovered "injustices"and "crises" that require the "compassionate" intervention of Federal social regulation.
MSimon wrote:darn - I wish we had some hot physics to discuss. We have about worked that to death until we get some reports from WB-7. At this point all we have is informed speculation.
Too true. :)
Vae Victis

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

MSimon wrote:Congress had more to do with killing the party than Bush did.

Can either of you gentlemen tell me what Congressional Republicans stand for? Beside "Bridges to No Where"? Bush's mistake of course was party loyalty. He gave the R Congress what it wanted.

In fact can any of you tell me what the Republicans running for Congress in this cycle stand for?
Congressional corruption & ineffectiveness didn't help. That's what drove the base to sit-out the election in 2006. Oh, and waiting until AFTER the election to can Rumsfeld was a particularly impressive piece of stupidity. Doing it before probably would've saved several House seats and at least 1 Senate seat.

But Shrub's disasters, and the party mechanisms following along in brain-dead lock step, were the true bullets to the brain.

Miers, attempting to betray the judges guarantees & put another Souter on the Court.

Katrina. Regardless of the law the POTUS is national leader and should've finessed the situation & forced matters. Instead he let Nagin blocade bridges into NO and stood by while the LA governor hid in a hotel suite having a breakdown. Meanwhile Shrub flew OVER NOLA. That level of clueless incompetence has never been forgiven.

"Stay the course" refusal to recognize that we had a continuity war on our hands and needed to switch over to counter-insurgency tactics and strategy. Clueless inflexibility.

Amnesty. Attempting to force another "amnesty first" approach down the throats of people fed up with being lied to about "amnesty, then enforcement" approaches that never see the follow up enforcement. The party machine came out and called the base bigots and racists. That was the final bloody straw. It killed the Reagan coalition like that final stake through a Sunnyville vampire's heart.
MSimon wrote:I'm a firm believer in "we get the government we deserve". What is the Republican vision? I don't see one. Pork? Fine with the Ds. They can buy R votes with our money.
The Reagan coalition is dead. Whatever new coalition and set of policies that coalesce will not be what we have known since 1978. I'm betting populist, reregulated finance & pro-SMALL business, moderated social conservative.
Last edited by djolds1 on Fri May 23, 2008 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vae Victis

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

drmike wrote:I don't think blame is the right thought process. The point of democracy is that a society learns from its mistakes the hard way. And it either accepts the mistake, or it dies. The majority of the people put these guys in power. It remains to be seen if the US society has learned anything from the past few years or not.
Conservative positions & fragments of the core policies (low taxes for at least the middle class, pro-SMALL business, moderate social conservatism/end the endless revolution) remain popular. All faith in the institutional leadership of the party that has claimed to champion those things, but has never done so in reality, is gone.

Factions will break off the GOP and transfer over to the Dems. The remnant GOP can then repackage itself as the populist party of social liberty. Possibly even against the war on some drugs. For instance, its not well known that Charlton Heston marched in support of civil rights. Civil rights and gun ownership are both aspects of INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY. So for that matter can be the use of cannabis.

Not your father's conservatism to be sure. But something the conservative GenY generation could be very comfortable with.

Duane
Vae Victis

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Shrub killed that. Well done. Idiot. Congress had more to do with killing the party than Bush did.
O ye of little perspective.

Lliberal democracies generally experience a natural, inevitable, beneficial oscillation around the center (let us call it POPS: Periodically Oscillating Political Spheres). France, Germany, Canada, and England have all moved from Left to Right, despite the wars and America's alleged unpopularity. Australia and the U.S. are moving from Right to Left, as Spain did a few years ago.

So we've had a few years for Repubs to screw up the country, and now they're losing power. After several years of being equally horrified at what the Democrats are doing, the country will move right again.

drmike

Post by drmike »

I find myself in violent agreement with most of this. I don't think the broad scheme of things is changing all that much, what I'm hoping is that the majority do like individual liberty and will find a way to make sure they keep it. If that majority actually votes libertarian, the Libertarians could take over where the Republicans have failed.

The whole left-right-left oscillation thing would change to an orbit around the "world's smallest quiz" plot. The only thing constant is change....

And discussion like this is always more fun than work!!

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

drmike wrote:I find myself in violent agreement with most of this. I don't think the broad scheme of things is changing all that much, what I'm hoping is that the majority do like individual liberty and will find a way to make sure they keep it. If that majority actually votes libertarian, the Libertarians could take over where the Republicans have failed.

The whole left-right-left oscillation thing would change to an orbit around the "world's smallest quiz" plot. The only thing constant is change....

And discussion like this is always more fun than work!!
Plus since most of it is more or less unprovable every one can go on thinking they are right. For the most part the lags are so large that feedback is almost totally useless.

Helius

Post by Helius »

Shrub's greatest enduring achievement will be moving the country effectively to the Left. Best since Hoover for doing that, and the GOP's current insistence on "market solutions" to the various market meltdowns is only doing it all the more.
Therein is the disconnect. The right confuses Adam Smith implied conservatism with our own current market contrivance "pro business" conservatism. Apparently those that play zero-sum games against the markets (no obvious losers) have a lot of support in the GOP.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Helius wrote:
Therein is the disconnect. The right confuses Adam Smith implied conservatism with our own current market contrivance "pro business" conservatism. Apparently those that play zero-sum games against the markets (no obvious losers) have a lot of support in the GOP.
I like the market melt down with respect to oil. Oh wait - government refuses to allow for drilling for oil off America's shores or the building of new refineries in America.

Or the explosion of health care costs. Why before government got involved health care, costs were rising at an unsustainable 5% a year. Now they are going up at a more reasonable 10% a year.

Every where you look you can find market failures - caused by government.

I know what the solution is though. More government. Them greedy capitalists need to be restrained. Maxine Waters is right. We need to nationalize the oil companies to bring oil prices down. Glad to see her speaking her mind and saying what so many think.