School Adiminstrators Confiscate Knife On Camping Trip

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Jccarlton

School Adiminstrators Confiscate Knife On Camping Trip

Post by Jccarlton »

Just unreal:
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/to ... -trip.html
As far as I'm concerned NOT taking at least a good knife on a camping trip is utter stupidity and I don't mean a little Swiss Army keychain either. The real world isn't like the nice little schoolyard and bad stuff happens. This is just unreal.

hanelyp

Re: School Adiminstrators Confiscate Knife On Camping Trip

Post by hanelyp »

There was an episode of Adam 12, C. 1969, where a kid was using a pocket knife on school grounds in front of police officers, and no one thought it was a big deal. We've come a long ways since then.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Hell, I remember letting my English teacher borrow my pocket knife in class in the mid '80s because she needed to open a cardboard box for some class supplies. She got the box, checked around her desk a bit before asking if anyone had a knife she could use. I think about five of us offered, and I happened to be the closest to her at the time.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

krenshala wrote:Hell, I remember letting my English teacher borrow my pocket knife in class in the mid '80s because she needed to open a cardboard box for some class supplies. She got the box, checked around her desk a bit before asking if anyone had a knife she could use. I think about five of us offered, and I happened to be the closest to her at the time.

When I was in sixth grade, one of the prizes I received for completing a book reading contest was an "old timer" pocket knife.

The Teacher GAVE me a knife. :)
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

palladin9479

Post by palladin9479 »

And nobody thought this would happen? This is the primary reason I'm against any "gun control" measure, things like that ALWAYS get applied out of context and used for things they were never meant to. "No Weapons on School Grounds" was the original rules and it was created to prevent knifes, swords, guns and other dangerous objects from being brought to a play ground where an accident could hurt someone. It's since been twisted into meaning any sharp object used anywhere that a liberal teacher things shouldn't be there. Many public institutions in the USA are failing due to bureaucratic thinking that involves the abuse and over-utilization of all power granted.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

palladin9479 wrote: "No Weapons on School Grounds" was the original rules and it was created to prevent knifes, swords, guns and other dangerous objects from being brought to a play ground where an accident could hurt someone.

It had nothing to do with "Accidents". It had to do with the fact that LBJ's Governmental programs had made fathers unnecessary , and the result of so many children raised without fathers was violent children with no restraint. A "Lord of the Flies" mentality.

Our society is not merely a collection of financial interactions. It only functions because there is a set of social rules which MOST people get taught as a child. Let individuals into the society without the necessary programing and they will damage and disrupt the society.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

necoras

Post by necoras »

Yep, that's rather absurd. I'm sitting at my desk job with a knife in my pocket. Nobody here would give it a second thought... I know this because I bought the knife here at work. I do remember accidentally leaving a pocket knife in my pants in elementary school and knowing I'd better not let anyone know I had it lest it get taken away. But that wasn't a camping trip. We all had knives on camping trips.

It sounds like most of the overreaction here was on the part of the school Principal. The kid's step mom was at the camp. There's no reason they couldn't have taken the knife from the kid, given it to the step mom, and said "sorry, policy is no knives. Not even small ones." It's a foolish policy, but the real problem here is the reaction of the Principal.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

palladin9479 wrote:And nobody thought this would happen? This is the primary reason I'm against any "gun control" measure, things like that ALWAYS get applied out of context and used for things they were never meant to. "No Weapons on School Grounds" was the original rules and it was created to prevent knifes, swords, guns and other dangerous objects from being brought to a play ground where an accident could hurt someone. It's since been twisted into meaning any sharp object used anywhere that a liberal teacher things shouldn't be there. Many public institutions in the USA are failing due to bureaucratic thinking that involves the abuse and over-utilization of all power granted.
But conservatives WANTED paternalism on the drug question. The POWERS are now taking that desire and running with it. Conservatives expected something different?

CONSERVATIVES gave up their liberty to solve their pet problem and now everyone wants their pet problem solved. And they plan to take more of your liberties to do it. And the precedent has conservative whole hearted approval. Can't get much better than "opponents of government" wanting more government for their pet projects.

What conservatives failed to reckon was that theirs are not the only pet projects. Nor are they the most popular.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

I have a kid in cub scouts and another in boy scouts. They get basic safety training and then are expected to carry all the time when we are on camping trips and hiking events. Nobody worries about 20-30 kids from age 8 through 17 all possessing them and no kid ever seems to do anything dangerous or irresponsible with them. The boys know the value of a good knife and they are in constant use when setting up camp, preparing food, and using them for making tinder and striking flint for sparks to get the cooking fire going.

I felt sad about sternly warning my own two kids to never carry outside of such scouting events without my permission. When I was a boy, I had a simple folding pocket knife in my possession frequently, along with other little bits of junk a typical kid would have in his pocket -- coins, string, gum, etc. I had this vision of one of my kids bringing their little folding scout knife by accident to school and our whole world getting turned upside down because of some reactionary teacher or staff person calling police or something.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Related hoplophobe insanity:
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/05/ ... s-as-guns/
Two Suffolk second graders have been suspended for making shooting noises while pointing pencils at each other.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

When is this retarded stupidity going to end?

It is completely out of hand at the behest of a minority of leftist extremeists chicken shits that want to hide behind the skirts of their mothers for their entire lives. Since mommy has moved on, they now seek the state to become mommy for them.

Such horseshit. It disgusts me.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

JLawson

Post by JLawson »

ladajo wrote:When is this retarded stupidity going to end?
When the money runs out. When the economy crashes, and people actually have to work at survival (at something) instead of spending time figuring out the next thing they can fuss at someone else about.

You have stereotypical neighborhood busybodies doing their darndest to get their whims and prejudices passed into law, and a lot of them have gotten a lot of stuff passed... and things aren't getting objectively better. I think it's long past time to tell them to go take a long walk off a short pier.
When opinion and reality conflict - guess which one is going to win in the long run.

rj40

Post by rj40 »

That kid just got his college education paid for. Laaawwwwwsuuuuuiiiiitttt!
Of course, the terms of the settlement will not be disclosed.

Just guessing on my part.

It looks like the school overreacted and/or decided to stop thinking and blindly follow what they believed to be the rules. As an earlier poster pointed out, why not just hand the knife to the step mom and tell her that they are not allowed? Why the institutional histrionics?

Or, maybe the kid had "priors?" Maybe it was a three strikes and your out situation? No mention of that, but it might be instructive to hear the schools side of things.

My ill-informed opinion anyway.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I doubt it will get much more mainstream. Maybe some local coverage. They screwed the pooch for sure.

My question is where is ACLU on these stupidities? Selective Agenda maybe...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

choff

Post by choff »

This is weird.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/time-t ... 6635389528

I had no difficulty having my own kid immunized as a baby, but both the anti-vaccine and pro-vaccine groups are getting a little off the wall IMHO.
CHoff