Iran's stealth fighter

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

choff

Iran's stealth fighter

Post by choff »

CHoff

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Looks plastic to me.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The static display appears to be a mock-up.
The video clip looks more like a model flying than a full size aircraft. Seems twitchy like a model would be.

In any event, it also looks extremely small which in turn brings for questions on payload capabilities. The engine intakes are also tiny, another question mark on power to weight, and take off weight, as well as performance envelopes.

And as always, just cause something looks Hollywood Stealthy, does not mean it really is. There is more to stealth than shape.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

choff

Post by choff »

I was thinking about that last night, and I came up with one explanation.

What if this airplane has a couple of rocket engines as opposed to jet engines, it doesn't break mach 1, meant to fly at wave top level. The landing gear are really ejectable takeoff gear. You don't need a retractable canopy, pressurized cockpit, ejection seat, even parachute and radar. You don't need enough fuel for a return flight, and you don't need weapons pods, the plane is the weapons pod.

Rocket powered, kamikaze stealth plane.
CHoff

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Admiral Nimitz, writing the new president of the War College shortly after World War II, made this candid observation about his experience in Newport:
“The war with Japan had been enacted in the game rooms at the War College by so many people and in so many different ways that nothing that happened during the war was a surprise—absolutely nothing except the kamikaze tactics toward the end of the war. We had not visualized these.”
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/people/sec ... _Forum.pdf
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

KitemanSA wrote:Looks plastic to me.
Looks plywood. Good analysis:

http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=18594

A poor design (Iran has a history of fake mockups), and the static model is sub-scale.
Last edited by djolds1 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vae Victis

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

ladajo wrote:The static display appears to be a mock-up.

And as always, just cause something looks Hollywood Stealthy, does not mean it really is. There is more to stealth than shape.
Too many sharp edges ,seal surfaces wrong, wing root wrong, control surfaces wrong, cockpit is a bubble that show all kinds of reflector surfaces. bubble blow distortion in the canopy, IMHO Ladajo is right, This thing is neither stealth or flyable. video looks like a J 37 Viggen

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The leading edges are not even straight. Watch Video.
The canopy has no sealing surface, nor latch mechanism.

God forbid you increase angle of attack, the intake airflow would be completely disrupted.

This thing is a toy at best. (Apparently for midgets and children).

I watched the flight sequence again, and it really does look like a scale model flying. Much too twitchy.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Some think they lied about the Monkey launch as well:

http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News ... ?id=301801

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

The exterior labels are in English, not Farsi. They must be planning to market this to the US after sequestration kicks in.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Maybe they bought it off of Ebay from a Hollywood Post-Production sale.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Looks like a model to me too.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

ladajo wrote:Some think they lied about the Monkey launch as well:

http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News ... ?id=301801
LOL, good catch!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I have seen better cockpits in cessnas.

[img> http://i.imgur.com/W9kBaPh.jpg </img]

Look like it is made of fiber glass.

No sealing & latching for canopy.

No combat equipment. No radar.

No reality.

<This is the editor speaking - you know how I hate page bleeds. Why not host it at photobucket or flikr and reduce the size? - Simon>

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The video is an RC Model.

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 4109_n.png

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 5182_n.png

And a Turkish breakdown of the instruments.

At least they won't get lost.

Too bad they couldn't fit a HUD in there as well. ACM & Shooting missiles and guns is going to be a bitch without it.