Guns Will Be Next

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Guns Will Be Next

Post by MSimon »

http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/29/the-d ... edical-rec

Obama Care has nothing to do with Medical Care. It is about control.

For your own good of course. And to please political constituencies.

We are so lucky that Obama won. Why? Because the right is getting a taste of its own medicine. On subjects it is opposed to such control.

Will the right be smart enough to call off the all the dogs for its own safety? Doubtful. The Right is just as Progressive as the Left. Just about different things. The mantra being "government will protect me from what I fear". Riggggggggght.

The Fourth Amendment is now useless in any situation where the government is trying to "protect".

I look forward to the collapse. It can't come soon enough. Perhaps we will learn something from it. Or not.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

William Roper: So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!
Sir Thomas More: Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
William Roper: Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!
Sir Thomas More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

A Man For All Seasons http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060665/quotes
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

djolds1

Re: Guns Will Be Next

Post by djolds1 »

MSimon wrote:http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/29/the-d ... edical-rec

We are so lucky that Obama won. Why? Because the right is getting a taste of its own medicine. On subjects it is opposed to such control.

Will the right be smart enough to call off the all the dogs for its own safety? Doubtful. The Right is just as Progressive as the Left. Just about different things. The mantra being "government will protect me from what I fear". Riggggggggght.

The Fourth Amendment is now useless in any situation where the government is trying to "protect".

I look forward to the collapse. It can't come soon enough. Perhaps we will learn something from it. Or not.
Here's to hoping Jim Woodward's theories are correct.

Its getting time to leave.
Vae Victis

palladin9479

Post by palladin9479 »

Another reason I'm not currently living in the USA.

Various administrative agencies are only concerned about themselves, they do not concern themselves with civil liberties. It's why you must limit the power of the federal government whenever possible, they will always abuse it eventually.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

I have two words for if they try to disarm the American People, "Lexington" and "Concord".

williatw

Post by williatw »

hanelyp wrote:I have two words for if they try to disarm the American People, "Lexington" and "Concord".
As some people here have suggested, that would be much more true in a time when only men had the vote. Women just seem more susceptible to emotional arguments couching gun control as "protecting the children", regardless of the logical inconsistences. Notice the pro-gun arguments of some of the women testifying in the recent Senate hearings on gun control deliberately didn't get a lot of play in most of the main stream media outlets. The gun rights people are wise to try to get women like Suzanna Hupp testify, the same arguments coming from another woman seem far more convincing to most women than coming from a man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/29/the-d ... edical-rec

Never let it be said that you won't force the wrong lesson out of the available information.

Right. Addictive narcotics and guns are exactly alike.

MSimon wrote: I look forward to the collapse. It can't come soon enough. Perhaps we will learn something from it. Or not.

Only the generations most connected with events learn any lessons from them. I perceive that both American and Europe has already forgotten the lesson of the Holocaust. We are now walking right back into that same deadly path which lead to the first one.

And here you fritter about the notion that guns and the indulgence of drugs are equal and worthy of the same degree of protection. This is not a serious position for a reasonable person.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

djolds1 wrote:

Amen to that. But wherever we go, we will take the same sort of problems with us. It's built into our DNA.

Leaving will only create a temporary respite.

While we are on that subject, it occurs to me that a space elevator might be far more practical for Mars than for Earth. Just sayin.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

williatw

Post by williatw »

Diogenes wrote:
djolds1 wrote:

Amen to that. But wherever we go, we will take the same sort of problems with us. It's built into our DNA.

While we are on that subject, it occurs to me that a space elevator might be far more practical for Mars than for Earth. Just sayin.
Think we will need Sonny White & Woodward's work to both pan out. I believe Heinlein said something about that once a place gets to the point where ID cards are needed, that collapse is not that far off, and that it is probably time to move on. He went on to say something to the effect that space travel makes that a doable proposition.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Diogenes wrote:
djolds1 wrote:Here's to hoping Jim Woodward's theories are correct.

Multi-century respite(s). Number of iterations unknown but extensive for this galaxy alone.
Diogenes wrote:While we are on that subject, it occurs to me that a space elevator might be far more practical for Mars than for Earth. Just sayin.
Yes, elevators are more practical off-Earth. And material tech keeps advancing, so on-Earth practicality gets ever closer. OTOH, an elevator or something similar is a capital-intensive hero project; huge front-end costs.
Vae Victis

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

djolds1 wrote:
Diogenes wrote:
djolds1 wrote:Here's to hoping Jim Woodward's theories are correct.

Multi-century respite(s). Number of iterations unknown but extensive for this galaxy alone.
Diogenes wrote:While we are on that subject, it occurs to me that a space elevator might be far more practical for Mars than for Earth. Just sayin.
Yes, elevators are more practical off-Earth. And material tech keeps advancing, so on-Earth practicality gets ever closer. OTOH, an elevator or something similar is a capital-intensive hero project; huge front-end costs.

I'm thinking that it is really a lot more practical way of getting cargo down onto the planet. Just drop a line down from space, and get a robot to create an anchorage.

Getting cargo down is easy. Getting stuff back up is a lot more difficult.
— Lord Melbourne —

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Diogenes wrote:I'm thinking that it is really a lot more practical way of getting cargo down onto the planet. Just drop a line down from space, and get a robot to create an anchorage.

Most practical way to build an elevator is probably orbit to ground. But yes, that first 100km is the halfway-to-anywhere distance. Again - Woodward proving to be correct would be a massive boon - "reactionless" Mach effect thrusters would make that 100km so much easier.
Vae Victis

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

djolds1 wrote:
Diogenes wrote:I'm thinking that it is really a lot more practical way of getting cargo down onto the planet. Just drop a line down from space, and get a robot to create an anchorage.

Most practical way to build an elevator is probably orbit to ground. But yes, that first 100km is the halfway-to-anywhere distance. Again - Woodward proving to be correct would be a massive boon - "reactionless" Mach effect thrusters would make that 100km so much easier.

Yeah, but that would be too easy. :)

I've been following Woodward since before Polywell. Even wrote emails to John Cramer asking for updated information about his Mach Guitar. He never responded. I guess I probably ended up in the spam folder. :)

I took one look at the design they were attempting and thought to myself "that's going to oscillate like a sonofabich." Kept looking for an update for years. Finally ran across it. Yup, uncontrollable oscillations.

Anyway, the effect seems to be extremely difficult to produce and detect, and I am hoping that with better materials and possibly more expertise they will be able to tease out a reliable and stronger result.
— Lord Melbourne —

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

Diogenes wrote:
djolds1 wrote:Most practical way to build an elevator is probably orbit to ground. But yes, that first 100km is the halfway-to-anywhere distance. Again - Woodward proving to be correct would be a massive boon - "reactionless" Mach effect thrusters would make that 100km so much easier.
Yeah, but that would be too easy. :)
Quibbles, quibbles, quibbles. :P

A nice, easy Spacedrive would make space access SO choice. :)

Stardrive/Stargates look to be more difficult. I'm unclear on the wormhole mechanism Woodward is claiming. A conventional Morris-Thorne wormhole works as follows - "form the mouths together, move one mouth STL, 25 years later you have a link between Alpha Centauri and Sol." But Paul March has speculated on, and Jim Woodward seems to imply, the more sfnal "punch through" wormhole - "form gate to distant location instantly."
Diogenes wrote:Anyway, the effect seems to be extremely difficult to produce and detect, and I am hoping that with better materials and possibly more expertise they will be able to tease out a reliable and stronger result.
The switch to the next type of dielectric is billed to show massive improvements over the current generation. If those improvements fail to materialize, at the least, Tom Mahood's speculation that there is something damping out the effect would appear to be validated. If the nextgen version succeeds OTOH, its time to push to have NASA rebranded as NSIA (the National Space and Interstellar Agency).
Vae Victis

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Shouldn't that be NAIA, National Aerospace and Interstellar Agency? :D