Mother Jones: Assault Weapons Ban Won't Work

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

choff

Post by choff »

My point is that they had abuse and pain in society over 200 years ago and there was no large scale drug use. In fact life was tougher given the manual labour and absence of modern medicine, much of the abuse didn't come until the drug trade was established, in fact one feeds off the other.

These clowns are wrecking the economy because they're to big to fail, to big to jail. They break the rules when it suits them to the point of system collapse. When it does, they think the system brought in to replace it will serve them better, their inability to obey rules will destroy it soon after. They're no longer safe from each other from being above the law for so long.
CHoff

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

choff wrote:My point is that they had abuse and pain in society over 200 years ago and there was no large scale drug use.
Availability and practical concentration of drugs was also far less. Not to mention if someone did abuse drugs to the point of having a problem, sober neighbours and family would exert social pressure, all to often missing if today's twisted moral environment. Add in short sighted social welfare that allows people to live as parasites, and conditions are ripe for a growing drug culture.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:
And you assume drugs cause addiction. That is not scientific.

Another dumb question. If something doesn't exist, how can you get addicted to it?
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Diogenes wrote:
MSimon wrote:
drug addiction has no real science behind it.. now tell us the one about the tooth fairy again.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

paperburn1 wrote:
Diogenes wrote:
MSimon wrote:
drug addiction has no real science behind it.. now tell us the one about the tooth fairy again.

I don't know if you are talking to me or MSimon, but I do notice MSimon won't answer my simple questions. This is an all to common tactic he uses to deal with questions he doesn't like.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

palladin9479

Post by palladin9479 »

paperburn1 wrote:
Diogenes wrote:
MSimon wrote:
Eww what?

Addiction in general and addiction causing elements have been studied in length for a very long time. There are two basic kinds of addiction, psychological and physical. Physical addiction is when a substance alters the brain chemistry in such a way that the brain becomes reliant on the substances presence in order to function. Remove the substance and the brain will start to malfunction and cause what we term "withdrawal". Some substances are so bad that the withdrawal may cause death. Psychological addiction is when the regular use of a substance forms habits that become part of the daily rhythm. Most psychological addictions started as minor physical addictions, nicotine and caffeine use being the most common. Psychological addictions can be to anything, even normally non-addictive substances. It can be to behaviors, music and even thoughts.

You can find literature and papers that go WAY more into detail and it's pretty interesting. The human reward system can be abused in so many ways.

Something you may not know, the human brain is preprogrammed to be be addicted to food, specifically high caloric foods. Part of ancient survival instincts that have been passed on.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Simon has been proselytizing "drugs aren't addictive" for a long time. It is part of his propaganda campaign. Although he does seem to be stuck in Phase I.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)