Emotional Decision Making

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Teahive

Post by Teahive »

djolds1 wrote:
Teahive wrote:I don't know. What do you mean? I don't object to expression of moral convictions.
No, you're objecting to them being given the stature of law or equivalent custom.
I certainly object to laws that prevent me from doing what I consider right, or that force me to do what I consider wrong. I'd expect others to do the same, from their moral point of view. Laws that are not universally supported thus create friction, and there's only so much discontent a society can take before it deep rifts show up.

Diogenes

Re: Emotional Decision Making

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:I look at the science.

http://classicalvalues.com/2012/07/emot ... on-making/

Didn't I say this way back when, and everyone wanted to beat me up for it?

Yeah, emotional arguments work better. We only pretend to be rational, in fact, most people are far better motivated by emotion than by logic.

We tend to follow our hearts, not our brains.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Teahive wrote:
djolds1 wrote:
Teahive wrote:I don't know. What do you mean? I don't object to expression of moral convictions.
No, you're objecting to them being given the stature of law or equivalent custom.
I certainly object to laws that prevent me from doing what I consider right, or that force me to do what I consider wrong. I'd expect others to do the same, from their moral point of view. Laws that are not universally supported thus create friction, and there's only so much discontent a society can take before it deep rifts show up.
And the rifts are showing up. Watch Colorado this November. I'm putting up

A Social Look At Libertarianism - follow the links you will enjoy.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:
For example, one of the leading approaches to the study of political attitudes states that political conservatism is a form of motivated social cognition: people embrace conservatism in part "because it serves to reduce fear, anxiety, and uncertainty;...

http://sentimentsofrationality.blogspot ... stand.html
Oh. Yes. If you have been following along some of the other threads that is exactly the point I have been making about some of our conservative friends.

They hate that.

Being constantly misrepresented? Yes, we do hate that, but for some reason you keep doing it anyway. Presumably you either enjoy doing it, or really can't see how distorted is your perception.

MSimon wrote: Politics is in the main a fear driven activity. To get meta to it you have to be mostly free of fears. i.e. you can't let your gut drive your thought. It leaves you without reason.
Fear is very like a spear. So is your analysis. Too simplistic.

MSimon wrote: Carl Sagan looked at that in his "Dragons of Eden" book.

Cite Carl Sagan, and I automatically dismiss any point you attempt to make.

MSimon wrote: When we live in fear we are little better than animals.

Which is why conservatives hate libertarians. "What? You are not afraid of X? What is wrong with you?" In fact just telling them they should be free of fear (it was at one time referred to as "Trust In God") drives them into a frenzy. Which gives a fine object lesson to the lurkers.

You know I'm going to have to write this up. Thanks for the link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I reject your observations and your premise. If there is any "fear" motivating conservatives, it is in an abstract sense. Certainly no one thinks "fear" when they object to being taxed excessively. I would suggest rebellion, or anger over loss would be more appropriate emotions to describe their feelings on the subject.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:My attitude is: what ever comes up I will deal with it. What is the point of being afraid?

Here is a comment I left there:

You don't get libertarians. They are not morally impoverished. They are free of fear (mostly).

Which makes them a whole other animal compared to the left or the right.

In a different age it would have been said "They Trust in God". So important it is even printed on our money.

Yeah, they are free of "Fear" alright.

Or prudence, which is a variation on the same theme.
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Scanning quickly through the other "libertarian" comments convinces me that I'm not interested in playing this silly game.
— Lord Melbourne —